Grip tape position to preserve ball feel?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
What’s the best grip tape position on a flare handle to preserve ball feel?

I hold my blade high up the handle, mostly with the thumb and index. I’m mostly looking to increase the circumference in the area my ring and pinky fingers touch the handle for better stability and leverage on some shots. I’m thinking that I might be able to leave a bit of bare wood below the bevel? Not sure how much though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I really like taping handles.

It's best to start at the bottom and tape upwards for more grip. If you want even more grip you can use less tape bij just covering the edge of every previous piece of wrapping. By doing this you get thicker and thinner parts.

Near the top you could stop at the backhand side. This means that your thumb is on the wood but your index finger rests on the tape.

I use a little drop of instant glue to stick the end upon the grip tape. Most of the times the adhesive tape is really slippery and it can come loose too if you sweat.

When you sweat it is also handy to take the tape off or replace it once in a while, because the wood in the handle sucks up the sweat and it doesn't evaporate quickly enough because it's under the tape.

This is the way I like it but it's personal preference

(Sorry, couldn't control myself) :p

Reactions: OhWell
says Aging is a killer
Experiment

What’s the best grip tape position on a flare handle to preserve ball feel?

I hold my blade high up the handle, mostly with the thumb and index. I’m mostly looking to increase the circumference in the area my ring and pinky fingers touch the handle for better stability and leverage on some shots. I’m thinking that I might be able to leave a bit of bare wood below the bevel? Not sure how much though.

I'm not too certain what you mean by "below the bevel". However, your solution is to experiment. I found that the kinesiology tape is nice, light and cheap. Use it and come back and tell us what were your results.

mueller_kinesio_tape_2_original.jpg

Reactions: OhWell and Herbert
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I'm not too certain what you mean by "below the bevel".

Just to clarify - sorry for the imprecision. By "bevel" I mean the part the green arrow points at (not sure what the correct term is). What I mean by leaving bare wood under the bevel is ending the tape e.g. around the red line. (The picture is from the Bty website.)

grip tape.jpg

Reactions: Tinykin