What style of player or rating group below your level give you the most trouble?

This user has no status.
Ok. I've been practicing against long pips lately because they have been killing me for so long. So I just made it a point to really take these ungodly rubbers seriously. Once I began to understand and play fairly well against pips. My training partner opens up a new technique that completely showed me why he's a couple hundred points above me.

He started attacking my underspin serves with the long pips. PURE EVIL!!!!!! The pips backhand side of the blade would make this horrible knock sound. And the ball would come back to me so fast with either no-spin or light top-spin.

HELP!!!!! And please don't hit me with the "stop serving underspin"... lol he'll attack any push just the same

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You know everything you need to know. It's what my opponents did to me back when I played LPs and I'd bump attack underspin serves. It's light topspin.

That should be one of the easier balls for you to attack first on. If someone gives you relatively slow (because most LP users are either OX or 1.0 sponge so it's hard to hit it super fast), and just light topspin, that's basically a meatball for you. If it's over the table, BH flip that thing.

Oh yeah. Forgot to answer the OP's question

What style below me (that's hard to gauge by saying below me because keeping the ball on the table is a legitimate skill) but i would say either retrievers/fishers who are really good at it or off the table defenders. In either case, ones who can keep the ball on the table a long time testing my consistency.

Last edited:
Reactions: Overseer Kevin
And the ball would come back to me so fast with either no-spin or light top-spin.

Well, in fact usually I feel glad with such a situation. Just inspect the opponents' behaviour and serve on a place and with a portion of sidespin to predict the return direction. Fast flat or light spinned return is best for a massive attack.

For me - I don't like to play with choppers. Sometimes I start to chop too, just to show them how nasty they are.

Reactions: Overseer Kevin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
You know everything you need to know. It's what my opponents did to me back when I played LPs and I'd bump attack underspin serves. It's light topspin.

That should be one of the easier balls for you to attack first on. If someone gives you relatively slow (because most LP users are either OX or 1.0 sponge so it's hard to hit it super fast), and just light topspin, that's basically a meatball for you. If it's over the table, BH flip that thing.

Oh yeah. Forgot to answer the OP's question

What style below me (that's hard to gauge by saying below me because keeping the ball on the table is a legitimate skill) but i would say either retrievers/fishers who are really good at it or off the table defenders. In either case, ones who can keep the ball on the table a long time testing my consistency.

But good anti/LP players will send it back to a bad angle for you. It's not a light top spin coming to your sweet spot in a gift wrapped box!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b03HJA6cxwM

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
He started attacking my underspin serves with the long pips. PURE EVIL!!!!!! The pips backhand side of the blade would make this horrible knock sound. And the ball would come back to me so fast with either no-spin or light top-spin.
This made me laugh.
It is difficult to hit with LP but when there is incoming back spin, and especially chopped balls, the LP player should either punch block or even try to add to the spin. A lot depends on the LP.

HELP!!!!! And please don't hit me with the "stop serving underspin"... lol he'll attack any push just the same
You should be able to serve normally to the opponents FH. I find two options work serving to LPs. One is to serve short and low as in just clear the net. The spin doesn't matter much because the LP won't be affected by the spin much. This forces the LP player to hit the ball up. The second option is to serve very fast and long. In this case the LP player must decide whether drop back to chop or just block off the bounce but because you hit the ball with lots of energy the ball will bounce off the paddle with a flat trajectory that may go long or sometimes high. If you meet a very good LP player with 'soft hands' then you are in trouble. "Soft hands" is where the LP player is pulling the paddle toward himself thus cushioning the impact and killing the return speed. "soft hands" LP players can block short when you least expect it.

Not all LPs are the same. There is a lot of difference between LPs. I think I have 5 different LP paddles with different LPs on each. Some are good for spin reversal, some are good for block and hitting or more aggressive game and some are good for chopping. It isn't fair but you need to know what kind of LP you are playing against.

This user has no status.
Well, in fact usually I feel glad with such a situation. Just inspect the opponents' behaviour and serve on a place and with a portion of sidespin to predict the return direction. Fast flat or light spinned return is best for a massive attack.

For me - I don't like to play with choppers. Sometimes I start to chop too, just to show them how nasty they are.

I love choppers now. My coach (former #2 in the US) started my training by chopping me down. He would vary the spin from heavy chop to no spin or light underspin. Now i have no problem with looping and attacking underspin. Get low!!!! Hit on the level of the ball and POW!!!!!! IT'S OVER

This user has no status.
This made me laugh.
It is difficult to hit with LP but when there is incoming back spin, and especially chopped balls, the LP player should either punch block or even try to add to the spin. A lot depends on the LP.

You should be able to serve normally to the opponents FH. I find two options work serving to LPs. One is to serve short and low as in just clear the net. The spin doesn't matter much because the LP won't be affected by the spin much. This forces the LP player to hit the ball up. The second option is to serve very fast and long. In this case the LP player must decide whether drop back to chop or just block off the bounce but because you hit the ball with lots of energy the ball will bounce off the paddle with a flat trajectory that may go long or sometimes high. If you meet a very good LP player with 'soft hands' then you are in trouble. "Soft hands" is where the LP player is pulling the paddle toward himself thus cushioning the impact and killing the return speed. "soft hands" LP players can block short when you least expect it.

Not all LPs are the same. There is a lot of difference between LPs. I think I have 5 different LP paddles with different LPs on each. Some are good for spin reversal, some are good for block and hitting or more aggressive game and some are good for chopping. It isn't fair but you need to know what kind of LP you are playing against.

Glad I could make you laugh. You're right about the different types of long pips. Sponge vs no sponge. OMG! During a match it might take me a few points to get a feel for the pips. But once I figure out what's going on. Whew.... they in trouble. My biggest issue is when i have to push back off of my heavy loop. Sometimes i misjudge the amount of spin and drop the ball into the net. Ouch

This user has no status.
<code id="strikedResult"><code id="strikedResult">a̶n̶y̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶m̶e̶</code>

EDIT: they'd be higher rated then.

blockers give me some trouble
</code>

I practice a few hours a week with a great blocker. He's a penhold player who has a great active block. Well go for about 30 minutes of intense hitting close to the table and he's really brought my accuracy and recovery to another level. What kills me is when he does quick punches to my backhand out of nowhere. Completely disrupts my timing and balance. I told him next month well start drilling the backhand with the same intensity. Matter of fact I've got a video i might upload if i can figure out how. Lol

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
What helped for me is brushing the balls making not to much contact. By doing this balls are less likely to go over or in the net. Making less contact makes it possible hitting too hard or too soft, because hitting harder won't make too much difference compared to if you hit flatter, it just neutralizes the spin. Same with the hooking forehand. If you do that you just have more room for still hitting the table (maybe someone can explain it better)

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I don't particularly enjoy playing blockers/drivers glued to the table.

Well… yes. In that situation, I always get trashed at first. And then I glue myass to the table, and start applying pressure directly from the bounce. And then I usually win these matches, after closing the initial gap and bouts of despair.

This user has no status.
I am good against most styles but trick topspin serve and attack players are the ones that frustrate me especially if they smash. I like to play at my own pace so I hate being rushed.

I hate low, double bounce, spinny topspin serves to my forehand!!! To low to attack with the forehand. And my flick isn't good enough to consistently attack it with backhand.

This user has no status.
Most players below my level make quite a few easy mistakes against my balls. It gets hard for me if a player does NOT make easy mistakes but is able to play a safe shot with decent quality in any situation. Moreover, there are a few players below my level that give me a hard time due to their special serves.

As for the topic starter:
Either put more backspin in your balls or say thanks to the no-spin returns and attack them :p

This user has no status.
I have two strategies against LP. First I serve long fast with top or no spin, I get a slow relatively high ball with backspin , these are the balls I have good successfull rate. I through some serves in the his non LP side in case he wanted to take the pivot. when this works I win sets like 11-2 etc. One time I won a set 11-0 against a defender who had more points than me (I wanted to teach him a lesson, I hate ppl with LP or antitop, no mercy point).
this doesn't work sometimes , I then use the second strategy. I serve short to the pips with a lot of variatins between heavy backspin and no spin. Actually since I'm learning to do ghost serve consistently, it just suits my second strategy, it generates the variations needed since it is inconsistent. When this works they just make a lot of serve receive errors on their own. Sometimes nothing works ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
As a LP player I'll tell you what style I lose to most of the time (but I don't hate them, I love to play them more than folks who hate LP ha ha .. as they are too easy for me.)

Consistent players who can return balls back to the table regardless how hard you hit/loop. This is the most difficult style for me because my loop is not strong/fast enough to make these players block it out or miss. These players will beat me 9 out of 10 time and have solid rating of 2000+.

The anti-spin players who can twiddle and have good defense. I lose to this type of player 8/10.

The 2 wing FH/BH attackers who are not afraid of dead balls and can continue attacking regardless what kind of weird spin I put on . This type of player I'll lose to 7/10.

The loop then flat hit players who can smash kill dead ball. Fortunately they do not have strong loop so the chance against them is close to 5/10.

And of course the ones who are 200+ points (2150+) above me who can loop kill or put the ball in a very awkward locations for me to return the ball!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I hate players that are lucky so that the ball is always hitting the net and still landing or hitting the edge. Some are stupid lucky where you make a good shot deep to their BH and hit the ball back without looking or with the need to really twist their wrist and the ball still hits the net and rolls over or hits the edge.

There are some players I fear more for their consistent luck than their skill.

Don't give me this "it all evens out in the end" BS. It doesn't. That is like everyone flipping a coin 100 times and everyone getting 50 heads and 50 tails. It doesn't happen. Balls that hit the net and edges should be lets.