What is this receiving stroke called?

This user has no status.
just a newbie question, but the point at 11:19 into the clip when score is 4-4 we see Dima receiving FZD's serve.

From what i see it looks kind of like a push but racket face tilted to Dima's left to adjust for the sidespin.

Except what i don't understand is that the return has a fairly neutral bat angle and so doesn't look like a push exactly. Was incoming ball backspin or topspin?

And, What is Dima's return called? and most importantly, what spin combination was actually on FZD's serve here?

https://youtu.be/5rHYEbuZN9c?t=679

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Was incoming ball backspin or topspin?

And, What is Dima's return called? and most importantly, what spin combination was actually on FZD's serve here?

Looks like a mild sidespin, nospin or very light topspin on the top/under axis.

Dimas return is a well-placed push.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I think it was a short sidespin push. FZD's serve had topspin to the right direction. You can see that the ball jumps when it bounces on Dima's side. A side-backspin ball would slow down, a pure sidespin ball wouldn't jump either. If you catch the ball at the right point (just like Dima did) it becomes a ....well, I don't know, a side-backspin, mostly sidespin ball usually, but the direction might change because of a lot of things. FZD wanted to keep it short and he wanted to do execute a dropshot (like a push, but with minimal forward motion), but it popped up. Probably he should try to do a short push or touch the ball on a slightly different place.

Last edited:
Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
It is just sidespin. You can see he contacts the back of the ball and rubs the ball towards him. No backspin at all. This sidespin will go back to FZD serving position naturally thus you have to counter it the other way

In chinese dima receive is called “bai duan” literally translating to make short (not sure what its called in english). It is a technique that i have seen more european players use. The way u do it is like dima place the bat and angle it away from where its going to go so it doesnt fly off the table. You can do it by like dima holding the bat in the position or what some players do do a chop straight down in that position. This can actually create underspin back and sometimes they hit the table and you can hear the sound “kok”

Cheers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
In german table tennis terms it is called a "Waldner-Schupf". As ajtatosmano2 already precisely explained, it is an "almost no-force" to just a "little-force" push when at the same time putting sidespin on the ball. Sorry for my bad english. :(

Some people rub sideways to add sidespin however in this case he did not add it at all just pushing it back to counter the sidespin direction. The sidespin is not lost from the serve so there will be a little but dima definitely did not add any sidespin there

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think the serve had a lot of side spin , but short , dima just used the incoming spin to create a short junk ball ... one where the ball is short low but spinning with a little "off balance" axis .. meaning a little like a ball from long pips rubber ... thats the reason along with the precise placement why FZD decided to not attack it and pushed it back instead ...

Reactions: Der_Echte
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
That stroke is called Wilhelm. The one that comes after it is named Karl.

(Sorry).

Reactions: ttmonster