How to choose an individual blade?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Luck.

Feel in your hand if there are several you can choose from.

It's a great blade. Even the bad ones are really good so don't worry too much especially at 90 g which is perfect.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The new hologram ones are pretty good and black tag ones are now insanely overpriced. I am lucky I bought my black tags several years ago. I wouldn't do it now. By the way, I have sold a couple of black tag ones that weren't that great. That tag is not a guarantee. . Weight matters a lot. Hold out for the 90 gram one.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
What other noticeable inconsistencies besides handle and weight are there between blades of the same model?

Weight balance. And then some intangible stuff you can only tell in advance by playing. Same is true for stringed instruments. Some are just special.

Reactions: OhWell
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Weight balance. And then some intangible stuff you can only tell in advance by playing. Same is true for stringed instruments. Some are just special.

The way of wood!

The traditional remedy is extreme care in selecting materials for every single piece, but that is rarely realistic with large scale mass production (and still creates variation, just, hopefully, good variants.)

The other remedy is of course going all composites. It works exceptionally well for musical instruments and for most sports. (For music, afaik, the biggest downside is too much consistency across items. Right, for us that would be a blessing.) Not sure why TT is so committed to wood..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think what the Pros who can usually do is get 20-50 blades and try until they find 3-4 they like and keep one as main blade and the others as backup blades. [emoji2]

Without that, you do sort of just have to hope.

But, as Baal said, if you get a Viscaria and it weighs 90 grams, even the worst ones are pretty darn good.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: OhWell