First Bat Advice please

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
On the intro: http://www.tt-spin.de/xiom-vega-intro/

We will make tons of suggestions because that's what we do here. But keep in mind that so long as you stick to balanced, middle of the road rubbers you can't go terribly wrong..

The best way to cut all the pondering is DerEchte's suggestion to get something from a player at a local club. It will also be an opportunity to get to know local players, which is more important to your development than equipment.. ;)

YES! This exactly!!

True words of wisdom!

But what if you are one of those local club players being asked for an advice? Than you would go to the forums like this one ; )

I have a feeling Fabian might be right about Vega Intro, don't know them but I trust his judgement (coach) and he has a point with those not too soft sponges.

Bat - one of those allrounds already mentioned I'd say.

It's always nice to "buy" stuff for somebody else ; )
J.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Yes, but isn't the reason why we signup for tt forums is to agonize over tech detail to the 134th degree the level of detail of a gnat's ass?

Ha! Yes, it amazes me how much detail people go into about equipment. To be honest, most of it is over my head! For the original poster, all of this detailed analysis of different equipment will make such little difference to his game. ANYTHING will be better than the £5 bats he is currently playing with. Just get a half-decent pre-made bat from Amazon. And then use any money left over to get some proper coaching. That will be a better use of money than spending £100-£200 on a custom made bat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
The thing is... Premade bats are often glued in a way that you can not remove the rubber without destroying the blade. Something like a Stiga or Donic allround blade can be used forever basically. There are people in Germany with 2000 TTR rating (2400ish USATT) who play with those blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
The thing is... Premade bats are often glued in a way that you can not remove the rubber without destroying the blade. Something like a Stiga or Donic allround blade can be used forever basically. There are people in Germany with 2000 TTR rating (2400ish USATT) who play with those blades.

Until ITTF peddles a ball that only spins when hit with carbon fiber (and makes an "I only spin with carbon fiber" sound whenever hit with CF free objects), this! ^

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013

My point here, is that this player is only playing in the work-place and a self-confessed beginner. A pre-made bat will be more than fine for this purpose and a heck of a lot simpler for a beginner player to get his head around, compared to the thousands of different custom blade and rubber combinations. If the player decides to take table tennis more seriously and join a club, then he will need to think about getting a custom set-up which suits his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgpg
My point here, is that this player is only playing in the work-place. A pre-made bat will be more than fine for this purpose and a heck of a lot simpler for a beginner player to get their head around, compared to the thousands of different custom blade and rubber combinations. If the player decides to take table tennis more seriously and join a club, then he will need to think about getting a custom set-up which suits his game.

OK, here is a good premade bat:

http://tennisdiscount.eu/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=1067

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
My point here, is that this player is only playing in the work-place and a self-confessed beginner. A pre-made bat will be more than fine for this purpose and a heck of a lot simpler for a beginner player to get his head around, compared to the thousands of different custom blade and rubber combinations. If the player decides to take table tennis more seriously and join a club, then he will need to think about getting a custom set-up which suits his game.

On this, i have looked for my nearest Club and made enquries. Sadly they havent got back to me so i need to pick up the phone but im looking to join in the New year. I have always enjoyed TT but now im playing it more regular (daily at work) and really enjoying it, i feel this could become my new hobby as my soccer career has recently come to an end :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017

Guys ... I beg you : ) I understand the whole point TableTennisTom - it is true, but thegr812k cared much enough to pose a question on the forum, lets not give him this pre-made stuff - seems lazy from our side. The nicer racket he buys now the more chances he will be interested in the sport later ... and the sport is nice after all : )

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
On this, i have looked for my nearest Club and made enquries. Sadly they havent got back to me so i need to pick up the phone but im looking to join in the New year. I have always enjoyed TT but now im playing it more regular (daily at work) and really enjoying it, i feel this could become my new hobby as my soccer career has recently come to an end :)

It's always good to have a new sportsmate! Now ppl will argue for a while now, but don't care about it, everything is said, read the thread again and choose something what is described to be in the middle, so you can't go wrong.
(My recommendation is Stiga Allround Evolution with 2 Vega Intro ;) )

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
But i.e. Stiga Alround Classic + H3 Neo. The blade itself is slow (almost defensive) already and then the china H3 ... I don't know ... Stiga Alround Evolution would be better but I'm not sure how would it work with Chinese stuff.

Just for info for jawien: I played with an Allround Evolution with H3 on FH for years. It worked just fine. [emoji2]

Truthfully, whatever you have, you will get used to even if it is not what will be optimal for your development.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: OhWell
Guys ... I beg you : ) I understand the whole point TableTennisTom - it is true, but thegr812k cared much enough to pose a question on the forum, lets not give him this pre-made stuff - seems lazy from our side. The nicer racket he buys now the more chances he will be interested in the sport later ... and the sport is nice after all : )

That's just what what I wanted to say, thanks you did it :D

Reactions: jawien

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
There are a million choices that make it seem very complicated. But if you want you can break it down into simpler categories.

Fast bat vs slow bat - everyone who has posted agrees you should get a pretty slow bat. Any of the 20 or so mentioned already will be fine. It doesn't make much difference which one. If you buy a fast bat, rated OFF, or OFF+ you won't be able to keep the ball in the table, and you will compensate by developing horrible crsmped up strokes. That will prevent you from ever really learning to play, should you decide to later.

So buy a slow bat, any one.

Rubber is a little more complicated, but not much. No one has mentioned pips-out. If your goal is only ever to dominate at work, short pips with sponge might be the best path. But let's assume you are set on doubke-inverted, there are three choices, traditional, euro/jap, or chinese. Lots of people recommend traditional rubbers to everyone sriver and mark v. But those rubber suck. Don't buy them. They were good in the 1970s. A 1975 Mercedes was a great car, but if you went to buy acar today is that what you would pick?

Chinese rubbers like hurricanes and skyline, tinarc, and many more, are great rubbers. But they demand a lot from your technique. Most chinese olayers get some amount of coaching even if only in school. O if you don't plan to get some coaching I would skip all the chinese rubber.

That leaves spinny euro/jap rubbers. There are like 1,000,000. It doesn't matter too much which ones you pick. They have differences, the sponge and topsheet can be harder or softer, and the arrangement of the pips underneath changes how they play some. But for you starting out it doesn't matter. Any of them will pair well with your slow bat and be a fine place to start. If later you join a club then you try many people's setups and find one that feels good to you and works with your strokes and buy that. Vega series or Omega series, rasanter, rasant, bluefire, acuda, evolution, rakza, tenergy, fastarc, pick any of them.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Just for info for jawien: I played with an Allround Evolution with H3 on FH for years. It worked just fine. [emoji2]

Ok :) Then my full respect, with the allround piece hm wow. I was one of those "strange" knights looking for the China's National something Holy Grail ... eventually got tired : ) and this regular stuff they sell now is well ... I could never really find a way how to "efficiently" play with it.

Truthfully, whatever you have, you will get used to even if it is not what will be optimal for your development.

Well, very true. I have a privilege to get to know a little Leszek Kucharski (great Grubba adversary in Poland in the 80/90-ties). He usually laughs at me when I try to explain to him equipment nuances. His opinion always was, one should play with the paddle he is just comfortable with, the one that you like to play with - just this. I hope I quoting him correctly if he finds this out ; )

That's just what what I wanted to say, thanks you did it :D
Sure, anytime ; )

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It has been fun to read through this thread and see all the responses.

I think there have been a lot of good responses.

I get the perspective that a pre-assembled racket would be fine. It is true.

I do think an inexpensive racket like Yinhe Galaxy 986 Blade with rubbers like Dawei 2008XP or Inspirit or any number of other inexpensive Chinese rubbers might be better.

One step up from that, any of these blades should be fine:

1) Stiga Allround Evolution
2) Yasaka Sweden Extra
3) Butterfly Primorac Off-

Or any of the blades on any of the lists I made that were quoted earlier in the thread would be fine.

For rubbers, if you wanted a step up in quality from the Chinese products, (even though some of these may be more basic):

1) Butterfly Sriver, Sriver EL or FX
2) Yasaka Mark V
3) Butterfly Roundel

For a step up from those while still being okay for beginners:

1) Xiom Vega Europe or Pro (intro may be fine too. But I have not paid attention to it so I don’t really know).
2) Nexy Karis M
3) Tibhar Aurus Sound

Really there are blades and rubbers from any company that would fit the bill. And I am just restating some of the stuff that I was quoted as saying.

Have fun choosing. And whatever you choose, as you play you will improve. So have fun playing as well.

Any of the options presented could be made to work for you.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There is a lot in this post that is very good. And some stuff that is almost on target but not quite.

There are a million choices that make it seem very complicated. But if you want you can break it down into simpler categories.

This is a good statement and to break things down into simpler categories is a good idea.

Fast bat vs slow bat - everyone who has posted agrees you should get a pretty slow bat. Any of the 20 or so mentioned already will be fine. It doesn't make much difference which one. If you buy a fast bat, rated OFF, or OFF+ you won't be able to keep the ball in the table, and you will compensate by developing horrible crsmped up strokes. That will prevent you from ever really learning to play, should you decide to later.

So buy a slow bat, any one.

This is an okay way of saying things. But I feel it is not specific enough.

It is not just a slow blade that you want. You want a blade that is in the All+/Off- speed range, is ALL WOOD and 5 ply, that has decent flex, and gives you good feeling and good dwell time. A blade that helps you feel the contact of the ball, the quality of the contact, when you made good contact and when you made not so good contact. A slow blade with carbon will still mask some vibrations and make bad contact not feel like bad contact. That will cause a player to develop more slowly. Feeling when your contact is good and when your contact is not good, actually helps you improve how you contact the ball without you even realize it is happening.

So, not just a slow blade but: All+/Off-, All Wood, 5 ply, (not 7 because of less flex and less feel), decent flex, decent dwell time, and a blade that allows you to feel your ball contact easily. From the wood, this is what will help a player develop skills fastest.

Rubber is a little more complicated, but not much. No one has mentioned pips-out. If your goal is only ever to dominate at work, short pips with sponge might be the best path.

This could be true if the only goal was to beat his opponents without necessarily developing better technique. But adding pips out rubbers is usually better after someone has achieved a level where they can choose what style of play they want to pursue. Choosing pips out before he has decided how he really actually plays and before he has developed all the strokes to a decent level would force him into the style of play that is required by the pips rubbers.

But let's assume you are set on doubke-inverted, there are three choices, traditional, euro/jap, or chinese. Lots of people recommend traditional rubbers to everyone sriver and mark v. But those rubber suck. Don't buy them. They were good in the 1970s. A 1975 Mercedes was a great car, but if you went to buy acar today is that what you would pick?

Mark V is pretty decent. I can spin the heck out of the ball with Mark V. It actually works pretty well with the Poly balls too. And it has great control and makes handling incoming spin quite easy. So I would not agree with this. However, I would have to see a person play to decide what rubbers I would recommend to him. Some people who say they are beginners, I look at them play and tell them to go for tensors right off the bat. Others, I see them play and I feel, maybe tensors will never be something they are ready for. So, it really depends on what the person is doing with the racket and how they contact the ball as a beginner. For some, learning to spin with a rubber like Mark V is really better than jumping to a tensor. For someone who starts off with skill in brushing, then they could go right to tensors.

Chinese rubbers like hurricanes and skyline, tinarc, and many more, are great rubbers. But they demand a lot from your technique. Most chinese olayers get some amount of coaching even if only in school. O if you don't plan to get some coaching I would skip all the chinese rubber.

I agree with what you have said. But there is also another category of Chinese rubbers that are very inexpensive and very user friendly. Chinese rubbers that are trying to duplicate the qualities of the Euro rubbers, like 2008XP, Inspirit, Air Illumina, Gambler. And they are all pretty toned down compared to a lot of the top of the line tensor rubbers. So they would be excellent for learning with. Truthfully, Der_Ecthe's budget buster blade--Yinhe Galaxy 896 for $16.00 USD--and Air Illumina Delta--would be an amazing first setup and would cost about $48.00 so quite inexpensive.

That leaves spinny euro/jap rubbers. There are like 1,000,000. It doesn't matter too much which ones you pick. They have differences, the sponge and topsheet can be harder or softer, and the arrangement of the pips underneath changes how they play some. But for you starting out it doesn't matter. Any of them will pair well with your slow bat and be a fine place to start. If later you join a club then you try many people's setups and find one that feels good to you and works with your strokes and buy that. Vega series or Omega series, rasanter, rasant, bluefire, acuda, evolution, rakza, tenergy, fastarc, pick any of them.

Some of this is right on point. But some of this is not.

Rubbers like Ransant, Rasanter, Bluefuire, Evolution, Rakza, FastArc, Tenergy: On the plus side, they create massive amounts of spin; On the minus side, they are WAY TOO spin sensitive to be useful to someone learning how to play.

Older generation tensor rubbers like the Vega series, would be excellent. A rubber like Roundell which, for an advanced player is more than just very vanilla, but for a beginner it allows a lot of room for mistakes because of what good control it has. A new rubber that plays like older generation tensors like Nexy Karis M would also be in this category.

So the theory behind a lot of what you are saying is actually very good. But then there are a few gaps in what you are presenting.

Last edited: