Ma Lin vs Quentin Robinot (VIDEO)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Okay, the famous match that took place in the Sweden Open 2011 is now here on Video!

Ma Lin vs Quentin Robinot!

QRobinot08.JPG

Photo by: Roscher

Part 1

Part 2

What an incredible match and performance from the young 18 year old from France! Quentin Robinot defeated the regining Olympic Champion Ma lin by 4 games to 1! 11-8, 11-7, 4-11, 11-9, 11-8

What are your thoughts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Quentin Robinot is a rising star. He is quite popular and is considered the future Timo Boll. Heard this in an interview if I am not mistaken.
Look at his graph below (from ittfranking)
pl112436.png

Ma is getting old and his style requires lots of speed and power, which is diminishing in his body.
Maybe Ma is descending in his career. Maybe..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I don't know about being the next Timo Boll as he's a righty, but it seems that this situation was very similar to the Liventsov game. I'm thinking that Ma is no longer able to counter the stronger BH players anymore. With them attacking his services all the time he's just not able to get to his wide forehand the same as he used to. Hopefully he'll be able to fix it, but it's not looking too good for him as this is the second time he's not put forth his full effort nor his best game. I wonder if his ZJK match up was making him nervous as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
I don't know about being the next Timo Boll as he's a righty, but it seems that this situation was very similar to the Liventsov game. I'm thinking that Ma is no longer able to counter the stronger BH players anymore. With them attacking his services all the time he's just not able to get to his wide forehand the same as he used to. Hopefully he'll be able to fix it, but it's not looking too good for him as this is the second time he's not put forth his full effort nor his best game. I wonder if his ZJK match up was making him nervous as well.

When Timo is referred, it is his achievements.
You don't refer an athlete to another mostly to his/her handedness.

This user has no status.
Quentin Robinot has a long way to go. Really nasty serves he has...look at part 1 1:56....Aside from Wang Hao's serve in the Olympics, I've never seen Ma Lin misread serves which have them fly 1m out of the table! He got so many points directly off his serve that it's amazing! Also he moves really fast and has really short recovery times. Reminds me a lot of Gatien's style, who plays really low balls and is very speedy on his feet. The only thing he lacks is the power and spin right now. He doesn't really have the finishing power in both his FH and BH. Otherwise his amazing serves would be even more dangerous.

But I bet you that this style doesn't work on the top men players like Wang Hao, Ma Long, ZJK, Timo Boll or WLQ who have very solid rallying skills. They would just destroy him in the rallies due to his lack of power. But rarely we have players with such solid basics and good skills with the 1st 3 balls. Someone to watch out for.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I just don't think Ma Lin has the drive to really bother training anymore. He has very little chance of participating in the olympics, and then the world championships are another 2 years away, by which time, his game will have suffered alot because it requires the reactions and speed of a very young player. So for Ma Lin, I feel like he is transitioning away from placing TT as the center of his life.

On a side note, has anyone seen any videos between Zhang Jike and Wang Liqin in the swedish open? I have yet to find one.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I agree with Scylla in part. I mean that's the second pro tour event in a couple of months in which Ma Lin has been defeated in the first round. He's definitely losing out where he wouldn't have before and with all the stronger Chinese players rising through the ranks I can't see there being a place for Lin in future major events, I'd be interested to know what he's thinking to be honest! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
I agree with Scylla in part. I mean that's the second pro tour event in a couple of months in which Ma Lin has been defeated in the first round. He's definitely losing out where he wouldn't have before and with all the stronger Chinese players rising through the ranks I can't see there being a place for Lin in future major events, I'd be interested to know what he's thinking to be honest! :)

As long as you never give up, you will always have a chance." -Ma Lin

Oops did I post it in the wrong thread ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It does look like Ma Lin is off to me though. He is putting his own serve into the net. That is not something he often does. And he is missing a lot of balls, ones that he would normally get. It looks like there are brief periods in the match where he plays well but then there are a lot of balls he gets his racket on and does not get back. His shots also look like they lack the pace they normally have. I think his head might be elsewhere.