MA LONG SERVE TRAINING - Slow Motion, Short Form, Rare Private Record.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Many thanks from my side for the video!

but! but! but!
on the on side the service is amazing, on the other the service is hidden... and no one of the officials (referees) says anything.
in the slow motion the evidence that ML throw the ball perfectly vertical, but after that he set down the head and the torax over the ball hidind the movement and the moment when the ball is touched by the racket.

if this guys, the best of, are allowed tacitly to play hidden services, we, on national/regional level will have no power to avoid this phenomenon, first because no one will be able / has no pleasure to discuss with the opponent (no real objective rule due to interpretation of the seen), second because the example of "the best of" indicates that the hidden way is at end winning.
poor table tennis...
the rule must be revisioned asap!!!
this is my opinion!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
watch carefully, not all the serves are behind the head , may be a few here and there ... its the parallax effect of the camera angle ... if you see carefully he is contacting the ball in front of his nose and not below his chin ...
Many thanks from my side for the video!

but! but! but!
on the on side the service is amazing, on the other the service is hidden... and no one of the officials (referees) says anything.
in the slow motion the evidence that ML throw the ball perfectly vertical, but after that he set down the head and the torax over the ball hidind the movement and the moment when the ball is touched by the racket.

if this guys, the best of, are allowed tacitly to play hidden services, we, on national/regional level will have no power to avoid this phenomenon, first because no one will be able / has no pleasure to discuss with the opponent (no real objective rule due to interpretation of the seen), second because the example of "the best of" indicates that the hidden way is at end winning.
poor table tennis...
the rule must be revisioned asap!!!
this is my opinion!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
if parallax or not, behind or not, at the end, and as "normal", all players are going to the limit and a little (or more than a litte) over the rule.
The touching point between racket and ball is definitively not to see. The rule says that nothing must be in between vertically among ball (by touching) and the net holders (triangle). I do not discuss, I will not, but between the services of ML (he was an example due to the rallentie videos) and all other top players and the rule...
yes, parallax, point of view of officials, ecc. the rule is written and is for all clear. a pity situation, or?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
While I am not sure ML violated the service rule I really think it is too difficult (or expensive) to enforce the rule. Remember back to the old days when we used to watch how beautiful and tricky Waldner' serves were! Such hidden serves are an art in table tennis and should be allowed!

I don't know.

While i think it's nice that you acknowledge the art of serving 'tricky', your opinion is pretty unique and opposite to most TT-viewers opinions that seemed to be getting tired of watching 3-ball (or even 2-ball) 'rallies', which has been one of the reasons why the hidden serve rule has been implemented.

Nowadays i see this rule rather as a moral thing pretty much like the booster rule since both rules are nearly impossible to be enforced properly.
IMHO more like:
It's not a crime doing it, but a real Gentleman should be able to do without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
ma long serves are ok but anything special to watch or analyse .....he has plenty of variations (most of them are average . reverse pendulum short backspin looks incredible.... but he is not using it in the gaame) but in the game is pretty simple short and long ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Not sure how you formed your opinion on this ... its looks simple but its deceptive ... in fact I have read a lot of interviews of top international players that say that Ma Long's serve is one of the most difficult to read .. I am not a Ma Long Fan ... just saying based on what I have read ...
... and also don't at all subscribe to Tropical's view point on serves ... I think its a good thing that hidden serves have been eliminated from the game .. its just ITTF should do more to implement the rules properly and it has to start from the international level down ... I have always felt , having one/ few more umpires for the serve itself should solve the problem .. somebody who can just observe the legality of the serve from the appropriate angle of the receiver ... its a shame that almost 80% of lefty serves are illegal and as a right hand player receiving a lefty serve you have no other option than cheat on the footwork and creep towards the forehand corner before the serve to just see the contact ...

ma long serves are ok but anything special to watch or analyse .....he has plenty of variations (most of them are average . reverse pendulum short backspin looks incredible.... but he is not using it in the gaame) but in the game is pretty simple short and long ...

Last edited:
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
imho i trying to understand serves more than anything and it is my passion ... i stay on my words.... ma has a good serves but Xu Xin is better in serves . but still there are better players ... like Timo for example

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
A little bit off topic maybe, but cannot help posting Dima's replies in German forum. Really want to have this kind of insider discussions.
1. Comments on CNT players' services
cache.php

2. How he chose what kind of services
cache.php

3 Fault services and umpires
cache.php

4. Timo's BH services
cache.php

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Can someone please translate? :)

A little bit off topic maybe, but cannot help posting Dima's replies in German forum. Really want to have this kind of insider discussions.
1. Comments on CNT players' services
cache.php

2. How he chose what kind of services
cache.php

3 Fault services and umpires
cache.php

4. Timo's BH services
cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I always thought that it was righties who had the dodgy serve. Especially down the line

Not sure how you formed your opinion on this ... its looks simple but its deceptive ... in fact I have read a lot of interviews of top international players that say that Ma Long's serve is one of the most difficult to read .. I am not a Ma Long Fan ... just saying based on what I have read ...
... and also don't at all subscribe to Tropical's view point on serves ... I think its a good thing that hidden serves have been eliminated from the game .. its just ITTF should do more to implement the rules properly and it has to start from the international level down ... I have always felt , having one/ few more umpires for the serve itself should solve the problem .. somebody who can just observe the legality of the serve from the appropriate angle of the receiver ... its a shame that almost 80% of lefty serves are illegal and as a right hand player receiving a lefty serve you have no other option than cheat on the footwork and creep towards the forehand corner before the serve to just see the contact ...