Do you need ‘perfect’ technique to be good at table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
So we can forget the term "perfect" and instead use the term "correct" with an adverb "relatively".

I remember I used to play this handicap guy who used to beat many solid 2000-2100 players in major tournaments like National, US Open. His blocking game was so good that anyone spinned and power looped him got blocked down in such a way that they could not make the next shot. So, how could I manage to beat him 80% of the time while I lost to these guys 80% of the time?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It is obvious to any reader that everything I wrote was to the point of the topic, thus not trolling, and also it was YOU who was first to disparage me with your childish and obviously rude (in words and in intent) "comprehension skills" barb. Grow up or ban yourself. Or erase your own post? Or.. what? If you can't tolerate being called "captain obvious" or something so mild without threatening bans after having yourself been rude first.

I don't have videos of myself playing.

And of course, since you asked, there's never a bad plug haha
Oh, and you can hear me play on my youtube, though I rarely upload stuff there anymore. Thanks for showing interest :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOtuZmj9zLU&index=17&list=PLEVaI0YNQmoWoz9KsaGMfbirH1Ojqkqs7 for example

Or if you like better sounding recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCXz3_pr0Dc&list=PLEVaI0YNQmoWoz9KsaGMfbirH1Ojqkqs7&index=18

Or if you like actual CD level recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2X_VOl6oTQ&list=PLEVaI0YNQmoWoz9KsaGMfbirH1Ojqkqs7&index=12

I love the way you play (!!!!!) and I think we listen to a lot of the same artists. I suspect the teacher Carl was talking about would not have liked Bill Evans' body position either. Not to mention Keith Jarrett (a really extreme example).

I think there are TT players like Monk. Ugly mechanics but genius behind it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
Perfect technique, correct technique, efficient technique, unorthodox but effective technique aside, it is and has been my wish since I began posting to table tennis forums nineteen years ago that table tennis players at all levels from novice to world class could play this sport incorporating both offensive and defensive techniques--in other words, play an all-round game.

Unfortunately, nineteen years ago and even more so today, one's choice of rubber(s) compels a choice between an attacking game based on the loop drive and if you can do it the chiquita flip assisted by a questionable serve and a boosting oil (formerly a hidden serve and speed glue) of your choice, backhand chop defense combined with occasional forehand chopping and a forehand loop nearly equal to that of your attacking opponent, or at lower levels a backhand oriented game based on the block, pushblock and forehand smash should you be blessed with an Easter bunny, that is, a total sitter from your opponent compelled by your knuckleball long pips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
So we can forget the term "perfect" and instead use the term "correct" with an adverb "relatively".

I remember I used to play this handicap guy who used to beat many solid 2000-2100 players in major tournaments like National, US Open. His blocking game was so good that anyone spinned and power looped him got blocked down in such a way that they could not make the next shot. So, how could I manage to beat him 80% of the time while I lost to these guys 80% of the time?

This is maybe an example of a similarly weird style. As I first saw it, I totally underestimated him (think he is German Champion with handicap or so). But look at some of his beautiful blocks.

"Correct" and "beautiful" are always normative, or better usually coincide with how the majority of a social group thinks things ought to be. While I strive for a clean and nice technique in the lower leagues I play I sometimes have to surrender against "ugly" and weird styles, often with pips out or 20 years old rubbers. I struggle to accept it, but the only thing to do is to improve my own game and don't get beaten next time.

(Screw it, can not post the link yet.)

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And of course, since you asked, there's never a bad plug haha
Oh, and you can hear me play on my youtube, though I rarely upload stuff there anymore. Thanks for showing interest :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOtuZmj9zLU&index=17&list=PLEVaI0YNQmoWoz9KsaGMfbirH1Ojqkqs7 for example

Or if you like better sounding recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCXz3_pr0Dc&list=PLEVaI0YNQmoWoz9KsaGMfbirH1Ojqkqs7&index=18

Or if you like actual CD level recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2X_VOl6oTQ&list=PLEVaI0YNQmoWoz9KsaGMfbirH1Ojqkqs7&index=12

To preserve the links to the playing.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Far more important than having perfect technique is to have consistent technique. As long as a player can execute the shot in the same manner each time and put the ball on the table, that player will be far more successful than someone with perfect technique and still misses all the time. There are many players in the top 100 whose technique is suspect but they simply rarely miss. Many coaches hate the way Zhang Jike hits his forehand. Even though in their opinion his technique is far from perfect, he has been quite successful at playing table tennis.

Reactions: Suga D