Lighter alternatives to MX-P

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
You will find most modern rubbers to be on the heavy side.
You will also find above database lists the same rubber with 70,5 and 73 grams, which is not unusual. Or you´ll find the red version of a rubber to be 5 grams lighter than the black. Or you´ll find 1.9 weighs the same as 2.0.

All nice and yet not entirely helpful.

Even with the new technology of thinner topsheets and thicker sponges the weight doesn´t seem to be substantially smaller.

So my advice in this case is go softer, if that still suits your style and gives you the power you need. An FX-P on your Boll ALC is not the same weapon of mass destruction as an MX-P, but lighter it should be. Variants in between the hardness of FX-P and MX-P are Rasanter R42/V42 for example.

According to a reliable source the upcoming XIOM Omega 7 rubbers are substantially lighter than other rubbers with comparable performance (VII Pro cut to Primorac/BTY standard size 44 grams, this would give you 3 grams per side.

And always take it easy on the glue if you want to go lighter ;)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
EL-P is a bit lighter. Not a bad rubber. You would adjust to it fairly easily.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
You will find most modern rubbers to be on the heavy side.
You will also find above database lists the same rubber with 70,5 and 73 grams, which is not unusual. Or you´ll find the red version of a rubber to be 5 grams lighter than the black. Or you´ll find 1.9 weighs the same as 2.0.

All nice and yet not entirely helpful.

Even with the new technology of thinner topsheets and thicker sponges the weight doesn´t seem to be substantially smaller.

So my advice in this case is go softer, if that still suits your style and gives you the power you need. An FX-P on your Boll ALC is not the same weapon of mass destruction as an MX-P, but lighter it should be. Variants in between the hardness of FX-P and MX-P are Rasanter R42/V42 for example.

According to a reliable source the upcoming XIOM Omega 7 rubbers are substantially lighter than other rubbers with comparable performance (VII Pro cut to Primorac/BTY standard size 44 grams, this would give you 3 grams per side.

And always take it easy on the glue if you want to go lighter ;)

I was thinking the same about Omega 7. TT-spin, right? According to their more recent review the Omega 7 euro is even lighter, at 41g.

From what I understand, Omega 7 are using thinner ESN topsheet, much like Rasanter, Aurus Prime (etc.) but with a different purpose: standard sponge thickness + lighter overall rubber. From current offerings (Omega 7 aren't out yet, afaik), going with e.g. a 2.1mm sponge and the thin topsheet ESN might perhaps yield results that are closer to what the OP wants than a softer rubber: e.g. Aurus Prime in 2.1mm. Thoughts on this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Wow. It has enough pace for BH? Looping is great, blocking is great but even the max version is awful for aggressive driving. This is the only part where it's inferior to T05 IMO.
Ilia is a pretty strong man with a pretty strong backhand. I wouldn't mess with his backhand regardless. His loops are like other people's loop drives.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

I was thinking the same about Omega 7. TT-spin, right? According to their more recent review the Omega 7 euro is even lighter, at 41g.

Omega vii euro 43 grams cut and pro 45-46 grams cut to 150x157 blade

Thank you guys for the heads up.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Do you guys have a rough idea of what the following rubbers weigh (even if it's a range):

MX-P 2.0
EL-P Max
Aurus Prime Max
Aurus Prime 2.1
R47 Max
R47 2.1
R42 Max

Between EL-P Max and MX-P 2.0, which will give me more spin and speed?

EL-P has a pretty stiff topsheet (it even may feel harder overall than MX-P, which has the harder sponge), you will find MX-P to be the more spin-oriented between the two. EL-P is also more direct, which may seem faster on direct strokes. For topspins, go for spin over speed and choose MX-P.

As for rubber weights, all this new stuff with 47.5 degree sponge you listed weighs around 60 grams uncut in 2.0/2.1/max, give or take 2 or 3 grams. Cut to racket size it really doesn´t matter much - 47 or 46 grams cut makes 2 grams on the complete racket, it shouldn´t be a problem.

EL-P won´t be much lighter.

42 degree sponge rubbers might give you 5 grams advantage uncut.

But you´d really better take a look at characteristics before doing your head in over the weight.

For example R47 is a newest generation rubber, available with a 47,5 degree Ultramax sponge.
So is Aurus Prime.

But the differences between them are greater than their sponge colours. R47 plays relatively soft, nicer and easier than MX-P.
Aurus Prime has such a stiff topsheet that it plays a lot more compact and hard.

My "advice": Get yourself one sheet of R47 2.1 for Christmas and try it on both sides. Check the weight, see if you like it, then make the next decision (stick with MX-P but thinner, go for softer rubbers, etc.)

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
EL-P has a pretty stiff topsheet (it even may feel harder overall than MX-P, which has the harder sponge), you will find MX-P to be the more spin-oriented between the two. EL-P is also more direct, which may seem faster on direct strokes. For topspins, go for spin over speed and choose MX-P.

As for rubber weights, all this new stuff with 47.5 degree sponge you listed weighs around 60 grams uncut in 2.0/2.1/max, give or take 2 or 3 grams. Cut to racket size it really doesn´t matter much - 47 or 46 grams cut makes 2 grams on the complete racket, it shouldn´t be a problem.

EL-P won´t be much lighter.

42 degree sponge rubbers might give you 5 grams advantage uncut.

But you´d really better take a look at characteristics before doing your head in over the weight.

For example R47 is a newest generation rubber, available with a 47,5 degree Ultramax sponge.
So is Aurus Prime.

But the differences between them are greater than their sponge colours. R47 plays relatively soft, nicer and easier than MX-P.
Aurus Prime has such a stiff topsheet that it plays a lot more compact and hard.

My "advice": Get yourself one sheet of R47 2.1 for Christmas and try it on both sides. Check the weight, see if you like it, then make the next decision (stick with MX-P but thinner, go for softer rubbers, etc.)

Thank you Airoc.

I was actually just looking over TT-Spin's posts on the rubbers I was inquiring about as well as the various weights he's recorded. Doesn't look like EL-S is any or much lighter than MX-P indeed, although I will likely give it and/or the R47 a try at some point to compare the feel for myself. Do you know if there's much weight difference between the R47 Max and Ultramax?

His posts regarding the Omega VII Pro and Euro make them sound very promising, but I guess they won't be out in Europe until March or April 2018...

Reactions: OhWell
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Perhaps Tenergy 05? I think getting the Mx-P in 2.0mm is also a good idea .

Tenergy 05 is rumored to be a viable alternative to MX-P indeed, and at 2.1mm it has a slightly lower weight/surface ratio than MX-P at 2.2mm (±0.23g/cm[SUP][SUB]2[/SUB][/SUP] versus ±0.24g/cm[SUP][SUB]2[/SUB][/SUP]), which amounts to about 2-3g difference per cut sheet.

Last edited: