difference between Carbon

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I agree, but I would argue that the main tone does tell you a lot, though the analysis at ttgearlab did help me see that it is limited.

Yeah!

E.g., here's. a major limit of TTGearlab's (current) analysis of vibration/feel. It analyses the frequency of vibration (higher/lower pitch) but not the amplitude/loudness (how much?), and not the decay/duration (for how long?). (See the last question and answer on this thread: https://ttgearlab.com/2017/02/06/performance-indices-the-way-to-evaluatie-blade-by-measurement/) Arguably, from a players' perspective the amplitude/loudness of the vibration and their decay/duration matters more to their preferences when it comes to feel: e.g. a blade that vibrates "too much" will likely have louder and/or longer vibration than the player's preferred blade; a blade that doesn't have "enough" will tend to have quieter and/or shorter vibration than the player's preferred blade.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah!

E.g., here's. a major limit of TTGearlab's (current) analysis of vibration/feel. It analyses the frequency of vibration (higher/lower pitch) but not the amplitude/loudness (how much?), and not the decay/duration (for how long?). (See the last question and answer on this thread: https://ttgearlab.com/2017/02/06/performance-indices-the-way-to-evaluatie-blade-by-measurement/) Arguably, from a players' perspective the amplitude/loudness of the vibration and their decay/duration matters more to their preferences when it comes to feel: e.g. a blade that vibrates "too much" will likely have louder and/or longer vibration than the player's preferred blade; a blade that doesn't have "enough" will tend to have quieter and/or shorter vibration than the player's preferred blade.

I don't know whether it is a major limit unless it influences something that is highly correlated with how TT players feel about their equipment and that this thing it is highly correlated it influences selection. What you are looking at may well be contained in other indices that ttgearlab provides. And even if Not, it may not be a big factor in how someone feels about a blade. When those two things are demonstrated to be false then your criticism will have more legs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I don't know whether it is a major limit unless it influences something that is highly correlated with how TT players feel about their equipment and that this thing it is highly correlated it influences selection. What you are looking at may well be contained in other indices that ttgearlab provides. And even if Not, it may not be a big factor in how someone feels about a blade. When those two things are demonstrated to be false then your criticism will have more legs.

Yeah I might be wrong saying it's major - not sure. But the author of TTgearlab agrees that amplitude and duration of vibrations is important for feel. From their reply to a question I posted about this (link in my previous post), the reason why they leave this info out is because of difficult technical problems in measuring those factors, not because it's unimportant info.

The most obvious example is the common perception of classic 5 ply, all wood blades as having more feel and vibration than Viscaria style ALC blades. TTGearlab's vibration measurements just don't address that issue: one thought would be that what's driving that perception has more to do with the intensity (amplitude) and duration of the vibration, which tend to be higher on classic 5 ply all wood blades than on classic Viscaria style ALC blades, than with the frequency... (Edit: I find that thought compelling, but I'm not in a position to adequately verify so I might be entirely wrong.)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah I might be wrong saying it's major - not sure. But the author of TTgearlab agrees that amplitude and duration of vibrations is important for feel. From their reply to a question I posted about this (link in my previous post), the reason why they leave this info out is because of difficult technical problems in measuring those factors, not because it's unimportant info.

The most obvious example is the common perception of classic 5 ply, all wood blades as having more feel and vibration than Viscaria style ALC blades. TTGearlab's vibration measurements just don't address that issue: because what's driving that (afaik correct) perception has more to do with the intensity (amplitude) and duration of the vibration, which tend to be higher on classic 5 ply all wood blades than on classic Viscaria style ALC blades, than with the frequency...
That's possible but I wouldn't be surprised if the Vp index or the Vp/Vi both satisfactorily addressed that as it simply is not true that 5 ply all wood blades absolutely have more feel and vibration than Viscaria style ALC blades. The Mazunov is a notoriously stiff 5 ply as an example even though it might not be far off from a Viscaria but it has less vibration than say an Innerforce ALCS.

In any case my engineering brain is no longer what it used to be so I will defer to your judgment. But my point is that it is easy to think that something is not captured without actually testing and then you figure out that what is explained by the extra information is far less than you think. Butterfly has a chart with only two numbers and is doing a pretty decent job. You mean that Ttgearlab is missing a lot of info with 4? I doubt it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Oh I'm with you! 4 indices is a ton. The issue, if there is one, is just about how helpful vibration frequency (Vp and Vl) is as guide for blade feel.

(I should clarify: I'm not sure about how important the issue I raised about the vibration measurements actually is. I just noticed a few weeks ago that the methodology post on ttgearlab was not precise about what Vp and Vl measure (the initial post talks about vibration "level", which isn't precise.) So I asked them about it, and ended up thinking about that issue a little.

AFAIK, frequency helps track how soft or hard different blades feel. My hunch is that the intensity/amplitude and duration of vibration also matter a ton to feel, but I haven't investigated nearly enough for this to be more than a hunch.)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
There are some more interesting articles available on the page with different blades measurements and comparison. Anyway if it was in fact possible to say, based on the indices (as the "TTGear Lab" author seem to suggest*) that i.e. if one likes "the feel" of a specific blade then one should also like this and this blade, than this would be a game changer - really! Finally there would be some objective indices one could refer to. Great work, and the author has an insider's knowledge of the game for sure.

The thing I would add is about the contact points, is that sometimes I also use my thumb to hold the paddle, were the head and handle joins. Maybe this data could contribute to?

* https://ttgearlab.com/2017/03/25/characteristics-of-four-known-inner-fiber-blades-comparison/
[Author: TTGear Lab]

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Differences between Timo Boll Spirit and ZJK ALC?

I have the impression that they treat the outer ply of the ZJK in some way that makes it feel harder and more shiney, even though it is the same kind of wood. Maybe it is UV light or something. Handles are quite different shape as already mentioned. Still, most people who like one could adapt to the other in not too long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hahaha. That was indeed a typo. W968. It is an awesome blade.

[Emoji106]

Good reaction.
I know nobody likes a wise guy, but I just found another one:

From my knowledge most "Tanks" aren´t very sceptical by nature, so I guess what you meant was
"SEPTIC TANK", right?
[Emoji6]

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Why would you recommend a player coming from an allround blade an Off+ W968 for hundreds of euros? :confused:

even if he was going for that kind of blade he could just get the fang bo carbon which is really similar, most w968 are fakes anyway.

you don't even know his level of playing and given the fact that he comes from an allround blade and does not seem to know too much about equipment i'd say that the w968 is not the right choice.

he should move up to a faster 5 ply, maybe off-, or off 7ply or maaaybe a not so fast inner carbon type blade like waldner senso carbon.

I got to agree on Fabian here, i play the Waldner Senso Carbon (an inner ply carbon), it really is a very good blade , OFF- with good feedback and feel, works very well with MX-P kind of rubbers for the plastic ball. And very affordable.

But still : u should try out a blade before u buy it if possible , there is no way around that, otherwise u will spend a lot of money buying all kinds of blades.

Hey why not try the Huieson Arylate Carbon (on Aliexpress for around 18$). A friend of mine in our club bought this one. Is a bit stiffer than my Waldner Senso Carbon but is really well made and to be honest, i think lots of Arylate Carbon blades sold by other brands are just made in Huiesons factory.
This blade is really well made and finish is surprisingly good !
arylate carbon huieson.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinykin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I saw some video about an old blade maker from China? The ones he made had holes in them, was on youtube?

hey guys! posting again after a week! I am in china right now and I have an update on my weird blade. when i said that there are holes in it, it looks EXACTLY the same as the blade in this picture:

https://goo.gl/images/kUP21J

so will u pros out there help me identify this? thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
hey guys! posting again after a week! I am in china right now and I have an update on my weird blade. when i said that there are holes in it, it looks EXACTLY the same as the blade in this picture:

I've got an old 7ply blade with a thick kiri core ply that's got exactly the same little holes.
But I'm not sure if it's a Kiri related thing, since it's the only kiri blade I own.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

Ah, wormses, wormses? My kiri-cored blades don't have it, and these images do show longer tracks on the blade surface as well. Wood being wood, all kinds of things can happen to it — while growing, while being harvested, while drying, while being crafted.

In my limited experiences in dealing with wood as raw material I've been offered selections of different qualities, wit the 'A' bunch with uniform nerve structure, straight, without cracks and free of knots; the 'B', 'C' (&c) selections usually were less smooth/uniform, somewhat cracked and knotted here and there. The more so for the lower quality grades. (Lower quality isn't necessarily worse; I preferred the lower quality selections for flooring, since the charm of such things can also lie in the liveliness of unpredicability, irregularity, imperfections. Not so for table tennis blades, I'd say, though.)

So this just might be a lower quality selection of wood, which would typically make it a substantially cheaper material. That would be one way to compromise, if the goal is to make the best of a limited budget.