First Bat Advice please

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Yes, it was either that or the Sweden Extra...

Teesport was more expensive :/

Ive read the reviews on it and many recommend it for beginners and also in this thread, i believe carl suggested it

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi All,

I am about to place my order for the following:

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
Rubbers: Vega Europe BH & FH 2.0

Only thing im unsure on is whether to swap out the FH to a Vega PRO? and im still not 100% sure i have made the right choice on rubber thickness.

Does this setup look ok?

The cheapest place for shipment to UK came out as TT11, i have a few questions if anybody can help:

Do they provide a case (Even if basic) with new bats?

Do they use their own edge tape or will i need to buy that separate?

Are their any discount codes floating about? i see they often give some out ?

Thanks everyone again for all your help getting me this far!

I think that setup will be great.

Primorac Off- is an excellent blade for someone starting out. It is one of the best beginner blades out there today.

Vega Europe on both sides should be fine. But you would be fine with Vega Pro for FH as well. So it is a personal choice.

2.0 or Max, you heard what I had to say on it. There will be people who say go thinner and people who say go Max. Werner Schlager's opinion, I trust his more than anyone's on the forum. Even if I came to the same conclusion on my own before hearing him explain why he feels Max is important. But I would still have to see you play for me to make a response that was based on anything real. And 2.0 is really a fine thickness.

The perspective that Ndragon is presenting, there are people who will agree with him. And there is never anything wrong with getting something slower that makes you have to work harder. But learning to use the equipment is also part of what will happen with the racket you are choosing. It may take a short time to get used to whatever you get because it is so different from what you have been using when you play. But you will get used to it. And you are choosing something that is excellent for someone at the level you have described yourself to be.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
The cheapest place for shipment to UK came out as TT11, i have a few questions if anybody can help:

Do they provide a case (Even if basic) with new bats?

Do they use their own edge tape or will i need to buy that separate?

Thanks everyone again for all your help getting me this far!

From what I can see, TableTennis11 do not stock Butterfly equipment, so you won't be able to use them to buy the blade you want.

If you buy from Thorton's Table Tennis (which is based in the UK), the cost will be:

XIOM Vega Europe Red = £31.99
XIOM Vega Europe Black = £31.99
Butterfly Primorac Offensive = £36.99
Postage: £2.99
Bat make-up service = Free

Total = £103.96

If you select the bat make up option, they will cut the rubbers, glue to the blade and put tape over the edge of the rubbers.

You will need to buy a separate bat case, which you can also do through Thornton's Table Tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Oh really? IT let me add the Butterfly blade to my basket and start to go through checkout...will it stop me then? Thats quite a significant difference in price as the Rubbers are about £26 when converted form Euros

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Oh really? IT let me add the Butterfly blade to my basket and start to go through checkout...will it stop me then? Thats quite a significant difference in price as the Rubbers are about £26 when converted form Euros

Maybe we're not looking at the same website. When you said TT11, I thought you were talking about this site: http://www.tabletennis11.com/.

Please send a link to the website you are looking at.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Capture.JPGCapture1.jpg

Edit : i just noticed they added Tax which has changed the price from the price on the rubbers page , listed as 29.92 but then shows as 35.90 in the basket

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Ok, you should absolutely contact them before you go any further. When I look at this Butterfly blade on my computer I get a message which says:

"We are sorry, however this product is not available for United Kingdom."

So not sure how you managed to add to your basket, as I cannot. They may not have a license to sell Butterfly equipment in the UK. You should call them to clarify this before placing the order. They may say it is ok, in which case go ahead and make the order, but you should check with them first.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I think i know why.....im on my work PC and our IP address shows us as in Germany for some reason...totally forgot!

View attachment 14841View attachment 14842

Edit : i just noticed they added Tax which has changed the price from the price on the rubbers page , listed as 29.92 but then shows as 35.90 in the basket

First - are you shure you're not messing euro with pounds?
Second - upon check-up if you use PayPal most often it's better to use "your bank" exchange rate, rather than PayPal. It makes difference.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
UK is out of the Butterfly distribution for TT11. But if you can get it through and they deliver it to you without realizing, that would save you some money despite the change in price on the rubbers as a result of VAT.

My converter tells me:

105€ = 93£

104£ = 118€

So if you can get that to slip past the computer, why not. But for 13€ (11£) more, you know you are safe because you will be buying from within the Butterfly distribution region for UK.

But I have always wondered why prices in UK are so much higher than everywhere else. [emoji4]

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder

NDH

says Spin to win!
For what it's worth - I recently had some Butterfly rubbers delivered from Sweden to the UK.

I don't believe shops are supposed to do this (hell.... every UK shop who sells Butterfly has to buy it from Tees Sport anyway!)

But.... If you can get away with it, then great.

Also, this may be controversial but...... Blade lacquering used to be important when people used Speed Glue, and non water based glues...... Now however, I've read plenty of reports of people's rubbers not sticking properly due to their blade being lacquered in some way.

I didn't lacquer my blade (for the first time ever), and I've had no problems replacing the rubbers 3/4 times per year.

Lastly..... as it's your first "proper" bat.... Definitely get the make up service - The shops always make it look nice than you'll ever achieve unless you have a chunk of bat assembling experience.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Where is Carl's NSA Spy Phone when you need it. Goon Squad won that round... but next time we will see.

In the company, Der is the janitor and I am the janitor's assistant. The CEO is stockpiling Karis M because the goon squad has been sending drones and autopilots after his stash. Der showed the CEO how to use Pokemon Go to throw the artificial intelligence off the trail and get them to fall through the trap door on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Thanks! Next time when I visit the company, I'll make sure to stop by and say hello to the experienced janitors staff and the hardworking CEO's Karis M.

[classified side notes]
As for the NSA flavored phoney users I'll be closely watching the readout and Let you know if anything raises my suspicious mind. Just have the Goon Squad ready when I drop the note. You'll have the Eastern Blue lights and a safe passage through the traps. But for whatever is holy to you, keep the autopilots on! Otherwise Der_'s will catch us into the scintillating hula hoop trance!

Yours Best, J.
; )

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For what it's worth - I recently had some Butterfly rubbers delivered from Sweden to the UK.

I don't believe shops are supposed to do this (hell.... every UK shop who sells Butterfly has to buy it from Tees Sport anyway!)

But.... If you can get away with it, then great.

Yep. If they make the mistake, it can happen. :)

Also, this may be controversial but...... Blade lacquering used to be important when people used Speed Glue, and non water based glues...... Now however, I've read plenty of reports of people's rubbers not sticking properly due to their blade being lacquered in some way.

I didn't lacquer my blade (for the first time ever), and I've had no problems replacing the rubbers 3/4 times per year.

Some people don't like sealing. Some people do. I like that it protects the wood from the water in the glue. The water in the glue, over time can make your blade play slower and give it a less crisp feeling. In the end, either is fine these days. It is just a choice.

I don't have my rubbers come off as a result of sealing. But I think it may also depend on the glue you use. But the sealants that a blade shop will use will likely be a fast drying water based sealant. And the rubbers stick to those as well as they stick to the wood without them. The water based sealants are only water soluble until they dry. Once they dry they act as a sealant against water damage. :)

Lastly..... as it's your first "proper" bat.... Definitely get the make up service - The shops always make it look nice than you'll ever achieve unless you have a chunk of bat assembling experience.

I definitely agree here. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
ON a separate note that will apply to equipment selection even for a super modern OFF wanna bee...

It is not classified data that I use the Nexy designed Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon for my main blade. I chose it, because it was the best balance of feel, spin, control and TROUBLE to opponent, I kept ball on the table longer and it troubled opponents moar... even if it isn't OFF or OFF+ missile launcher, Der_Echte has gunz of hiz own for that. (Hint, I only show the bicep gunz after a good FH, the REAL guns are my legs and hip)

Problem is Nexy does not make the KJH any more. KJH retired, opened up a club, and got it sponsored by Andro. So, when I run through my last blade (blades NEVER last me more than a year - I sweat too much) So... that put me on the lookout for a replacement.

Fortunately, Nexy kicked out the Arche, same construction as KJH, but ONE side has a slightly dark outer layer, core, mid layer and ONE outer layer the same. End result is a blade that feels right at home with very similar playing properties to the blade I love.

Last night, I glued some used rubbers on it and went to battle vs a 2000+ Cali player (think - on east coast he is 2100 easy)... fought, stayed in points, and won 2 matches vs him. When my back isn't injured (I got back and hip issues the last few months from reduced TT activity and reduced everything else) I can play competitive, but don't quite win vs him. Yesterday, won.

Why? Not the obvious answer. It was because I could keep it on the table, not piss away points, and change spin and placement controllably. Anyone with a live mike could tell I was frequently noting that the Karis M (think of the slower version of Karis, not as fast as Karis PLUS) was slower than the Karis + I use on the KJH... well, Karis M is a beast at handling topspin and returning just enough, but never overwhelming power. That is why players who buy it complain about it (like me !!)... but they NEVER complain about returning heavy incoming topspin shots and making their own spin and placing it to trouble opponent and not piss away point on random mystery misses.

So the lesson is, even though our primal urges are for max power and to select equipment geared that way, there is no replacement for control and controlling the point.

That is kinda like controlling the world wanting to be the powerful gangster, but control it through unimpressive non-violent kindness. Result is same - won points that contribute to a better performance, even if you do not directly feel powerful doing it.

I think that is a very under-utilized criteria for equipment selection.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
ON a separate note that will apply to equipment selection even for a super modern OFF wanna bee...

It is not classified data that I use the Nexy designed Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon for my main blade. I chose it, because it was the best balance of feel, spin, control and TROUBLE to opponent, I kept ball on the table longer and it troubled opponents moar... even if it isn't OFF or OFF+ missile launcher, Der_Echte has gunz of hiz own for that. (Hint, I only show the bicep gunz after a good FH, the REAL guns are my legs and hip)

Problem is Nexy does not make the KJH any more. KJH retired, opened up a club, and got it sponsored by Andro. So, when I run through my last blade (blades NEVER last me more than a year - I sweat too much) So... that put me on the lookout for a replacement.

Fortunately, Nexy kicked out the Arche, same construction as KJH, but ONE side has a slightly dark outer layer, core, mid layer and ONE outer layer the same. End result is a blade that feels right at home with very similar playing properties to the blade I love.

Last night, I glued some used rubbers on it and went to battle vs a 2000+ Cali player (think - on east coast he is 2100 easy)... fought, stayed in points, and won 2 matches vs him. When my back isn't injured (I got back and hip issues the last few months from reduced TT activity and reduced everything else) I can play competitive, but don't quite win vs him. Yesterday, won.

Why? Not the obvious answer. It was because I could keep it on the table, not piss away points, and change spin and placement controllably. Anyone with a live mike could tell I was frequently noting that the Karis M (think of the slower version of Karis, not as fast as Karis PLUS) was slower than the Karis + I use on the KJH... well, Karis M is a beast at handling topspin and returning just enough, but never overwhelming power. That is why players who buy it complain about it (like me !!)... but they NEVER complain about returning heavy incoming topspin shots and making their own spin and placing it to trouble opponent and not piss away point on random mystery misses.

So the lesson is, even though our primal urges are for max power and to select equipment geared that way, there is no replacement for control and controlling the point.

That is kinda like controlling the world wanting to be the powerful gangster, but control it through unimpressive non-violent kindness. Result is same - won points that contribute to a better performance, even if you do not directly feel powerful doing it.

I think that is a very under-utilized criteria for equipment selection.

The morning of this match, I decided after playing some pickup matches the night before to play with a Mazunov with Karis M both sides. My opponent talked about how solid my defense was. As you can see, the power never overwhelms and nothing is really fast, but the control is exquisite. You want the ball to come in with more topspin (not more speed or power or spin but more TOPSPIN) so that you can look like a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60SAKRHPTU

The power part of table tennis is real, but the consistency and control part is easy to underrate if you don't have the right experiences and perspectives.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
UpSideDownCarl said:
... The CEO is stockpiling Karis M because the goon squad has been sending drones and autopilots after his stash. Der showed the CEO how to use Pokemon Go online group feature to send the Goonies FALSE coordinates of rare or desired Pokemon waiting RIGHT at the foot of the trapdoor trigger point throw the artificial intelligence off the trail and get them to fall through the trap door on the Brooklyn Bridge. A tactic that a kid or Goonie could not resist.

I think the CEO is TRYING to stockpile the Karis M in BLACK MAX. For some reason, the internetz reports the weights vary and there is a true or false impression that it plays different. We seem to sell the black like 3x more often than the red, but ironically, I used RED on my Arche I described earlier.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
NextLevel said:
The morning of this match, I decided after playing some pickup matches the night before to play with a Mazunov with Karis M both sides. My opponent talked about how solid my defense was. As you can see, the power never overwhelms and nothing is really fast, but the control is exquisite. You want the ball to come in with more topspin (not more speed or power or spin but more TOPSPIN) so that you can look like a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60SAKRHPTU

The power part of table tennis is real, but the consistency and control part is easy to underrate if you don't have the right experiences and perspectives.

Haha, Heavy Spin's reaction after failing to counter your heavy opener - he hit out and long, was priceless. He jumped up and down, no small fete for any of us at that weight - but this cat can leap barriers at that weight... He jumped up and looked at rubber in disbelief... PRECIOUS. There was no way in his mind that there was that much spin on the new plastic ball to cause him to hit out like that... and Larry has been around the sport a LONG time, he doesn't make too many silly errors, always hits the ball how he wants to...

Damn, I wish Heavy Spin would post on TTD, he has like 10x the experience, insight, and humor that I will ever have.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Haha, Heavy Spin's reaction after failing to counter your heavy opener - he hit out and long, was priceless. He jumped up and down, no small fete for any of us at that weight - but this cat can leap barriers at that weight... He jumped up and looked at rubber in disbelief... PRECIOUS. There was no way in his mind that there was that much spin on the new plastic ball to cause him to hit out like that... and Larry has been around the sport a LONG time, he doesn't make too many silly errors, always hits the ball how he wants to...

Damn, I wish Heavy Spin would post on TTD, he has like 10x the experience, insight, and humor that I will ever have.

The thing is that Karis blocks almost like anti and you wonder how a rubber can spin when it blocks like that...