Multi ball with Celluloid balls bad idea?

This user has no status.
wow thanks for all the replies. Honestly these new plastic balls are a headache. They sell the Tibhar 40+ ones at my club so I use those, but then if I play with someone else and use their ball it plays quite different sometimes. Someone had the Nittaku one which was WAAAY different. There was 1 ball (not sure the brand but it was a practice ball) which was just downright unplayable.

I'm definitely not a low level player and when I did multiball with my celluloid when first coming back to TT again and I could feel my consistency much better than when I started playing with the plastic. It's just the cost issues and worrying that the ball would be worth it in the end. Or I may just not bother doing multiball until they get more consistent with the balls.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My guess is, that after 3.5+ years of the Poly ball being the official ball, they may not get much better, and they may not get any more like each other. It is kind of pathetic. Part of it is that they can use different materials.

I adjust fairly easily from one ball to the next. I personally like the Nittaku Premium balls the best. But I can adjust regardless of which ball. However, I will say some of the Poly balls are really bad.

I think the DHS D40+ balls, the 3 star, may be inexpensive enough to use for multiball. And they are very durable.

Reactions: Tinykin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
A thousand curses on the ITTF for making this a issue.
Even the XuShoaFa balls cost about 3-4 time the Gambler plastic balls. That makes a basket of balls expensive. When training there tend to be balls all over the floor and too many balls commit suicide by rolling under my feet.

This user has no status.
My guess is, that after 3.5+ years of the Poly ball being the official ball, they may not get much better, and they may not get any more like each other. It is kind of pathetic. Part of it is that they can use different materials.

I adjust fairly easily from one ball to the next. I personally like the Nittaku Premium balls the best. But I can adjust regardless of which ball. However, I will say some of the Poly balls are really bad.

I think the DHS D40+ balls, the 3 star, may be inexpensive enough to use for multiball. And they are very durable.

Good shout on those DHS balls. Seen them on TT11 now. Might be worth doing that. Will look more into it and see if a friend would want to share