Tensor vs chinese

So better choise is to try tensors.
I don't know why you want a lower throw on the FH, but if it is so, you will need a softer rubber on the FH. Usually its the opposite, but depends on style and stronger wing.
If it's your case, I would suggest Xiom Omega V Asia on the BH and Xiom Omega V Tour on the FH. For me it's the opposite.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Try both.But try the best of each.
And don't try a hard chinese tacky rubber on your backhand. That's unhelpful

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone:

Hard tacky rubber are better at very specific aspects:
1) Generating a ton of spin on low energy balls (like serves and serve returns)
2) Accuracy in low power shots (tackiness+hard sponge)
3) More powerful than anything if you topspin with a lot of power (hard sponge=speed, tack=able to grab the ball in angles that would be difficult for non-tacky rubbers)
4) Easy to alter the pace of the game (hard sponge, tack, no tensor, meaning that you can return a ball very fast or surprisingly slow if you want)

While tensors are better at being consistently fast, which is great with:
1) Low power reaction shots, but only against medium speed balls (IE the late-reaction-block, cuz it'll be returned with speed)
2) Medium power shots (which are the great majority of shots for beginner/club level players)
3) Require less effort to play quality shots

Secondary differences are that:
1) Chinese rubbers are much, much cheaper generally
2) Chinese hard/tacky rubbers are, in my experience, longer lived. The hard rubber 'breaks in' and remains good forever basically, and the tackiness takes a loooooong time to go away completely (actually never happened to me yet), and the thing about tackiness is that even a little bit of tackiness is enough to grip the ball at the same level as a brand new non tacky rubber. Granted, I always keep my chinese rubbers under a plastic sheet, while I don't do that with my tensors.
3) Chinese hard/tacky rubbers are extremely vulnerable to moisture and dirt. If you play in a badly air-conditioned, dirty place, you can kiss the rubber goodbye after like 15 minutes of play, until you clean it well and let it dry well. If the air where you play is very humid, there is no hope for you.

My suggestion:
Try the 729 Battle II as a tacky rubber. Ask for hardness 45. It's a "modern" chinese rubber.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Unless you have PERFECT technique and footwork you would have a lot much easier time with the s2. They are very different s2 is a soft euro rubber and thee h3 is much harder. H3 is also good for players who want to improve their technique and footwork, as it is not very forgiving, but you will suffer a bit in match play.