Opinions on my game [video]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Hey!

Well done. Congrats on the win. It was a tough match, but you got there.

So I see plenty of good things about your game. You have some strong serves, good ball placement and some nice whip on your forehand.

Actually you have some really nice shots - backhand and forehand - but you don't always use them. It's like you have two playing styles. Sometimes you really try to spin the ball (BH and FH) and play positive attacking table tennis and you look great. This is your 'A' game. Other times you get a bit passive and static and kind of prod at the ball. This is your 'B' game. I think if you use your 'A' game more than often than your 'B' game, you're going to do really well and improve quickly.

You probably over-used your FH block, when the other player was attacking. I don't think he was attacking that fast, so you would have been able to counter-topspinned these. So this is a shot worth developing. You can topspin the ball fine already, so it shouldn't be too difficult to develop a strong counter-topspin.

But honestly, I think you're doing great, especially as this is only your 3rd season.

Reactions: Sali and Musaab
This user has no status.
Thanks for the feedback, I have had people telling me that I often just stops playing. It is nice to see that written so that I'm fully aware of it, and I guess the forehand blocking thing is just part of it. To be honest , it is a general problem that I have I get tired very easily. I'm gonna try to find a solution to this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Thanks for the feedback, I have had people telling me that I often just stops playing. It is nice to see that written so that I'm fully aware of it, and I guess the forehand blocking thing is just part of it. To be honest , it is a general problem that I have I get tired very easily. I'm gonna try to find a solution to this.

It's a nice problem to have. You have good shots, good ball placement, good serves, good reading of spin. Improving your fitness and committing to playing your 'A' game more often should be straight forward to achieve. And if you play your 'A' game more often, you'll probably find that you'll win points quicker and matches that would go to 5 games, you win in 3 games. So maybe improving your fitness won't be such a big issue after all.

Reactions: Musaab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks for sharing your Video ... you should post it in the Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat thread ... @NextLevel is having a Holiday Giveway event going on , it has some rules on when you played the match , if you qualify for that , you could win some cool prizes !!
I welcome any comment on my game and should I be working on. This my 3d season and I'm totally hooked to this sport. I'm the one in red

This user has no status.
It's a nice problem to have. You have good shots, good ball placement, good serves, good reading of spin. Improving your fitness and committing to playing your 'A' game more often should be straight forward to achieve. And if you play your 'A' game more often, you'll probably find that you'll win points quicker and matches that would go to 5 games, you win in 3 games. So maybe improving your fitness won't be such a big issue after all.

Again right on the spot , that day I won 5 games out of 6 , 4 of them in 5 sets !!

This user has no status.
Just un update on my game. By that I would like to know if there is standard progress steps that anyone should pass by. and If so, I would then get an idea on my position on the progress scale. I still do my powerful standard forehand and my backhand is really better than before and sometimes really impressive. However now, and im not sure if it is related to my forehand having 05 on it, I tend to play counter topspins , I just love it that my opponent take the initiative on an underspin ball for me to counter that , most of the time a killer shot. Just to add some visual content here is my backhand when a bit consistent, I don't have a video yet for my counter topspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
100% true. I would just add that work a little on your serves length, if they are too long your opponent attack them and win the point directly, why:
1. Because they are too long to be short and too short to be long. Other words if you intend to serve long, the bounce should be at the end of your opponent's side.
2. You do not take start position right after the serve
Other thing is that you stand a little bit off the table, it is good for counter topspin how you like, but when your opponent plays short or corners you have a problem to come back. So either you work on fitness or stand little bit closer to the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@Musaab you are definitely improving, keep on working ! i think you are playing in a good club with better players so you can improve. However I feel you if you want to seriously improve you should be more rational and work on fundamentals. its nice to practice BH 2m from behind the table, but you will not win matches this way.

I've been playing TT for more than 25 years, and my best ranking when i was young was 13 (50 old ranking system). I now live in Japan so no more French ranking but i believe i play my best ever, even i'm older. The reason is i train a lot, and have regular sessions with professional coaches. And with those coaches, I don't do anything fancy. 90% of the session is very basic and boring stuff. like 1 FH, 1BH, then 1FH , 1 BH .... etc...
I had to forget my bad habits and learn to play and move correctly.

You are still rather new to the sport and you should take the chance to perfect your basic technique early. which means you spend your training time wisely to achieve this goal !!!

good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
My two cents .. practice what you are going to use in a game ... while it is a lot of fun to do countertopspins on forehand or backhand loops from mid-distance ... you need to ask yourself how many of those you are going to use in game play ...

so while these things help you to understand the game better and increase your ball feeling and confidence to take those "one off" shots you find yourself taking in a game .. it does not help with actual match play ... so if I were you ... I would do specific exercise which combine shots that you need to use in match and video them ... those are truer indicators of your level ...

practicing opening and second ball combined with two forehand two backhands is a prime example ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Congratulations! Well deserved! Oh I wish I had a training room like that. Green with envy... :) I've heard similar stories so many times and faced the problem myself. It can be really frustrating to see players and think that you should be beating them. Part of the key is to realise that these players have developed their skills over a long period of time and are very good at what they do. You also need to realise that without the "correct" technique their game is limited. If you can develop your strokes to a certain level, you'll start to overpower this type of player.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Very good play but you are sort of abusing a beginner there. Would be more instructive to see how you play against someone who holds the bat without the middle finger in the middle of the backhand side and occasionally topspins.

There were too many unforced errors for a match against someone who you can defeat simply by putting one ball on the forehand and the second ball on the backhand, without power or anything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Just un update on my game. By that I would like to know if there is standard progress steps that anyone should pass by. and If so, I would then get an idea on my position on the progress scale. I still do my powerful standard forehand and my backhand is really better than before and sometimes really impressive. However now, and im not sure if it is related to my forehand having 05 on it, I tend to play counter topspins , I just love it that my opponent take the initiative on an underspin ball for me to counter that , most of the time a killer shot. Just to add some visual content here is my backhand when a bit consistent, I don't have a video yet for my counter topspin

N

Nice video. Your BH has power, but it seems you should try to add a little bit more spin. It looks as if you are more punching through the ball, so maybe a little bit more wrist to spin it... :)

This user has no status.
Very good play but you are sort of abusing a beginner there. Would be more instructive to see how you play against someone who holds the bat without the middle finger in the middle of the backhand side and occasionally topspins.

There were too many unforced errors for a match against someone who you can defeat simply by putting one ball on the forehand and the second ball on the backhand, without power or anything.

I'm a beginner myself though, if you read earlier my first topspin ever was 3 years ago. But if a video against better players should incite some comments on my game I will upload one soon

This user has no status.
N

Nice video. Your BH has power, but it seems you should try to add a little bit more spin. It looks as if you are more punching through the ball, so maybe a little bit more wrist to spin it... :)

Agree !! On some other footage (that I'm not sure I'm allowed to share) it seems I apply more spin to it. It is just not consistent at all, sometimes I just pivot and I use it to push only and some times I win tight matches with it like this match point below, for now I'm just counting on time to get it more consistent

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Agree !! On some other footage (that I'm not sure I'm allowed to share) it seems I apply more spin to it. It is just not consistent at all, sometimes I just pivot and I use it to push only and some times I win tight matches with it like this match point below, for now I'm just counting on time to get it more consistent

very nice BH and way to conclude one match ! well played.

Now we cannot judge your BH on just one point, especially when the shot is not coming back (are you ready for the next shot ?)

There are many types of BH, drive, loop, smash, quick after the bounce, in descending phase, against topspin, against backspin etc...
then what do you do with the ball: more or less (side and/or top) spin, play it long or short straight, middle or cross etc

as you say, you have to be consistent, and the only way to get there is drill, drill, drill...

Last edited: