Who do you think will win the World Tour Grand Finals?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

• Kenta Matsudaira

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
I have never seen Fzd better, incredible level of play.

True story.
FZD was a step ahead of Dima (and of any other players in the torunament), almost in every rally.

I think that at the moment, FZD, is the highest expression of the table tennis.
If he keeps going like that, he will soon become the world n.1 (which I think he highly deserve it).

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Imagine Fzd in this form vs Ma Long in his best form....wow! Talk about TT fireworks!

True story.
FZD was a step ahead of Dima (and of any other players in the torunament), almost in every rally.

I think that at the moment, FZD, is the highest expression of the table tennis.
If he keeps going like that, he will soon become the world n.1 (which I think he highly deserve it).

Reactions: brodolio
This user has no status.
Imagine Fzd in this form vs Ma Long in his best form....wow! Talk about TT fireworks!
ehehe we would see extra-terrestrial rallies!

BTW, Dima seemed to be not in his best shape (since from the beginning of this tournament) but still he reached the final!
So I think that if Dima was in his best form, the final would have been way more enjoyable..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I almost agree :) I think Fzd expressed himself more in the final against Dima. Surely it also has to do with ML limiting and locking Fzd in the WC the best he could but I don't think ML was in his top top form. The best I've ever seen ML was probably in Rio against Mizutani. That was sick. WC had better drama for sure.

the World Championship final was pretty close to that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Seeing more of the game, I'm still amazed about how much DO is a BH-oriented player. He seems to get a way with a lot of it, but every now and then just having the FH flick or push just as an option surely would not hurt to have, would it?

I know what you mean, but my experience (and what I have heard talking to people who have worked with players like Aruna and Henzell) tells me it is not that simple. He does have the basic shots, but their quality for returning certain balls and their transition into his overall game is a gap that is hard to fill when you have spent forever playing a certain way with a lot of success. Remember, his game used to be premised on overpowering the opponent and that seemed to work against everyone except the opponents he had to beat. He doesn't have the *instincts* and footwork speed to support a forehand oriented power game at his level.

It's amazing that Dima is a good as he is with all the technical flaws in his game. The problem is that when you get to that level, you are almost stuck playing that way as almost everything in your game you want to introduce from scratch will be at a lower level and will take years (if ever) to catch up and see the light of day and be good enough to make your instincts let you play differently.

Remember that he used to be able to win the point with one backhand return against many opponents. That puts his game in perspective. And it is not like he is hanging around the CNT players everyday where you are putting in infinite hours trying to build your game to beat the guy next to you - he is still the Euro number 1 even on a bad day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
It's amazing that Dima is a good as he is with all the technical flaws in his game.

I agree with the bh oriented game and footwork not as good as Fan's, Ma's and few others ... but "technical flaws". The word sounds just ... not right : )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I agree with the bh oriented game and footwork not as good as Fan's, Ma's and few others ... but "technical flaws". The word sounds just ... not right : )

I am a Dima fan so I don't use the word lightly. And I am not referring to the strokes as much as limitations forced by the compensations, especially on the grip switches which are relatively extreme. IT's not easy to push with the backhand like Dima does and follow up with the forehand. And he switches grips to a degree between the strokes that makes it hard to play at a speed that supports it. Because the original focus was to hit the first shot with power and deal with the rest later. But now the first shot comes back and you are stuck holding the racket in a way that doesn't help, what do you do?

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I am a Dima fan so I don't use the word lightly. [...]

Sure, I understand. I guess we would have to go a little into the discussion on what is a flaw and what is a feature (like "it's not a bug, it's a feature") I mainly looked at the strokes and yes Dima's bh pushes from the fh side look unorthodox. Does the grip switch plays such a big role, I don't know. For me a flaw would be to develop certain aspect of the game in a way that it hinders your playing efficiency and limits your further development. Dima has every shot in the book for sure and the grip would be a part of a style - I'd rather put it this way. Limiting fast switching - maybe, but also it might explain why his bh is so powerful.

Reactions: NextLevel