Ma long forehand technique in slow motion

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
You can see very clearly how he uses his legs, the rotation of his hips and the weight transfer very clearly here.

Very true there Carl.

Im surprised how open his bat angle is to... and also its nice footage of seeing his wrist go into the backhand shot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Did anyone notice the point of contact of the ball and the bat ? Its almost the lower edge of the bat everytime. I've notice that the ball goes flat with heavy spin. Can someone compare his forehand with that of Zhang jike or Timo Boll ?? Timo always has this sharp loop. The most amazing thing about Ma Long is that his flat shots over the net has such dangerous spin that it simply goes up in the sky when the opponent tries to return it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Many coaches say "don't drop the bat before playing the stroke". Ma Long drops his bat, so does he have poor technique or are the coaches wrong? I think the answer is plain to see.

Do you mean his bat position is start a low position, like below the waist? If so I'm not sure about that, because since the first few training session of mine, we have been learned to start and some what low position when performing a loop drive. However, if we just doing some regular FH hitting, then the bat position will not start from there. Perhaps your coach were talking about just the regular hitting instead of doing a looping?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Did anyone notice the point of contact of the ball and the bat ? Its almost the lower edge of the bat everytime. I've notice that the ball goes flat with heavy spin. Can someone compare his forehand with that of Zhang jike or Timo Boll ?? Timo always has this sharp loop. The most amazing thing about Ma Long is that his flat shots over the net has such dangerous spin that it simply goes up in the sky when the opponent tries to return it.

During Zhang Jike's backswing he does not extend his arm as much as Ma Long. His backswing is not as big. During his swing ZJK takes the ball close to his body. Ma Long takes the ball farther away, with the bigger backswing he has a bigger follow through and therefore a bigger stroke. Ma Long also swings from the shoulder and the elbow joint starts flexing during contact accelerating his stroke. ZJk uses more elbow less shoulder than Ma Long although he uses both. Timo Boll's arm usually stays bent at the elbow joint to almost 90-degrees which means he uses very little of the movement of the forearm from the elbow joint. I think this is a good part of the reason why Timo Bolls loops, while spinny, are so much slower than Ma Long's or Zhang Jike's. Timo Boll uses his body and his legs really well in his stroke and gets a lot of his power from there but he is missing that extra pop he would get from the arm starting almost straight and then the elbow bending during the swing. That is at least how I see it.