Jun Mizutani Forehand Topspin - Need Chinese Translator

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Please can someone who understands Chinese translate for me at a high level what the video is saying with a special emphasis on the two graphical simulations shown between 1:20 and 4:30?

Question? Is that Chinese or is it Japanese? If Chinese, does anyone know what dialect?

I am not sure I would be able to tell the difference.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
By looking at the two boxes that illustrate the shot it looks as "golfs hook and slice", by putting spin on the ball making it go according to those illustrations. Sweeping fh making it drift to the right (if you're a righty) of a hooking shot making it go left. Just my 2 cents.

Please can someone who understands Chinese translate for me at a high level what the video is saying with a special emphasis on the two graphical simulations shown between 1:20 and 4:30? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q35_P8qEYZU

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
It's straight up mandarin and it looks like nobody has taken a crack at it yet, so here goes. A more rigorous explanation of some of the trickier parts may be needed from someone else, but this should cover most of it.

-right before contact, the rackets angle changes to become a down-the-line" using change in wrist (thereby changing the path of the ball (1:36)
-if you do not make this change in wrist configuration, the angle of the racket takes the ball in the usual cross-court forehand (1:48) in this scenario, the contact is synced together with power from both the waist and the forearm (1:54)
-(2:00) now let's take a look at the different paths and trajectories of the strokes/shots, you'll see that they are quite different
-(2:05) (side-by-side on screen) the strokes are similar, as you can see, but the difference comes in the moment of exerting power (the chinese expression "fa li" is more subtle, but this is the best I can come up with). In the "sliding stroke" ("hua ban", again the best I can come up with) there are changes in both the fingers and wrist. At the moment right before contact, the wrist bends slightly back (translators note: and as I can see in the image, the racket angle opens slightly).
-(2:26) the narrator thinks these 3D representations are pretty good.
-(2:36) obviously in reality, the changes at the hand do not (and probably cannot) happen as slowly as they do in the cartoon
-(2:53) while the waist turns as usual in both strokes, it might be thought that the motion of the arm and the waist in the sliding stroke are somewhat opposite.This is such as the wrist and forearm are exerting power on the down-the-line and the waist rotates as usual from right to left in cross-court direction.
-(3:11) but they're not really opposite (lol)
-(3:17) actually for the "sliding stroke" the direction of power of stroke is already directed towards the down-the-line (between the start of the stroke and through the moment of contact
-similarly for normal cross court forehands the entire direction of power is already cross-court
-the distinction comes from the combinations of these two concepts: direction of power from your 1) stroke 2) racket angle/hand
-(3:50ish) if you direct your stroke/body power down the line but your racket/hand angle is still cross court, it will be very difficult to make the ball actually go down the line
-(4:09) but the "sliding forehand" is not the same as a down the line forehand anyway, the sliding forehand has a certain element of surprise. The sudden angle change just before contact is much more deceptive than having your racket angle already set up as such.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I might add that the later parts of the video are interesting as well:

In the segments with Mizutani looping against Coach Tasei after the 4:30, he explains that the "sliding forehand" basically has the appearance of the normal forehand in terms of power and waist rotation directionality. The forearm, wrist and hand alter the direction of the ball. Without these adjustments in the collective lower arm, there is no way to perform this "sliding forehand" at 5:55 he somehow explains that the direction of power from the waist, upper arm and lower arm are already directed towards the short side of the table, but after the moment of contact, the follow-through is as a normal cross-court (which may or may not be more confusing, based on the earlier parts of the video)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thanks to NL for the link and TTC for the translation. Interesting but misleading video. The graphic doesn't capture what Mizutani is doing. He's looping, not driving as in the graphic, so his wrist is below the table before he hits the ball, making a sudden wrist angle change useless for deception; that only works for over the table shots likes pushes where your opponent can actually see your wrist. More to the point, he's not redirecting the shot by changing his wrist angle. He's just waiting slightly to begin his swing, so when he starts his hip/shoulder rotation the ball has moved past him and dropped a little. So he catches it earlier in the loop when it's easier to keep the blade moving away from rather than back across his body. It's not even a fade; little to no inside-out spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks to NL for the link and TTC for the translation. Interesting but misleading video. The graphic doesn't capture what Mizutani is doing. He's looping, not driving as in the graphic, so his wrist is below the table before he hits the ball, making a sudden wrist angle change useless for deception; that only works for over the table shots likes pushes where your opponent can actually see your wrist. More to the point, he's not redirecting the shot by changing his wrist angle. He's just waiting slightly to begin his swing, so when he starts his hip/shoulder rotation the ball has moved past him and dropped a little. So he catches it earlier in the loop when it's easier to keep the blade moving away from rather than back across his body. It's not even a fade; little to no inside-out spin.

I thought about this and get many of your points but think you are underestimating the importance of the racket angle regardless. It is a fade shot as well.