Forehand vs Backhand

says I've got WhatsApp and Facebook if that's ok with you.
Sep 2017
For it is easier to block with a bavkhand because of the anatomical position where your elbow is.more.flexed and it is nearer to your body. Also, the position of the arm is more stable.

THIS, it feels more natural. Plus, even though you get a bigger swing with a FH, the BH motion is "tighter".

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2017
To answer the OP who is a beginner in SH but a veteran with PH we need to understand also that his FH dominate PH style is a much higher level than his BH penhold. I believe this is the old PH style, not the Wang Hao's. So when he switched to SH, he expected to reach the same FH level like he used to with PH along with his improving BH that he didn't have with PH.

Like boxing, tennis, etc. the FH swing in TT is always more natural with forehand in attacking. In defense it is probably BH like someone mentioned. It depends.

I actually have a decent RPB lol, maybe that's also why the SH BH feels more natural to me, granted they are not identical strokes, but a similar.

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2017
Yep. Great post Monster.

At the beginning stages when you realize that the biggest component of a BH power shot is that your arm goes from bent to straight, and when you just put your racket out, you still put the ball on the table, then biomechanically, and technically, BH is easier to learn at that level.

If you are talking about touch and refining the shot to make more spin contact and on the bigger shots start adding more legs and waist, well, there is some extra to think about. But, it is still not as complex as all the moving parts of a FH: hips, legs, (are used much more on FH), upper arm, lower arm, wrist (need much more detail on FH and much more training to get your arm into a position that is "artificial" and hard to do, so that the blade face is adjusted for a SH FH loop). In PH, the racket position automatically goes to an excellent angle and position to spin the ball. In SH, you have to do things to your wrist and forearm to get the blade face close enough to spin well.

For SH BH, all you have to do is cock your wrist and it closes the blade face. :)

So:

1) Moving parts for basic mechanics:

a) BH = forearm (you don't need to think about the rest for the basics). The use of wrist is just very natural to a BH. You don't have to think about it for some use of wrist to simply fall into place. And the legs, hips, torso, they start doing what they should over time as a player improves.​

b) FH = legs, hips waist, upper arm (stable), forearm; are all very important. And when you pass the basics, figuring out how to use the wrist is pretty complicated.​

2) Angle of racket for topspin:

a) BH = very easy to use wrist flexion and forearm supination to close the racket on the BH side.​

b) FH = without a big grip change it is very hard to change the angle of the racket so that the racket closes over the ball easily. The combination of wrist extension and forearm pronation which is needed is very unnatural to our arms. So many SH players with good FH have a noticeable FH grip.​

Precisely. With the SH BH, you can block all the way from the BH side to the FH side, something you can't do in reverse with the FH side.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Regarding the difficulty of angling the FH hit to cover the top of the ball --- very easy fix - bend knees more than you think you should. When I'm lazy about that I lose games :/

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Regarding the difficulty of angling the FH hit to cover the top of the ball --- very easy fix - bend knees more than you think you should. When I'm lazy about that I lose games :/

I would like to see the video footage. I have seen many posts from NextLevel asking for this. Sometimes it helps get the perspective of what the information presented actually means.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
I don't think that BH requires less practice. Learning the "touch" on BH i.e. how to adapt it to balls of different spin, speed, height, depth at different distances from the table requires massive, gigantic amount of quality practice. Just like it is on FH, but with more difficult timing and less power to rely on.

"more difficult timing and less power to rely on" is precisely why talented players get the backhand right sooner and with less practice than the forehand. less talented players have to practice their backhand even more so than the forehand and still find it very hard to improve.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2017
"more difficult timing and less power to rely on" is precisely why talented players get the backhand right sooner and with less practice than the forehand. less talented players have to practice their backhand even more so than the forehand and still find it very hard to improve.

Sooo, iam a talented player then??? :p

Sep 2017
are you? or are you just not very fast and mobile? or maybe you lack structured practice?

That was tongue in cheek hahaha. Im actually NOT fast and mobile, i run quick, bt after a good start, think low acceleration good top speed car hahaha. Bt yes on a serious note, id consider myself slow for TT for sure, especially currently. During my younger days playing Penhold was a breeze, i could easily run around for FHs.

Switching to SH has helped with my lessened mobility. Though my SH FH definitely needs work.

This user has no status.
That was tongue in cheek hahaha. Im actually NOT fast and mobile, i run quick, bt after a good start, think low acceleration good top speed car hahaha. Bt yes on a serious note, id consider myself slow for TT for sure, especially currently. During my younger days playing Penhold was a breeze, i could easily run around for FHs.

Switching to SH has helped with my lessened mobility. Though my SH FH definitely needs work.

i didn't mean it in a bad way, it could really be anything of the above mentioned: talent or being slow or lacking enough hours of practice in a certain area, but it's most likely a combination.

another factor is that you already have the general timing and touch precision from your penhold experience, which actually simulates a beginner player with god like talent but no ingrained technical patterns. this helps immensly for the backhand topspin, but for the forehand you just have to put in the hours of sweat into it and get the technique ingrained into your muscle memory, there is no shortcut.

Sep 2017
i didn't mean it in a bad way, it could really be anything of the above mentioned: talent or being slow or lacking enough hours of practice in a certain area, but it's most likely a combination.

another factor is that you already have the general timing and touch precision from your penhold experience, which actually simulates a beginner player with god like talent but no ingrained technical patterns. this helps immensly for the backhand topspin, but for the forehand you just have to put in the hours of sweat into it and get the technique ingrained into your muscle memory, there is no shortcut.

No no, i never took in a bad way lol and yes, i most definitely have to work on my FH. Flat hits are good, bt topspins? Yeah, they need work.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
I like this idea, eliminating a weakness.

The idea is that switching back to the grip that's more natural for you will be quicker and more accurate, so yes, you eliminate the weakness of the awkward switch. At least until it's no longer a weakness and then do whatever you like

Reactions: Wetwork_Orange
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
backhand is more natural, it needs good timing and feeling. forehand is more technical and needs more practice.

For me it's different. I never had a lot of coaching and training and I worked a lot on it myself. My forehand is very dominant and I can only block and punch with my backhand. It's the same for a lot of people here.

Even the top player's, the ones that train really hard, often they have a dominant backhand. Gauzy, Ovtcharov and Dyas for example.

Last edited:
I think also people have noticed that the backhand if done in a good way, blocking can be really deceptive in terms of direction and placement. although you can do the block in your forehand but the backhand has less movement the sudden change of direction in blocks are more dangerous than that of the forehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'm FH dominate simply because I have more time on it. Played penhold for years using an old Jpen and learned TPB.

Sometimes wish I could relearn the game all over again because now I play Cpen and use RPB. And just like my shakehand early days, I think my BH (just done with RPB) is sometimes my most powerful shot.

from my youtube channel.
cache.php

That being said, when it comes to instinctively blocking, I'm still much prefer TPB over RPB. Something I'm ever trying to re-wire in my brain which is a challenge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilia Minkin
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
backhand is more natural, it needs good timing and feeling. forehand is more technical and needs more practice.

Perhaps, except in one really important way. Backhand requires that you hit the ball while it is more or less in front of your body. You can't stretch to the side and hit a good backhand, so your footwork to that side has to be better. Forehand is more forgiving in allowing you to hit good shots from not so optimal positions. (I tend to be FH dominant).