Ma Long - Backhand Multi Ball

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I think we can all learn a lot here. This video deserves it's own thread. Video taken from the Chinese National Training at the Stiga Table Tennis training centre!

Check the video of Ma Long practicing his backhand topspin against backspin with Liu Guoliang's
multi ball! Liu demonstrates how the backhand should be played!

000cf1bdd2450b80797804.jpg

Photo by: Xinhua/Xu Yu

What do you think?

For more video's click here

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hehe Wang Hao fetching balls :)

Superb BH, I noticed he takes the ball a bit to his side instead of in front of him

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Most Chinese players are required to learn both shakehand and penhold to at least test out their abilities. This also allows the coaches to create practice partners to play similar to euro/asian opponents. WJJ playing similar to RSM etc. Liu also beat a high ranked woman player shakehand somewhere around his retirement. They gave him a handicap, but he was still able to play shakehand pretty well. When you understand the physics of the sport how you hold the paddle has little to do with the concepts they teach.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is funny, the backhands look pretty powerful, but Liu Guoliang looks annoyed with Ma Long at the end as though he was not listening to him. And Ma Long has the facial expression and body language of a boy being scolded. :) You have to love it. The best is not good enough. Hahahah.

This user has no status.
Liu Guoliang wants Ma Long's BH windup to go more to the side than downwards, so that Ma Long can have even greater power. I bet Zhang Jike and Wang Hao regularly hit a lot harder than Ma Long during practice. But seriously, that's already a crazy amount of power Ma Long has.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
It is funny, the backhands look pretty powerful, but Liu Guoliang looks annoyed with Ma Long at the end as though he was not listening to him. And Ma Long has the facial expression and body language of a boy being scolded. :) You have to love it. The best is not good enough. Hahahah.

Hahahaha I didn't notice that before, you are right Carl...kinda funny. I think Liu wanted more hip and shoulder rotation from Ma Long, and the boy just couldn't seem to get it. Nice one.

Yes Matt, Liu contributed so much. I think if master Liu calls you in for a multi ball, you know you made it...he's like a coaches coach.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So, no one has the right to say Ma Long has a weak bh.

At one point it was, now it is one of the best. He can trade backhands with anyone. In many of those matches against Zhang Jike he want backhand to backhand with Zhang Jike and won a very high percentage of those rallies.

The only person I saw him have trouble going backhand to backhand against was Seiya Kishikawa but, he is sooooooooooooo much better than Kishikawa that it made no difference.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl even a relatively fringe top hundred pro like Henzle has a fearsome BH. Many of the younger pros have great BHs. It is a matter of training evolution. Even some older players like Schlager Samsonov Kreanga Primorac Oh S U Karasekavic had excellent bh even by todays standards.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk