Why some player dint like anti and pimple player

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
These rubbers are legal. It is an important part of the sport. Every inverted player who encounters such a player should be happy. It is either a learning experience or maybe an easy win depending on who you and your opponent are. All good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
These rubbers are legal. It is an important part of the sport. Every inverted player who encounters such a player should be happy. It is either a learning experience or maybe an easy win depending on who you and your opponent are. All good.

Yep
I think those people who tends to complain about anti/pips etc, tend to complain a lot in general.
So I think it is not the equipment - it is the person

next they will complain about lefties, cpen, twiddling, the colour of your shirt, wall, floor, light, table, noise, choing etc
I think most of the time, these moaners are merely using it as a tactic to mess around with the opponent's head

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
In my local table tennis community there is a lot of players that openly don't like players with pimples or anti rubbers, they say mostly "it's not table tennis!!" "they should play among themselves!", some of them even forfeits matches against players with pimples/anti rubbers... There are even a regular (every week) tournament which doesn't allow to participate players with pimples/anti rubbers (I never was there, itsgoes against my principles, this is a form of discrimination IMO)... IMO all this player's don't want to learn or even think when they play, for them table tennis is simple, most of them plays total attacking style with no compromise, almost no "soft" control play at all, and of course the overall level of this players is not high... it's just IMHO table tennis is not that simple, so this people will never advance with the way they are thinking, I'm kinda pity them... that is only IMHO though, I played LP for about a year, tried anti, played with MP and SP, but for now returned to inverted rubbers and at a moment I'm having great troubles playing against pimples/anti rubbers, but that is entirely MY problem and it's for ME to solve...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english...

discrimination will always limit growth
so if one day, those players who discriminate against anti/pips play them, guess what - they will loose as they don't have experience/skills to play against them

you can't change discrimination habbits, I guess you can only find other people to play with.

another reason for discrimination is that those people are amateurs and unmature
if anyone is serious about table tennis, playing against anti/pips is very important aspect of the game.
I even build up 2 SP, 1 MP, 3 LP setups to use when I train juniors (its difficult for me as I'm a fast attacking CPen player who hates balls lasting too long, and with these setups, I need to hold patience and that is difficult for me :p)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
As one who has played plenty of both. Duel inverted & combo bats, just like anything, there are pluses & minuses with both.

I enjoy the freedom to play aggressively almost any shot with dual inverted. At the same time, I like turning the game into a more tactical thinking game that pip play brings. Particularly if you can twiddle. There are those out there who just like to turn their brain off & hit the ball. I generally feel it's these people who don't like "junk rubbers" because then they have to think vs just play and they simply don't understand what's going on. They get frustrated with unforced errors and that's where silly comments can come out. If you're a junk rubber player, you learn quickly to not let these effect you whatsoever. Just say GG and go about your business.

On the whole if one choose that style because it fits them best or if they're covering up a weakness, does it really matter? lol. I mean really who cares what people call you or think about you. This isn't high school. Just play. A moster FH loop for a winner counts just the same as a pips chop that opponent puts into the net. Just one is more impressive to look at than the other. Again... Who cares?

I personally like the variety as that's what I find keeps the game interesting. The game would be boring if everybody played shakehand duel inverted.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
To pip or not to pip: that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous comments from one's fellow players or to take up pips or anti- against a sea of inverted and, through a few victories, overcome them, and then...ay, that's the rub...

Half-arsed parodies of Shakespearian soliloquies aside, this decision, given the numerous beyond numerous types of rubbers available to today's players, is one of no great insignificance.

If you choose to use long pips, medium pips, short pips, or antispin rubber on one side of your blade, you will most likely have to learn how to use them through trial and error against your opponents, as there are virtually no coaches who can or will teach you how to use these rubbers for maximum effectiveness.

Antispin rubber at the world class level has not been effective to my knowledge since the time of the American players Dan Seemiller and Eric Boggan some 40+ years ago. Today's antispin rubbers can, I suspect, be effective if used by a capable amateur player who has a sound backhand block and a decent backhand chop to go along with it.

Long pips are another animal altogether. They can be extremely frustrating to competitive players who do not understand what they can and can't do, and totally bewilder newcomers to the competitive sport. The same is true for inverted rubbers, which take time and practice to even begin to master a wee bit, and again are not user friendly to newcomers who have never played with them or have played with recreational rackets providing limited speed and limited spin.

Table tennis is, and has been for several decades unbalanced, and biased in favor of an attacking approach, discouraging players who haven't the time to become comfortable with such an approach, and in addition lack a coach or a somewhat knowledgeable practice partner to show them how to serve, push aggressively, loop, and block. The player who chooses to use long pips, short pips, or antispin rubber is presently pretty much left on his or her own.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
In my local table tennis community there is a lot of players that openly don't like players with pimples or anti rubbers, they say mostly "it's not table tennis!!" "they should play among themselves!", some of them even forfeits matches against players with pimples/anti rubbers...

That's should be enough for me to go and change to pimples :) To annoy such "players".
As it was said in this thread, if someone can't beat the pips it theirs fault, not the opponents.
There is one player in my cub who plays with pips and I am always struggling against him and must consciously think what I am doing or I loose it. But that's exactly why I like playing against him.

There are even a regular (every week) tournament which doesn't allow to participate players with pimples/anti rubbers (I never was there, itsgoes against my principles, this is a form of discrimination IMO)...

That's crazy...