Training camp in china?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Hey I'm starting to get interested in checking if it would be worth going to a training camp in china for 2-3 weeks.
But I'm unsure where to find info and how to be able to find a camp that would fit my level etc. How would I go about this if anyone have had experience of it?

I'm 28 and would of course like if it was more adults in the group but don't really mind as long as I will have good people to practice with and good coaches of course.

Anyone has any ideas where to start looking?:)

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hey I'm starting to get interested in checking if it would be worth going to a training camp in china for 2-3 weeks.
But I'm unsure where to find info and how to be able to find a camp that would fit my level etc. How would I go about this if anyone have had experience of it?

I'm 28 and would of course like if it was more adults in the group but don't really mind as long as I will have good people to practice with and good coaches of course.

Anyone has any ideas where to start looking?:)

For "adults", I tend to ask if you want more table tennis, or you want to balance it out with siteseeing etc
and from table tennis - how many hours are you looking to train in a day

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
There have been a few threads about this before you might find interesting.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?8488-Training-camp-in-Zhengding

Hey there have been a few threads about this already. I guess this is the information that you've been looking for.
You might want to have a read
[Emoji6]
Here is a thread about a Forum member who has been to Zhending National Tabletennis Sports School.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...78-My-journey-table-tennis-training-in-china-)

Actually here's another one.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?8488-Training-camp-in-Zhengding

Matt Hetherington has been there too and also wrote a Blog about this.
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2015/July/15/Training-in-China-Zhengding-Blog-1

[EDIT: Just saw Rid the Kid was faster...]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
For "adults", I tend to ask if you want more table tennis, or you want to balance it out with siteseeing etc
and from table tennis - how many hours are you looking to train in a day

More adults because it would of course be nice to have someone to hang out with after training etc.
But I would like to go to a serious camp specially if it's only 2-3 weeks. So train from morning to evening with a lunchbreak and maybe 1 day off per week if even that.

My first thought was going for 2 weeks and then maybe take a week vacation in SE asia after.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I heard shandong has a good club. A friend of mine trained there many years ago.

yep
the luneng school is a good option in Shandong

I think I prefer Da Lian university now, as the facilities are all upgraded
I have access to Heilongjiang too, but winter now is way too cold (-30 degrees)

Egypt national team went to Shaanxi Base in Xian
Thailand national team went to Zeng Ding
My friend's player (junior olympic for Chinese Taipei) went to Fujian Base

Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
More adults because it would of course be nice to have someone to hang out with after training etc.
But I would like to go to a serious camp specially if it's only 2-3 weeks. So train from morning to evening with a lunchbreak and maybe 1 day off per week if even that.

My first thought was going for 2 weeks and then maybe take a week vacation in SE asia after.

If you go to a proper base, then it is more kids/juniors

I think what may suite you more in the university team at Da Lian that is open to foreigners too
After training - you can go out drinking with your new friends
You can't do that to the kids in Zheng Ding, unless you make friends with the coaches

If I recall (I organised one of my players to go), Da Lian was USD60 a day, training/accommodation/meal, Zheng Ding has a wide price gap, I also got USD60, but I think most people pay USD70.
The longer stays does allow discounts

You can do your siteseeing at any base if it is 1 day a week
I guess you will be sleeping in the whole morning, so it will be half day siteseeing :p
Just make sure you train 20+ hours a week for few weeks before going there, else you will be wasting your time recovering from muscle pain

I wanted to organise a "holiday/TT" tour in Tainan (Taiwan) before
A bunch of adults going to train as well as tour/siteseeing
One of my friends - formal top international - Wu Wen Jia has a new base there, some of Chinese Taipei top juniors and some current senior members are there too (when they are not on training duty at the national base which is 1 hour drive away)

Taiwan provides an easy siteseeing attraction compared to China, as China is just way too big to travel to another city
IE Tainan to Taipei is only 1.5 hour by bullet train

Another option is Chuan Chih Yuan's base - Chih Yuan table tennis centre in Kaoshiung, it is run by his brother.
This base in 20 mins away from the national training center
If you are there while i'm there, I can even take you into the national training centre, but otherwise it is not really open to public.

Last edited:
Reactions: stephan76 and pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Those all sound really cool, but is there any site or how would I even go through booking these? Taiwan sounds interesting as it seems like a cool country to visit also.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Those all sound really cool, but is there any site or how would I even go through booking these? Taiwan sounds interesting as it seems like a cool country to visit also.

you can just google Da Lian university and Chih Yuan table tennis base or centre

For kids, I will say go to China as that is 90% table tennis, 10% siteseeing
for adults, I would say go to Taiwan, as the option of siteseeing can increase a lot
Also depends if you family with the place/chinese culture etc

Also if you don't like to stay with them, you can do your own airbnb homework too
Da Lin has a nice dorm like Zheng Ding
Chih Yuan's one isn't as nice (not single bedroom, but dorm rooms), but you can always stay nearby

Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Just curious. Is language barrier a thing in Taiwanese training centers?

Imo it is slightly better in Taiwan than China, but this really difficult to say

your older coaches English isn't that good, but then like my other friend - Co-Op bank head coach Liao (boss of Wu wen Jia, Chiang Peng lung), was a coach sent by the national association to help south american team, he stayed there for many years and is fluent in Spanish.
If I'm correct, the current head of South American table tennis federation is one of his former students.

In both countries, your younger coaches generally have studied English
From English academic point of view, Taiwan is better than China as China's sport school system from English academic point of view is inferior compared to Taiwan traditional schooling system (kids actually go to school for full day, and train after school)

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What did you think about the Facebook page?

Imo it is slightly better in Taiwan than China, but this really difficult to say

your older coaches English isn't that good, but then like my other friend - Co-Op bank head coach Liao (boss of Wu wen Jia, Chiang Peng lung), was a coach sent by the national association to help south american team, he stayed there for many years and is fluent in Spanish.
If I'm correct, the current head of South American table tennis federation is one of his former students.

In both countries, your younger coaches generally have studied English
From English academic point of view, Taiwan is better than China as China's sport school system from English academic point of view is inferior compared to Taiwan traditional schooling system (kids actually go to school for full day, and train after school)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Having some issues finding any website related to da lian or Chih Yuan table tennis base. All i find is info about Chih Yuan when his name is in the search :). But Taiwan definetely sounds like a good plan for me. Will try to up my table tennis play though before I go, I play maybe 10 hours a week but also do weight lifting and some running.