Help Against Offensive Long Pips!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Oops, I was looking at his peak rating.

Aside from that, theres a lot of information that will help me.

I’m pretty sure hes using long pip but I’ll ask him either way.

Thanks so far!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Actually his current rating is 2227 not 2359 which is a significant difference.

It's still light-years away from 1500 something. In either case, the game count will be 3-0 for the foreseeable future.

To the OP... And yeah. If he's playing SP, that's a huge, huge difference from LP. Completely changes how you plan or attack vs him. Before you play someone, you should always know what their setup is. All you have to do is ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A side story but I remember when I was an up and coming 1100/1200 player. There was this guy who was 2100 in the club but because he had a car accident and missed playing with his right hand, he developed his left hand to a 1700 level or so. I struggled with his left hand and thought I was getting close to beating it. Then one day I did. I felt good with myself. I had defeated his left hand!

But someone watching told me that he was messing with me and that he hadn't played his best left-hand game. I was puzzled when told that but was still happy I won. The next time I played him, I got smashed again as if I didn't know what I was doing and this continued on and off for another year before I hit 1700. Today, since I can beat him 100% with if he plays with his left hand now, I can appreciate how good his left hand really was and what its strengths and weaknesses are vs. how I play. I really had no chance back then when I was 1200 even if I tried my best. But because I didn't get it, I might have been very demoralized if I hadn't been warned.

Nowadays, usually I play people with general shot quality. But when I really want to beat them, I try to reflect on what they like and don't like and really play their weaknesses hard. When he tries to beat you by playing your weaknesses, you will appreciate the gap in levels more sincerely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar and pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
A side story but I remember when I was an up and coming 1100/1200 player. There was this guy who was 2100 in the club but because he had a car accident and missed playing, he developed his right hand to a 1700 level or so. I struggled with his left hand and thought I was getting close to beating it. Then one day I did. I felt good with myself. I had defeated his left hand!

But someone watching told me that he was messing with me and that he hadn't played his best left-hand game. I was puzzled when told that but was still happy I won. The next time I played him, I got smashed again as if I didn't know what I was doing. Today, since I can beat him 100% with if he plays with his left hand now, I can appreciate how good his left hand really was and what its strengths and weaknesses are vs. how I play. I really had no chance back then when I was 1200 even if I tried my best. But because I didn't get it, I might have been very demoralized if I hadn't been warned.

Nowadays, usually I play people with general shot quality. But when I really want to beat them, I try to reflect on what they like and don't like and really play their weaknesses hard. When he tries to beat you by playing your weaknesses, you will appreciate the gap in levels more sincerely.

Yup, +1 on that. I've played some of my club mates (better than me, but not by a lot, meaning that I do have a small chance of beating them) frequently enough, both in tournaments and in the club - and by now I can tell whether they are playing to win with their A game, sticking with their B approach, or just experimenting with some aspect of their game, because match itself has no significance.

When I'm playing someone 600+ points above me, I'm pretty sure I won't see their A game, they just don't need it. May be for a point or two here and there. :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I took a look at the OP, about to answer it, then realize it is irrelevant. The gap difference is so huge and people still want to offer advice.:eek:
The best advice is from someone who said be prepared to lose 0-3 and learn about how to be better. I have never beaten a player who is 300 pts above me. I may get a game or two if I am lucky .. very lucky.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I took a look at the OP, about to answer it, then realize it is irrelevant. The gap difference is so huge and people still want to offer advice.:eek:
The best advice is from someone who said be prepared to lose 0-3 and learn about how to be better. I have never beaten a player who is 300 pts above me. I may get a game or two if I am lucky .. very lucky.

I mean, OP does happen to have a specific player in mind... but I don't think it's bad to solicit tips from playing against a specific type of player (as the title of this thread suggests). Alot of development especially at OP's level come from devising preset tactics against different styles.

Reactions: Der_Echte and Clu37
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews

It's always fun to find out tactics, especially when we have a specific player with multiple videos. ;)
And it might worth a few more points.

Reactions: Clu37

NDH

says Spin to win!
The one massive frustration from reading through threads like this is the lack of video from the OP (USTT rating gap aside).

In something so technical as TT, putting a video (any video), of your matches/practice/anything at all, will go a long way in getting useful advice!

It should be compulsory..... If you want advice, upload a 5 minute clip of you playing someone of (roughly) the same ability!

EDIT****

To add to this..... The USTT rating still boggles my mind when trying to compare to people in the UK - There should definitely be some kind of global ranking system (impossible I know).

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I Was waiting for today to upload a video, sorry for the delay! I havent had time this week to go practice so...

NDH

says Spin to win!
I Was waiting for today to upload a video, sorry for the delay! I havent had time this week to go practice so...

It wasn’t meant to sound quite as aggressive as it did!

General technical help is great, and this forum has it in spades.

The video of you playing won’t help with this specific issue you have - it will merely give people an idea of your standard, and then the advice can be tailored accordingly.

Theres no no point in me saying you should banana flip the return of serve, follow it up with a forehand loop from under the table, and then kill him with a switch hand drive down the line....... if you aren’t that level of player (Can I get a TIMO!?)

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
To add to this..... The USTT rating still boggles my mind when trying to compare to people in the UK - There should definitely be some kind of global ranking system (impossible I know).
It's not impossible, just it would be inaccurate. Imagine that someone with 90% win rate in...for example Hungary would have the same rating as someone with 90% win rate in China with roughly the same amount of tournaments in a year. But a standardized system would be good. Here in Hungary the rating depends on the amount of tournaments you participate. The best way to describe someone playing level is to tell a league+percentage combination.