DHS Hurricane 3 neo lack speed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hi to all, I'm starting to play seriously with a coach since October twice a week, I've met the TT the last year so I'm not a lot experienced, my setup is a Petr Korbel FL euro 89g, hurricane 3 neo black max, tibhar mx-p red max, my strokes are relatively good but not perfect, I'm learning to brush the ball to get spin, the issue is that I feel a lack of speed, by the way I'm not hitting without spin because will be a slower speed with the h3n, do you know may be could be because the blade is 5 ply wood without carbon? Or the rubber is too sticky? Or may be I'm not hitting correctly? (With the mx-p don't have problems because when I know that I've shot wrongly I know it's my fault).
Thanks in advance for share your wisdom

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

Don't know how is your shot technique, so I will write purely on equipment.

1 You need more power if you use H3. And the ceiling for H3 is higher. That is to say, lets comparing H3 with mx-p.
mx-p: you use 30% power you get 50% speed. 50% power and get 70% speed. but 100% power you get 90% speed. 120% power get 100% speed.
H3: 30% power 30% speed, 50% power 50% speed. 100% power 100% speed. 120% power - 120% speed.
(don't think too much about the numbers, this is just an indication)

This is the characteristics of tacky and non-tacky rubbers. for small - medium power, non-tacky rubbers get more speed, but has ceilings. H3 is more linear with higher ceilings.

2 same with Korbel. 5 ply wood is slow when using 40+ balls. you really need power + power + power to get more speed.

3 If you really want to try H3, Provincial H3 neo is better than H3 neo. H3 neo is really hard to play.

Solution?
1 change to some 7ply or fiber blade. 7ply suits H3, some butterfly ALC &ZLF blade suits H3. Stiga Carbon blade is fine. ZLC don't suits H3 really well.

2 Provincial H3 neo + seamoon booster.

This user has no status.
1. Your setup is able to generate a lot of speed. Definitely enough for a beginner.
2. If you have a coach, you should ask him where the problem is and that you would like to be able to generate more speed. He is able to help you much more than we are.
3. Generally, when it comes to lack of spin and / or speed the problem is nearly always the player's technique and not the equipment, especially at a beginner level.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
dominus, the last time you were talking about equipment and EJing on the forum, your videos showed that you were at a very beginner level and that your equipment was too fast for you; that you were missing shots and did not have much control because the ball was flying off your racket.

My guess is that, with the H3, you don't have the precision to brush the ball consistently. If you did, that rubber can be pretty fast. But if you are impacting flat, it is pretty slow.

Why don't you post some recent footage of you with your coach and some recent footage of match play. I actually doubt that, a racket that just a few months ago was definitely too fast for you is now, somehow, too slow for you. But you may not have precise enough contact or good enough technique to use H3 effectively. But I don't think anyone can say anything that is accurate without footage of what you are doing at this point in your development.

Reactions: Suga D and dominus7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
I've switched from mx-p to h3 neo but I boost my rubber with haifu seamoon.

Without booster I've never changed because it's totally different, I didn't like the feeling and lack of catapult.

But if you're a beginner it's better to have a slow setup to develop speed and spin with the correct stroke mechanics. When you need more power/speed boost a single layer of haifu seamoon and it will be perfect.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I agree with Carl,
without Video it's impossible to give proper advice, but most likely this here seems to be the case.

Or may be I'm not hitting correctly?

To me H3N feels NOT slow. It might be feeling slower if you just loop with your arm, but as soon as you start using your body more, especially your hips, it feels pretty fast.
So as said above, better ask your coach about this issue and ask him to show you how to use your body during strokes or post some new footage of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: dominus7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I agree with Carl,
without Video it's impossible to give proper advice, but most likely this here seems to be the case.

To me H3N feels NOT slow. It might be feeling slower if you just loop with your arm, but as soon as you start using your body more, especially your hips, it feels pretty fast.
So as said above, better ask your coach about this issue and ask him to show you how to use your body during strokes or post some new footage of you.
By the way what blade do you use?

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
You have to use the H3N for a while before it comes into its own. It starts out too hard and bricky to be useful for most players.
Though in any case it's probably not the best for most players even then.

I never grew to like it, but mostly because of how badly it is affected by even slight humidity

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I think generally H3 Neo is slow if it's not boosted. Even if you have good technique, it only be fast enough when you can swing with full power and have a perfect contact with the ball, which can't happen all the time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017

1 You need more power if you use H3. And the ceiling for H3 is higher. That is to say, lets comparing H3 with mx-p.
mx-p: you use 30% power you get 50% speed. 50% power and get 70% speed. but 100% power you get 90% speed. 120% power get 100% speed.
H3: 30% power 30% speed, 50% power 50% speed. 100% power 100% speed. 120% power - 120% speed.

This is the characteristics of tacky and non-tacky rubbers. for small - medium power, non-tacky rubbers get more speed, but has ceilings. H3 is more linear with higher ceilings.

2 same with Korbel. 5 ply wood is slow when using 40+ balls. you really need power + power + power to get more speed.

3 If you really want to try H3, Provincial H3 neo is better than H3 neo. H3 neo is really hard to play.

Solution?
1 change to some 7ply or fiber blade. 7ply suits H3, some butterfly ALC &ZLF blade suits H3. Stiga Carbon blade is fine. ZLC don't suits H3 really well.

Because I know with the hurricane 3 neo I need the power I've chosen because I do force myself to stroke correctly, but sometimes I think even if I hit with all my strength, the shot won't be as fast as I want, at least if I compare my backhand I think the speed is close to the same, so I think may be the stickiness of the rubber put slower hit, I'm pretty sure if I hit flat the ball won't go fast, so always try to hit with spin, because only like that the rubber allows more spin and speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
dominus, the last time you were talking about equipment and EJing on the forum, your videos showed that you were at a very beginner level and that your equipment was too fast for you; that you were missing shots and did not have much control because the ball was flying off your racket.

My guess is that, with the H3, you don't have the precision to brush the ball consistently. If you did, that rubber can be pretty fast. But if you are impacting flat, it is pretty slow.

Why don't you post some recent footage of you with your coach and some recent footage of match play. I actually doubt that, a racket that just a few months ago was definitely too fast for you is now, somehow, too slow for you. But you may not have precise enough contact or good enough technique to use H3 effectively. But I don't think anyone can say anything that is accurate without footage of what you are doing at this point in your development.
Yeah I'll upload a footage, I can't now, but I'll do it ASAP. Thanks

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017

Solution?

Thanks a lot for your advice, I want to stay with the Korbel or some primorac or yasaka Sweden extra, because the feeling, I will wait to the rubber lose some of its stickiness, some said something like "breaking the rubber" not mess it, but get used to it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I've switched from mx-p to h3 neo but I boost my rubber with haifu seamoon.

Without booster I've never changed because it's totally different, I didn't like the feeling and lack of catapult.

But if you're a beginner it's better to have a slow setup to develop speed and spin with the correct stroke mechanics. When you need more power/speed boost a single layer of haifu seamoon and it will be perfect.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Yeah, the catapult effect isn't there, I don't use booster either, I know the booster get softer the sponge, because when the ball sink into the sponge I feel it stays more time than the common, and after the speed is not that I wanted...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I agree with Carl,

The problem with my coach is that he doesn't like Chinese rubbers, so he told me, is because the rubber is very tacky, so I didn't expect more than that speed at least till the tackiness worn off. He's an awesome teacher, and is very strict about the correct technique in the stroke, he likes the perfect stroke, stance, position, etc. And he told me too because I'm a EJ, I feel that difference. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
When I use my spare setup with H3, I feel like I have to swing like a Troll the Axe Thrower. Otherwise nothing happens.
Yeah, I feel something like that, I need to put a lot of effort to get speed, but also is an issue because the opponent can use that as counter attack.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
You have to use the H3N for a while before it comes into its own. It starts out too hard and bricky to be useful for most players.
Though in any case it's probably not the best for most players even then.

I never grew to like it, but mostly because of how badly it is affected by even slight humidity
Most the time I use my breath to clean the surface, and as you said, I'm starting to feel get softens and less tackier. I hope that be only the issue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017

This is a footage from a month ago, when the rubber was new.
https://youtu.be/EuTUUwV3mKM