Save the Rainforest

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Here's a fine blade by Nittaku, the Forestia. Made of used kiso hinoki. I actually own one but never got around to using it. Just letting conscientious table tennis players know its out there.

21711491177876_506.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Here's a fine blade by Nittaku, the Forestia. Made of used kiso hinoki. I actually own one but never got around to using it. Just letting conscientious table tennis players know its out there.

cache.php

Man, you can't encourage them by buying the used kiso hinoki blade so that people are profiting off the evil deed of cutting the trees *twice*. Just stay of all kiso hinoki.

On a more serious note, man, I love my hinoki.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

cache.php

Hahahaaa
[Emoji23]
BTW: Here´s what Nittaku writes for our worried members.
product_hosoku_5406.jpg
@richrf:
As i wrote in the other thread instead of waisting your energy on things that are well protected, rather stop that foolishness and worry about things that are more relevant and worth worrying. IMHO this whole convo and attitude is rather pseudo helpful.

After all i think we're pretty much on the same team.

A more fyah! Dat mi seh.

Last edited:
I calculated that the timber in my blade is less than 0.02% of the timber in my loudspeaker boxes, and less than 0.00001% of the timber in my flat furniture.
So it would be wise to concentrate green energy towerds more signifficant problems.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I calculated that the timber in my blade is less than 0.02% of the timber in my loudspeaker boxes, and less than 0.00001% of the timber in my flat furniture.
So it would be wise to concentrate green energy towerds more signifficant problems.

And i'm sure all those people that want to concentrate on green energy are also Vegan, and using electric cars etc, otherwise what they say on forums and how they live they lives equal one word: hypocrite!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
And i'm sure all those people that want to concentrate on green energy are also Vegan, and using electric cars etc, otherwise what they say on forums and how they live they lives equal one word: hypocrite!

Sorry Tony,

I don't think this is fair.
If one is longing for sustainable living you have to make a start at one point and then go from there.

And although i've been debating with richrf, mdp and a few others about this I'm quite surprised this is really coming from you.

Since you're also active on FB and most likely have some capetonian friends you probably have seen this post here that has gone viral in SA:
https://www.goodthingsguy.com/opinion/open-letter-captonian-water-crisis/
Hence I'm surprised of your trump-like ignorance.
Please excuse my strong language but climate change is neither a political agenda nor it is a freaking joke. It's more about awareness of what's happening around you!
The 20th of may 2k18 is effing real!!

YOU GUYS ARE RUNNING OUT OF F*CKING WATER!! I just hope it won't be as dramatic as forecasted.

And it's not only happening there. there are more places on our lovely planet that are drowning already!
Stuff can get effing dramatic when the sh*t hits the fan!

Ever heard of shishmaref a village in Alaska?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/us/shishmaref-alaska-elocate-vote-climate-change.html?/

Even China is starting to rethink their ecological behaviour.
http://www.climateactionprogramme.o...way-to-the-global-renewable-energy-revolution

So making jokes about this is not only a bit inappropriate and misplaced but completely off IMHO.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sorry Tony,

I don't think this is fair.
If one is longing for sustainable living you have to make a start at one point and then go from there.

And although i've been debating with richrf, mdp and a few others about this I'm quite surprised this is really coming from you.

Since you're also active on FB and most likely have some capetonian friends you probably have seen this post here that has gone viral in SA:
https://www.goodthingsguy.com/opinion/open-letter-captonian-water-crisis/
Hence I'm surprised of your trump-like ignorance.
Please excuse my strong language but climate change is neither a political agenda nor it is a freaking joke. It's more about awareness of what's happening around you!
The 20th of may 2k18 is effing real!!

YOU GUYS ARE RUNNING OUT OF F*CKING WATER!! I just hope it won't be as dramatic as forecasted.

And it's not only happening there. there are more places on our lovely planet that are drowning already!
Stuff can get effing dramatic when the sh*t hits the fan!

Ever heard of shishmaref a village in Alaska?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/us/shishmaref-alaska-elocate-vote-climate-change.html?/

Even China is starting to rethink their ecological behaviour.
http://www.climateactionprogramme.o...way-to-the-global-renewable-energy-revolution

So making jokes about this is not only a bit inappropriate and misplaced but completely off IMHO.

Your post is entirely inappropriate.

What he is saying is entirely fair - if you talk the talk, then walk the walk. I am a hypocrite when it comes to EJing - I tell people to stay with one blade then I change blades like I am losing sleep.

And if you are starting to live sustainably, good for you. The point is not to be accusing people of one thing and then doing another. Everyone needs to be held accountable.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
If you want to live sustainably and save the planet as we know it there is only one simple thing you need to do -- have zero children, or at most one. Then you can eat and drive and fly as much as you want, and even use rare ancient trees to make pingpong paddles, because you have done the one and only thing that will actually change the trajectory of environmental destruction. Everything else is just greenwash.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Your post is entirely inappropriate.

What he is saying is entirely fair - if you talk the talk, then walk the walk. I am a hypocrite when it comes to EJing - I tell people to stay with one blade then I change blades like I am losing sleep.

And if you are starting to live sustainably, good for you. The point is not to be accusing people of one thing and then doing another. Everyone needs to be held accountable.

This might be your opinion, but definitely not mine. I would just have to disagree there!
I could agree that there is not enough time for half-stepping, NL but everything else? Are you freakin daydreaming? Your arguement is absolutely not realistic and I´m sure you know it!

Were you actually willing and able to read the first link i've posted?
Capetown is probably gonna run dry on the 20th of May 2018 no matter how ignorant you remain.
BTW: from the quote you could have found out that my post was directed at Tony, and I wrote to him for a reason, since he stays in CT and most likely will be able to tell us first hand how serious things get.

If you want to live sustainably and save the planet as we know it there is only one simple thing you need to do -- have zero children, or at most one. Then you can eat and drive and fly as much as you want, and even use rare ancient trees to make pingpong paddles, because you have done the one and only thing that will actually change the trajectory of environmental destruction. Everything else is just greenwash.

Well that might be your opinion, but certainly not mine.
I could agree on the children, but not on greenwashing.
That's like saying everything is hopeless anyway.
I strongly refuse to believe so.
Instead of giving up from the start i rather prefer the opinion and the knowledge of those that try to find ways out of this.

It's easy to say so when one isn't related but when family members fear of dehydrating, 'cause their simply running out of water you might talk differently.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Suga D
You have just posted the most inappropriate post ever

I read that there is some people that is fussy about what blades made of and how it will "hurt our rain forest"
Now before you start linking websites to the whole planet, which I have no time or intention to open your links or comment thereof
back to what I am saying, if such fussy people can teach other peoples on what to do or what is morally incorrect to do, then such fussy people better be living super green, else one word - hypocrite with a capital H

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

Throughout Chinese 5000 year history.
Major disaster came when popular level was at a certain ratio to what resources was available
Then a huge population gets wiped out (at times it is near 50% of the population)

Over population is a huge problem in some parts, under population in some parts is also a huge problem.
Generally your 3rd worlds have too much kids and your 1st worlds are not having kids

But then again, resource wastage is a huge problem.
I guess I do my little bit as a vegetarian.
Since someone talked about water crisis, 1kg of steak takes more than 15000litres of water, whereby the Level 6 water crisis is asking 1 person to use 89 litres a day.
So if someone eats 100grams of steak (1500l), you just used over 2 weeks of water allowance

So can I say, limit meat is better than complaining about 250 year old wood?
Any ways, I'm not here to punt my views on others, nor trying to promote my belief out side table tennis

They don't like people using 250 year old woods, then good for you
They calling such companies making false advertising - I hope they sue them for millions, so they can use these money to plant more trees

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Suga D
You have just posted the most inappropriate post ever

I read that there is some people that is fussy about what blades made of and how it will "hurt our rain forest"
Now before you start linking websites to the whole planet, which I have no time or intention to open your links or comment thereof
back to what I am saying, if such fussy people can teach other peoples on what to do or what is morally incorrect to do, then such fussy people better be living super green, else one word - hypocrite with a capital H

Hahahaaa... you´re too funny.
[Emoji23]
What are you trying to prove with your childish reaction? Calling my post inappropiate after i´ve been calling yours likewise?
This is too much kindergarden for me...

Well I'm not here to force my beliefs on you. We could debate on which post is more inappropriate, but that will lead us nowhere.
All i can hope for is your evironmental awareness level rising.
Why not continue this convo end of may 2k18?
[Emoji6]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I just lost my respect for you, so bugger off

From your first response i doubt you ever had any.
:)
Mature reaction in dealing with criticism. Boo freaking hooo.....
Glad to know how you feel.
I hope i will be able to live with that. Thank you!
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I believe this is an issue that environmentalists must discus amongst themselves. If they can't convince themselves to practice what they preach then they will always have limited political power. No one finds boutique environmentalists with huge carbon footprints compelling.

Regarding table tennis, they have a few options:

- Switch to plastic paddles manufactured by Stiga and Cornilleau. If they can actually win tournaments with them then companies might be interested.
- Embrace TTX and make it popular through a grassroots movement.
- If those options are unsavory, and the love of wood is too strong, then the burden of proof is on the environmentalists to show that table tennis products have minimal impact on trees and global warming.

But I love hinoki too, so whatever you guys decide don't touch my septear. haha!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The ones who drive electric cars need to think of how their electricity is made, often with fossil fuels of forbid, nuclear. The ones driving these things thinking they are doing so many good stuff for planet are hypocrites as Tony rightfully contrasted.

I lived a good chunk of my adult life in Germany and was impressed and converted a good chunk of my environment views towards what Germans think, they really care about conserving, recycling, and reducing... these things are REAL and contribute well. Contrast that to the average USA person in Europe and you see the American as a wasteful environmental bandit, rightfully so.

I can see the concerns of both Suga D and Europe, as well as the practical view of Tony, regardless of how they structured their posts.

Reactions: Suga D
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Look at what average European drives if the family has 2 kids... IF they have a car... usually a very tiny Opel or Renault of Fiat... gets over 40 MPG or 7L per 100 km... Contrast that to USA people who insist and driving a 5000LB jumbo SUV that gets 1/3 to 1/4 of that... contrast that to how European city infrastructure is developed... USA people have to drive criss cross across town 3x to do basic stuff, Europeans zone stuff so you park once and walk around. Big help Europe does doing that.

I agree with the one who said we have much bigger fish to fry than who cut down what tree to make what blade when we have much larger waste issues at hand.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I am confused. What wood used in TT paddle grows in the rain forest?
I have NEVER heard of a TT blade manufacturer getting raided.
However, Gibson guitars have been raided but they don't really uses that much wood in a guitar.
There seems to be plenty of white and red cedar in Canada. I know, it is used for Japanese temples. The only problem is that the wood must be 'clear' ceder or perfect cedar like TT player expect in their blades.
BC Canada is not a rain forest at least not in the tropical sense. Obviously it does rain a lot in BC and in the Pacific North West.
In the Pacific North West there are plenty of Hinoki farms. It rains a lot in the Pacific North West but I would call the forest a rain forest. Most of the companies buying Hinoki are furniture companies since we don't have TT blade manufacturers in the Pacific North West.

This user has no status.
I believe this is an issue that environmentalists must discus amongst themselves. If they can't convince themselves to practice what they preach then they will always have limited political power. No one finds boutique environmentalists with huge carbon footprints compelling.

Regarding table tennis, they have a few options:

- Switch to plastic paddles manufactured by Stiga and Cornilleau. If they can actually win tournaments with them then companies might be interested.
- Embrace TTX and make it popular through a grassroots movement.
- If those options are unsavory, and the love of wood is too strong, then the burden of proof is on the environmentalists to show that table tennis products have minimal impact on trees and global warming.

But I love hinoki too, so whatever you guys decide don't touch my septear. haha!

Plastic Rackets are against the rules. The Blade must contain to a minimum of 85% of wood. Sorry. :p