Tenergy for "BEGINNER"

Maybe I'm not a beginner but more of a lower level intermediate player but when I started out with TT again as an adult I rapidly moved from Mark V (too bouncy) to Bluefire M2 (wore down too fast). I then went to the main TT shop in my area (TTex) and basically told them that "I'm an adult, I can afford it - which Tenergy shall I use?" fulfilling my old dream of playing with the best stuff there is. I realized that "best" is a relative term but I still wanted to try.

I was surprised when the TTex guys (reluctantly, but still) adviced me to go for T64 or maybe T64fx. Being marketed as the fastest Tenergy that suggestion surprised me. But my finding is that "fast" is very much based on the fact that it has a lower trajectory than the other Tenergy's. It is far more forgiving and holds the ball longer than e.g. the T80 which I have been using now for six months on my forehand. Being in the wrong position (and at my level that is more common than being in the correct position;)) I still land more balls on the table with the T64 than with T80. It grabs the ball so that I can stand in an outrageouos position but still, with just a wrist movement, land the ball just over the net with huge amount of spin.

So if you want to try out Tenergy I would say there is a surprisingly large difference between, in my case, the T64 and the T80 and the T64 is what I would suggest to begin with. But I guess it all comes down to playing style and level of play, of course.

That said, I will always be curious of what would happen if I went for something completely different. As I said, I've tried the Mark V, which didn't suit me at all, and Bluefire M2. Maybe something really controllable. Or something just different? Or... Or... I'm fighting that EJ guy sitting on my left shoulder.:rolleyes:

Hey there! Thanks for the reply! I also live in sweden and got my rubber at TTex! :)

it can be done with a coach but not all can achieve the level they want and not all have the capabilities to truly use tenergy as a beginner. I would rather go to the safe choice of a cheap set up.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Tenergy is fine for a beginner, especially one who is getting coaching. The longer you use the same rubber (and blade too) the more adapted you will get to that setup. So the idea that you start with somethig slow, and every so often change doesn't make a ton of sense. Little coached kids who are serious about tt start out ising a tb alc with t05 or t64, why can't you?

There are two reasons not to use tenergy in the OP. If you can't afford to replace it and no one else will buy it for you. Tenergy lasts a long time, but you still have to replace it.

If your coach really doesn't want you to use t64, and you do, then you should choose another coach. It usually doesn't work that well to pay someone for advice and then ignore the advice. I don't mean you should take his advice on this, just that if you think he's wrong on this, it's probably not going to be the only thing.

Reactions: Heathrow
This user has no status.
Tenergy is fine for a beginner, especially one who is getting coaching. The longer you use the same rubber (and blade too) the more adapted you will get to that setup. So the idea that you start with somethig slow, and every so often change doesn't make a ton of sense. Little coached kids who are serious about tt start out ising a tb alc with t05 or t64, why can't you?

You have a point. But who starts out using such equipment :eek: I have only ever seen new starters playing with premade beginner bats usually ALL blades with Sriver or flextra type rubbers. After around 3-6months thats when I see (usually from recommendations by the coach) they settle with an ALL+ OFF- blade with typical easier to use ESN rubbers with the softer sponges. I have seen some using Tenergy but they usually have been playing for longer. I dunno maybe it's just UK or maybe I am out of the loop now.

The thing is for the OP, it's not really a beginner rubber but if you have a consistent technique down then you can get away with it providing you play regularly and in matches and pressure play you are always sticking to the technique and not changing it because of control issues