First Bat Advice please

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
You could go for the Euro route or the China route :)

I would recommend Stiga Alround Classic or Donic Applegreen Alplay and all those 5 ply allround blades

for rubbers I'd go with H3 Neo on the FH and Xiom Vega Intro for the BH or just both sides Xiom Vega Intro. Vega Intro is a mild and very easy to play beginner's tensor.

The H3 Neo seems to have lots of rating on :

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/dhs-neo-hurricane-3.html

What is everyone leses thoughts on this?

would this be too advanced for me?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
H3 Neo is probably the most played rubber on the planet. I think it's very easy to use and especially good for technique learning since the rubber does not a lot itself, it's not bouncy or something like that, you have to do proper strokes if you want the ball to land on the table. Tenergy and so on let's you do shitty strokes while stile making an okayish ball. that's not what you want when learning strokes.

source: me, having played many different rubbers and being a youth coach.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
H3 Neo is probably the most played rubber on the planet. I think it's very easy to use and especially good for technique learning since the rubber does not a lot itself, it's not bouncy or something like that, you have to do proper strokes if you want the ball to land on the table. Tenergy and so on let's you do shitty strokes while stile making an okayish ball. that's not what you want when learning strokes.

what Blade would you pair with this rubber?

Im trying to not get myself confused, so appreciate all the help and advice :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Gionis Carbon Allround

05 fh and 05 fx bh (if the money is not a problem).

My friend has it and it's a really nice setup - lots of control. Although tenergy's in general are fast.

That´s not a beginner setup especially not the composite blade!

May i ask how long you and you´re friend have been playing?

But i.e. Stiga Alround Classic + H3 Neo. The blade itself is slow (almost defensive) already and then the china H3 ... I don't know ... Stiga Alround Evolution would be better but I'm not sure how would it work with Chinese stuff.

I works like a dream...
[Emoji2]

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews

H3 is great for learning if you have a coach or you can somehow learn correct technique. But without good form, it might develop bad habits, such as too much upward brushing, or stiff arm, or letting the ball too low, or contacting the ball at it's back. I agree that Tenergy isn't good for development, but I think H3 should come at a later stage.

source: me, learnt to play with chinese rubbers and then corrected the aforementioned bad habits. Plus playing a lot with wannabe professional kids both at training and league matches.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Here’s my 10 pence worth (and I’m ready to be shouted down!)…

So I coach many people in the same position as you. Played a bit when younger, now play at work with crappy bats and want something better.

At this stage, you do not need to spend a lot of money on a custom made bat. You just need something better than crap you are playing with at the moment. Some like a Palio Expert or Palio Legend (which you can buy ready-made on Amazon), will be absolutely fine for playing in the work-place.

If you ever decide to take table tennis more seriously – join a club, get some coaching, develop a playing style – you will need to upgrade to something better. And you will probably change equipment several times until you find the combination which suits your game perfectly.

But if all you want to do is carry on playing at work, then you really do not need to spend lots of money on a custom made bat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
That´s not a beginner setup especially not the composite blade!
May i ask how long you and you´re friend have been playing?

Me ... 8-9 years now, like twice a week, but basically "playing" not really practicing, specially now ...
My friend, has been with us (our group meets twice a week) for about a year and I think he played recreationally before. But his skills set - I hope he wouldn't object : ) I would describe as the beginners ... although he progressed for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

H3n is great for learning. But there are also excellent reasons to start with euro/jap rubbers. Sure, modern euro/jap rubbers like tenergy can make it deceptively easy to give speed to the ball. But no rubber will spin the ball for you. That remains the hard, and most important part no matter what equipment you start on.

some advantages of starting with Euro/Jap rubbers (no need to go for tenergy right away; you can do like DerEchte suggests and look for a racket at a local club; or go with any of Vega Intro, Vega Euro, Karis M (and such))
- 1: feel. Softer sponges and topsheets on Euro/Jap rubbers make it much easier to feel the contact between the ball and the blade, which gives you extremely valuable feedback on the quality of your stroke.

- 2: consistency between bh/fh; most players won't do great with a rubber like H3 Neo on the backhand, and will prefer a euro/jap rubber on that wing. So you'd be looking at h3 Neo forehand, and euro/jap backhand. The OP mentions that their backhand is currently stronger than their forehand. One major advantage of going with 2 identical or very similar rubbers for Fh/BH when you start out is that it makes it easier to keep track of your progress on each side. The feel and properties being more similar, you can be confident that major differences in what you can do on each side is a function of technique and stroke, not of equipment. For the same reason, consistent rubber behavior on both sides makes it easier to develop a good understanding of the respective advantages and disadvantages of BH vs FH strokes.

There are also great reasons for going with something like h3 NEO ON forehand; but it's not an obvious matter either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
The thing I don't like about soft sponges for beginners is that it's easy to engage the sponge. It should be harder so that you feel the difference between the right contact and just hitting. at least take a medium sponge like vega intro, not a super soft one.

Reactions: OhWell and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
At this stage, you do not need to spend a lot of money on a custom made bat. You just need something better than crap you are playing with at the moment. Some like a Palio Expert or Palio Legend (which you can buy ready-made on Amazon), will be absolutely fine for playing in the work-place.

One issue is that you can get a better custom bat for less money than those: e.g. 2x dawei 2008 XP + Yinhe/Galaxy 896 for (US)$32 from Colestt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
The thing I don't like about soft sponges for beginners is that it's easy to engage the sponge. It should be harder so that you feel the difference between the right contact and just hitting. at least take a medium sponge like vega intro, not a super soft one.

Oh yeah, I'm 100% on board with that. None of the euro/jap rubbers you and I are suggesting have soft sponges for that very reason.

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Would you suggest EL-P as comparable to vega intro (don't know this one).

BTW yeah maybe 05 would be too far even on Gionis. Suga D I know composite - but it's allround felt really nice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
H3n is great for learning. But there are also excellent reasons to start with euro/jap rubbers. Sure, modern euro/jap rubbers like tenergy can make it deceptively easy to give speed to the ball. But no rubber will spin the ball for you. That remains the hard, and most important part no matter what equipment you start on.

some advantages of starting with Euro/Jap rubbers (no need to go for tenergy right away; you can do like DerEchte suggests and look for a racket at a local club; or go with any of Vega Intro, Vega Euro, Karis M (and such))
- 1: feel. Softer sponges and topsheets on Euro/Jap rubbers make it much easier to feel the contact between the ball and the blade, which gives you extremely valuable feedback on the quality of your stroke.

- 2: consistency between bh/fh; most players won't do great with a rubber like H3 Neo on the backhand, and will prefer a euro/jap rubber on that wing. So you'd be looking at h3 Neo forehand, and euro/jap backhand. The OP mentions that their backhand is currently stronger than their forehand. One major advantage of going with 2 identical or very similar rubbers for Fh/BH when you start out is that it makes it easier to keep track of your progress on each side. The feel and properties being more similar, you can be confident that major differences in what you can do on each side is a function of technique and stroke, not of equipment. For the same reason, consistent rubber behavior on both sides makes it easier to develop a good understanding of the respective advantages and disadvantages of BH vs FH strokes.

There are also great reasons for going with something like h3 NEO ON forehand; but it's not an obvious matter either way.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

I agree that perhaps having the same rubber on both sides sounds like a wise choice and will allow me to gauge how im improving. I liked the reviews on the H3N but if its not advisable on the BH then i can discount that.

I think deciding on a rubber appears to be a bigger decision than the blade at this point as everyone has their differing opinions.

Im listening intentivley to find an across the board general opinion to form my decision.

I cannot find the Vega intro on the TTDB but can see the PRO/Asia and euros rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
On the intro: http://www.tt-spin.de/xiom-vega-intro/

We will make tons of suggestions because that's what we do here. But keep in mind that so long as you stick to balanced, middle of the road rubbers you can't go terribly wrong..

The best way to cut all the pondering is DerEchte's suggestion to get something from a player at a local club. It will also be an opportunity to get to know local players, which is more important to your development than equipment.. ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
We will make tons of suggestions because that's what we do here. But keep in mind that so long as you stick to balanced, middle of the road rubbers you can't go terribly wrong..

The best way to cut all the pondering is DerEchte's suggestion to get something from a player at a local club. It will also be an opportunity to get to know local players, which is more important to your development than equipment.. ;)

YES! This exactly!!