Wear on MX-P

Hi all,
Can you guys take a look at these pictures and explain what is going on? Both rubbers are fairly new (been used for about a month) and I clean them using a water dampened sponge after every time I play. I have tried using olive oil as well as a little soap to try to fix it but it seems like there i nothing on the topsheet. The area that looks worn also feels slicker and doesn't grab the ball as well. I also have two other sheets that are older than these ones and have been used more but those are fine. So have I just got bad apples or is this normal?
image1 (1).jpg
image2.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Were they like that when new?

Is it possible that something got spilled on the rubbers and damaged them. Or that something spilled on the bag they were in.

Or, the racket was left somewhere where that area was on a heat source and the heat damaged the rubber.

It is the same area on each rubber.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: vvk1 and Saitama
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Yes they always sell them like that, two sweet spots are the new era :p

I doubt that it is a production error (wouldn't be on a black and red sheet + you would have seen it before glueing) so Carl is probably right. The red one looks a bit like it might come from someone stepping on it but it would probably not transfer on the other side idk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Were they like that when new?

Is it possible that something got spilled on the rubbers and damaged them. Or that something spilled on the bag they were in.

Or, the racket was left somewhere where that area was on a heat source and the heat damaged the rubber.

It is the same area on each rubber.

They were definitely not like this when they were new and I highly doubt anything spilled on them. Also, the rubbers are on different blades are kept in separate cases. The spot started after about 2 or 3 weeks and slowly got bigger and bigger until it got to its present state

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess, some more questions. Because, if that area has less grip and has not faded on its own with time, it is probably not from water on the area.

Are both rubbers FH rubbers on their respective blades? Are both BH rubbers? Or is one FH and one BH?

When you store your rackets, is it possible they are on something where there is a heat source just under part of the racket? Or a part of the trunk of your car that heats up? Or something extra cold?

Is that the area of the rubber where you contact the ball most often?

It is hard to really see in the photo but it does look like the rubber was damaged and broke down, melted or oxidized way more than normal in those areas.

Is the sponge under those areas still springy? Or is it a little more rigid than other areas of the rubber.

I have seen rubbers left next to a thermos of coffee have something like that. For this, it seems you may have inadvertently put each separate racket next to something that caused that. But, without seeing it in person, it is hard to tell.

Probably some moisture ou some thing from your bag. Do you use protective foils on the rubbers ou do you have a silica absorver that got ripped off?

I don't have any protective foils but that doesn't explain why it hasn't happened to my other MX-Ps or any of my other rubbers which were kept in the same case.

I guess, some more questions. Because, if that area has less grip and has not faded on its own with time, it is probably not from water on the area.

Are both rubbers FH rubbers on their respective blades? Are both BH rubbers? Or is one FH and one BH?

When you store your rackets, is it possible they are on something where there is a heat source just under part of the racket? Or a part of the trunk of your car that heats up? Or something extra cold?

Is that the area of the rubber where you contact the ball most often?

It is hard to really see in the photo but it does look like the rubber was damaged and broke down, melted or oxidized way more than normal in those areas.

Is the sponge under those areas still springy? Or is it a little more rigid than other areas of the rubber.

I have seen rubbers left next to a thermos of coffee have something like that. For this, it seems you may have inadvertently put each separate racket next to something that caused that. But, without seeing it in person, it is hard to tell.

They are both BH rubbers and the rubbers have never been exposed to extreme temperatures as far as I know and no fluids besides my sweat, water, the black one to a little soap, and the red one to olive oil. The rubbers are still just as springy in the worn area compared to the rest of the rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
They are both BH rubbers and the rubbers have never been exposed to extreme temperatures as far as I know and no fluids besides my sweat, water, the black one to a little soap, and the red one to olive oil. The rubbers are still just as springy in the worn area compared to the rest of the rubber.

Sorry, one more question. Is that area about where you contact for your BH shots? Or is it not?

Sorry, one more question. Is that area about where you contact for your BH shots? Or is it not?

That is the relative area however the reason I'm surprised is because I have never encountered this before even with other MX-Ps which I also used on my BH

Is it possible your BH has improved and you are getting more impact on the shot?

perhaps but I don't think that much that I'm wearing the rubber out this badly this quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Now that I am looking at it full size on my computer instead of on my phone, it does look like some chemical came in contact with that area on both rubbers. You might check inside but racket cases to make sure there isn't something on the inside surface of the case on one side or the other that might have caused that.

But it is really hard to say what may have caused that. It isn't really normal and it doesn't look like normal wear from playing.

Reactions: NextLevel and vvk1
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Growing area indicates that it melts. Bluefire rubbers are sensitive to some people's sweet, and start to melt where the fingers touch the rubber (my sweet too, that's the main reason I don't buy them despite how incredible cheap they are).
So, I have to agree that some chemical got contact with the rubber, even if you don't remember anything. I have no experience about letting the rubber on a heater or something like that