Xiom Vega Intro

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Plays like a glued classic (Sriver/Coppa/Mark V)

really good for beginners and control in general, great in short games but with moderate catapult. Superb for learning technique. The best thing is that's it has a medium hard sponge, not a soft one like most slower tensors.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Bumping this thread hoping to get some info between this and Vega Europe. How do the two compare I guess in 'ease of use and development? Which one would be better suited for a beginner-intermediate looking to develop their skills?

I've seen a lot of recommendations for Vega Europe for fh & bh, but also reading that soft sponges may be somewhat "hindering" because of the softness. Since Vega Intro is a newer rubber, there's not too much info out there on it, but I also see it recommended often as a perfect beginner rubber.

For reference I'd be replacing the Mark V rubbers I've had on my Yasaka (Gatien) Extra for the past 2-3 years.

says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
In terms of development a harder rubber is better. Especially the opening against backspin is harder with a harder sponge. But once you master it, the generated spin is much higher. The Intro is very linear and has a lot less catapult compared to the Vega Europe. Once the Intro will not be enough in speed dimension, the natural upgrade would be Vega Pro.
I would start with the 2.0mm version and then go to Max followed by the Pro.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Vega Europe is a lot softer than the Mark V.

Not only that, but also a lot bouncier due to more inbuilt speedglue-feeling.

Yes, that would be a good progression. In case the Mark V rubbers were already max, maybe skip the 2.0 mm Intro altogether.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
you would be better off with the Vega intro as Vega Europe is a lot softer than the Mark V.
A solid suggestion, thanks.

The Intro is very linear and has a lot less catapult compared to the Vega Europe. Once the Intro will not be enough in speed dimension, the natural upgrade would be Vega Pro.
Great advice, thanks! I was planning on going with 2.0, but now I see sponge thickness make a huge difference. Im assuming in speed & control. After going Max, I'll probably upgrade to Pro on fh and Europe on bh as I've read the Pro is harder to control on the bh and not as good a rubber as Europe on bh. Correct me if Im wrong.

Im having a hard time understanding the relation between catapult & speed. Vega Europe has a soft sponge, which are regarded as slow right? Yet it has more bounce/catapult than Intro. Does that make it harder to control or just unpredictable?In my head a bouncier rubber just sounds like its faster lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Interesting reading here, as I’m researching what to get after I finish with my MarkV too. Currently looking at the xiom pro FH+ xiom Europe BH but I tested and enjoyed the Rakza7 fh+Rakza7soft Bh and I’m wondering if these pair of rubbers are comparable

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Interesting reading here, as I’m researching what to get after I finish with my MarkV too. Currently looking at the xiom pro FH+ xiom Europe BH but I tested and enjoyed the Rakza7 fh+Rakza7soft Bh and I’m wondering if these pair of rubbers are comparable

I’ll let the pros chime in, but everything I’ve read says that although R7 is a classic rubber, the Vega series is a a slightly improved version. At some point in the future I plan on running R7 on both sides or a combination of Vega Pro fh/Rakza 7 bh.

Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
In very, very simplified terms a softer sponge needs less force to get activated, but due to the softness can not be compressed as much. At the end, the harder sponge will result in more speed, when more force is applied. But to activate a harder sponge you need a better technique (quicker acceleration in arm, wrist and hips).

Catapult can be viewed as a deformation of a linear force/speed line towards lower force/higher speed. But does not define how fast the rubber is at the end. This usually makes catapult rubbers hard to control in short game and block, but help to reduce your movements, as with less force you already get a higher speed.

lLike in life, every advantage, come with a disadvantage in another area. This is why it is pretty difficult to advice on material, without seeing someone play.

Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
There is a link to hardness, but not as easy as harder/bouncier (more catapult). I view catapult as the ability of the sponge to release the energy stored in the compression of the sponge almost instentaneous. Where as linear rubbers release the energy over a longer period (we still talk miliseconds). It is similar with foam cushions. They offer a certain resistance (hardness), but might have different abilities to restore to their normal form after deformation.
Topsheets also have a similar behaviour, which is why so many different rubbers exists. The combination of topsheet + sponge gives you a lot of variations.

Last edited:
Mark V is slower than Vega Intro. Mark V has decreased its power when the ball changed to 40 from 38 and from cellu to poly.

Yes, that would be a good progression. In case the Mark V rubbers were already max, maybe skip the 2.0 mm Intro altogether.

Reactions: Silver Server
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I’ll let the pros chime in, but everything I’ve read says that although R7 is a classic rubber, the Vega series is a a slightly improved version. At some point in the future I plan on running R7 on both sides or a combination of Vega Pro fh/Rakza 7 bh.

I don't know if you can say the Vega series is an improved version of R7. Vega Pro is very similar to R7, the other Vegas are not. The Vega series offers a larger spectrum than say the Rakza series which really starts at R7 and goes up, with the exception of R7 Soft (which is really soft btw, whereas the Vega series starts much lower with Vega Intro and goes up from there.