What To Do If Your Opponent Serves Illegally

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
BTW: since I have a decent idea of Boogar’s level and I read this statement, I know he is not referring to those recreational players who do things like finger serves or throwing the ball into the racket. He is good enough for that not to be a problem. And most of the guys who do stuff like that, there isn’t much deception and the serves are not varied that much.

But with these players, usually, I just give them back their spin and see how they deal with it. Often these players don’t know what to do with their own serves.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Unfortunately he does :p In US ttr he would be at 2200 to 2300 i think. He played in the second highest league in switzerland. He is older now but has the most insane touch.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Lets think about the solution where you don't have to depend on others , he stopping to serve illegal , or you having an umpire.
Is there anyway you can get him to agree to do this on camera ?
Question , does the majority of his serves come short or long ?
Unfortunately he does :p In US ttr he would be at 2200 to 2300 i think. He played in the second highest league in switzerland. He is older now but has the most insane touch.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Lets think about the solution where you don't have to depend on others , he stopping to serve illegal , or you having an umpire.
Is there anyway you can get him to agree to do this on camera ?
Question , does the majority of his serves come short or long ?

I'd say about 50/50... not sure anymore. The hidden serves are the ones that were played 15 years ago, with the arm in front to hide the contact point. I only played him once so far and probably won't for some time as his clubs is pretty far away.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Does this mean he does do finger serves and throw the ball at the racket while serving? Or that he is hiding his serves?

He is good enough that I would find it hard to believe people would let him finger serve or throw at the racket. But, I guess anything is really possible.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My problem is quite reversed. A few folks could not return my serve claimed my serve was illegal and wanted me to serve their way! WTF?

A lefty with a good pendulum is very hard for a righty. That sidespin and the angle you can get are pretty evil. :) I am sure that is part of why they were complaining.

For a while I had the good fortune of letting Mark Croitoroo practice serving lefty to me when his right arm was injured. I think Mark, who was 2300-2400 (possibly higher) before his injury, got to about 1800 lefty. Evil. His serves lefty were much higher level than the rest of what he could do. And he would serve and help me read them and tell me how to return them. But that angle is just really hard to compensate for until you get enough practice against it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'd say about 50/50... not sure anymore. The hidden serves are the ones that were played 15 years ago, with the arm in front to hide the contact point. I only played him once so far and probably won't for some time as his clubs is pretty far away.

The big guy on my club whose looping game people like, he habitually begins his serving motion holding the ball beneath the table.

There is another guy from India I play whose major training period was during the hidden serve era. So even if he is trying to serve legally, his pendulum serves are hidden and his backhand serve is low toss. He went to university in India on a TT scholarship so good luck training those serves out of him.

There is another guy with relatively low toss backhand serves. He has only beaten me once in all the times I have played him but he loops and smashes on both sides and he is a tough customer if you let him get his shots in.

There is a guy on my usual Tuesday league with an amazing forehand. He doesn't know how to toss the ball high enough to serve legally. Fortunately he doesn't know how to loop heavy topspin so I beat him by putting slow heavy topspin on the ball and keeping it short who his powerful forehand puts the ball long repeatedly.

There is a lefty who is a buddy of mine. He doesn't deliberately hide his serve but he often serves and forgets to remove the arm. He complains about other people's serves as well so you get an idea of what I mean when I say that many people have never seriously scrutinized their own serves and few people serve legally. This weekend he received a few complaints and removed the arm and people still had trouble with his serves (they are heavy and lefty and he has a mean no spin serve as well to go with the heavy backspin).

There are probably a few more stories I could tell. I have beaten all these players despite their illegal serves.

I even had a match at Joola teams where one player who was also an ump (certified) was leaving his free arm in the way. I lost that one partly because I couldn't make head or tail of what was going on. But I have resolved to watch the flight of the ball more. When you watch people play or when you play, try to imagine how you think the ball is spinning or call the spin out in your head before returning the serve so your response can be grooved into an automatic stroke. Usually backspin or no backspin is often enough. The main thing is that you can't block no spin.

Many people who played before the year 2000 don't complain about illegal serves that much. Even if they were only beginners. They got ball flight training. They are not happy with enforcement but they just play through their matches and fight to read the ball and take the ball late.

Boogar, I recommend you listen to DerEchte and take all illegal servers as people who are bringing you a gift. Trust me, I am a terrible serve returner relative to my level and I have actually played matches where my knees were better and I would just lob the serve and step back and play goal keeper. You will be surprised what you learn about yourself if you give yourself a chance to try stuff.

Because the 2200 guy is hardly the problem. It is the 1800 guy who is serving illegally and you can't pick up what to do. Then you remember he is 1800 so he can't be so good at it that he beats everyone. That 2200 guy have you a gift of realizing that you are not so bad that you cannot return any serve just because you can't see it. So you focus and look for clues. And if it is a best of 5, your brain will find clues.

I was playinf this very aggressive 1700 guy in a league match. I was the top player and I was above everyone by 300 pts so it was supposed to be an easy day in the Saturday league. Then I am struggling to return this guys serve. And when I pop it up he smashes or loops or so hard I have no clue what to do. I honestly do not know how I played that match. The biggest thing was that I needed to loop the serve but I kept telling myself he was 1700 and he had to miss. By the time I had lost the first game and was down in the second game I realized I had to loop the serve even if I lost. By some miracle I won game 2 11-9. And I started seeing the serve better on game 3 and 4 (Don't ask me how or why - I tell people that your brain just figures it out but you will block it from doing so it you continue to complain as you won't realize it and will play with frustration) and I won the last two games comfortably. I found one serve he didn't like and that helped me too.

By the way, all these matches are on my channel and so are all these players in case you think I am being too dramatic. Even today. I lost to someone who remembered my old serve return issue with the forehand which I have improved a lot and he exposed a new one in part because my shoulder is injured - no spin serve to the middle. Back to the videotape.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
Long long ago in competitive play the only illegal serves were those backhand or forehand serves where a player tossed the ball up one or two inches and then whammo. Then, sometime in the 1980s, no one knows exactly when, the hidden serve using the forearm was developed. When even international class players had difficulty returning these serves, the take your arm away after you toss the ball up was made mandatory.

But, table tennis players being the ingenious souls that they are, came up with other ways to hide or partially hide ball contact on service from a receiver by using their heads, shoulders, torso, hips, or, if a low toss, even their butts. So. What to do? If a tournament match is unumpired in the United States, as is often the case, you're on your own. If it is umpired, and your opponent consistently serves questionably, you are probably still screwed inasmuch as he/she won't call every service violation for fear of annoying those spectators who are kind enough to come and watch in person table tennis competition.

This is one major league dilemma. A few remedies, while not perfect, come to mind.

If you have a good service return or a deadly chiquita flip, ignore the illegality. Problem: a good service return or a good chiquita flip take months, even years to develop.

Fight fire with fire: develop some really nasty and blatantly obvious illegal serves of your own.

Call in the goon squad. Problem: there might not be a goon squad in your area. In Tucson, Arizona, where I live in the American southwest, everyone is friendly, hospitable, pretty much unacquainted with table tennis, and would not recognize an illegal serve if it bit him or her.

My favorite solution, especially useful if you are also a tennis player. The first time an opponent gives you a totally illegal serve which makes you look like a complete dummkopf when it's your chance to serve, dish him up with a tennis table tennis serve to any part of his court. He'll not have a chance in Hell of returning that 100+ mile an hour screamer, and it should be good for a few yocks from the spectator/spectators.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
The big guy on my club whose looping game people like, he habitually begins his serving motion holding the ball beneath the table.

There is another guy from India I play whose major training period was during the hidden serve era. So even if he is trying to serve legally, his pendulum serves are hidden and his backhand serve is low toss. He went to university in India on a TT scholarship so good luck training those serves out of him.

There is another guy with relatively low toss backhand serves. He has only beaten me once in all the times I have played him but he loops and smashes on both sides and he is a tough customer if you let him get his shots in.

There is a guy on my usual Tuesday league with an amazing forehand. He doesn't know how to toss the ball high enough to serve legally. Fortunately he doesn't know how to loop heavy topspin so I beat him by putting slow heavy topspin on the ball and keeping it short who his powerful forehand puts the ball long repeatedly.

There is a lefty who is a buddy of mine. He doesn't deliberately hide his serve but he often serves and forgets to remove the arm. He complains about other people's serves as well so you get an idea of what I mean when I say that many people have never seriously scrutinized their own serves and few people serve legally. This weekend he received a few complaints and removed the arm and people still had trouble with his serves (they are heavy and lefty and he has a mean no spin serve as well to go with the heavy backspin).

There are probably a few more stories I could tell. I have beaten all these players despite their illegal serves.

I even had a match at Joola teams where one player who was also an ump (certified) was leaving his free arm in the way. I lost that one partly because I couldn't make head or tail of what was going on. But I have resolved to watch the flight of the ball more. When you watch people play or when you play, try to imagine how you think the ball is spinning or call the spin out in your head before returning the serve so your response can be grooved into an automatic stroke. Usually backspin or no backspin is often enough. The main thing is that you can't block no spin.

Many people who played before the year 2000 don't complain about illegal serves that much. Even if they were only beginners. They got ball flight training. They are not happy with enforcement but they just play through their matches and fight to read the ball and take the ball late.

Boogar, I recommend you listen to DerEchte and take all illegal servers as people who are bringing you a gift. Trust me, I am a terrible serve returner relative to my level and I have actually played matches where my knees were better and I would just lob the serve and step back and play goal keeper. You will be surprised what you learn about yourself if you give yourself a chance to try stuff.

Because the 2200 guy is hardly the problem. It is the 1800 guy who is serving illegally and you can't pick up what to do. Then you remember he is 1800 so he can't be so good at it that he beats everyone. That 2200 guy have you a gift of realizing that you are not so bad that you cannot return any serve just because you can't see it. So you focus and look for clues. And if it is a best of 5, your brain will find clues.

I was playinf this very aggressive 1700 guy in a league match. I was the top player and I was above everyone by 300 pts so it was supposed to be an easy day in the Saturday league. Then I am struggling to return this guys serve. And when I pop it up he smashes or loops or so hard I have no clue what to do. I honestly do not know how I played that match. The biggest thing was that I needed to loop the serve but I kept telling myself he was 1700 and he had to miss. By the time I had lost the first game and was down in the second game I realized I had to loop the serve even if I lost. By some miracle I won game 2 11-9. And I started seeing the serve better on game 3 and 4 (Don't ask me how or why - I tell people that your brain just figures it out but you will block it from doing so it you continue to complain as you won't realize it and will play with frustration) and I won the last two games comfortably. I found one serve he didn't like and that helped me too.

By the way, all these matches are on my channel and so are all these players in case you think I am being too dramatic. Even today. I lost to someone who remembered my old serve return issue with the forehand which I have improved a lot and he exposed a new one in part because my shoulder is injured - no spin serve to the middle. Back to the videotape.

I think I got a honorary mention in your post. :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think I got a honorary mention in your post. :rolleyes:

Hahahaha - hope I didn't lie. MY toss is not purely veritical as I start from slightly in front and toss back to my right hip but if it is good enough for Ma Long, it is good enough for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Left handed players have problem seeing contact point with RH player doing pendulum serve and the reverse is also true. So I normally stand in the middle of the table to see the racket/ball contact better. Some RH players stubbornly prefer their left corners so it is hard for them to see contact and claim the serve illegal. My contact is close to my body and it bothers the hell out of many RH players. :eek:

This user has no status.
@Boogar, my 50 cents…
Quick tip 1:
When your turn came to serve, do your best to mirror/imitate his serve (with very similar serve motion - the most important issue).
Of course, it will not be the same as his serve but the best thing is that it is not even important…
He will be surprised and offended in the same time, but what is the most important for you, your opponent will react (serve receive) as YOU SHOULD, (which is the answer you are looking for) so be aware and REMEMBER it!!!
What is more, as your mirror serve is only “looking like” as the “owners serve” (and he does not know that yet), it will most probably be an easy point for you (wrong receive, not the same serve), so with some small variations you can even abuse “his serve” against him.
However, do not be distracted with an easy point and MISS, THE CORRECT serve receiving (played/answered by your “evil” opponent).
Above mentioned is not applicable if righty plays against lefty or vice versa or at least it would be quite challenging… 

Quick tip 2:
Look on web for some games when your opponent plays with somebody who doesn’t have any problem with his serve/serves and copy/paste it into your game - if taped, but if not stay nearby (after finishing your match) and watch the next match of your opponent (if on tournament), in order to copy/paste a possible successful serve receive.

Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
@Boogar, my 50 cents…
Quick tip 1:
When your turn came to serve, do your best to mirror/imitate his serve (with very similar serve motion - the most important issue).
Of course, it will not be the same as his serve but the best thing is that it is not even important…
He will be surprised and offended in the same time, but what is the most important for you, your opponent will react (serve receive) as YOU SHOULD, (which is the answer you are looking for) so be aware and REMEMBER it!!!
What is more, as your mirror serve is only “looking like” as the “owners serve” (and he does not know that yet), it will most probably be an easy point for you (wrong receive, not the same serve), so with some small variations you can even abuse “his serve” against him.
However, do not be distracted with an easy point and MISS, THE CORRECT serve receiving (played/answered by your “evil” opponent).
Above mentioned is not applicable if righty plays against lefty or vice versa or at least it would be quite challenging… 

Quick tip 2:
Look on web for some games when your opponent plays with somebody who doesn’t have any problem with his serve/serves and copy/paste it into your game - if taped, but if not stay nearby (after finishing your match) and watch the next match of your opponent (if on tournament), in order to copy/paste a possible successful serve receive.

I never thought about tip number 1 :D I do that sometimes in matches, but just to confuse them. Next time i gotta watch how they receive it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I think it's a great discussion! Just a couple of days ago we had exactly the same issue. I think Carl's tip is exactly the way to go if one of the cases (with or without an umpire) comes up.

Sometimes you need to win with what you have and defeat your opponent even when he is using an unfair advantage.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
One thing you could do is do it to mess the person up. Use that as a head game thing. You keep your head in the the game. You keep focused on trying to read and return the serve as well as you can. But, every so often, in the middle of the toss, as he is about to contact the ball, you raise your hand, like for a let. While you do it you step back and away from the table but in line with being able to see as much of the serve as possible. And then you walk back to the table and say: "That serve is illegal." And you say what he did that was illegal.

Now the key issue here is, you don't do it to get the guy to serve legally. No matter how you try, no matter how nice you are about it, some people are not going to change because you ask them. Some people can't change. It really could be a habit that is part of how they serve. And they would have to work on the serve to make it legal. So you are saying it, and doing it in a disruptive way, to mess with the person's head. Because, if they are serving illegally, and you are focusing on it and not focusing on their serve in the manner you should be, they have already gotten into your head.

So, in the middle of their serve motion, as you see it is illegal, you step back and raise your arm. You keep watching to see as much about the serve as you can (what spin, how much, placement). And then you say the serve was illegal in a way that will piss the guy off and then you tell him exactly what was illegal.

Then you go back to continuing to try and read the serve as though nothing had happened. Hopefully you got inside his head. But you have to focus on receiving the serve. It is not any different than if you could see the contact but the server's deception was good. You still need to watch the bounce and trajectory of the ball to make sure the deception didn't fool you.

In the same spirit, I just think of 2 behaviours against no toss serves, that may have an effect (mess with the person's head, get empire attention).

1/
Do not try to return serve, then kindly ask the Empire "I was not ready for a no toss serve, do I have to be ready for that ?".
That's kinda playing dumb, but it may raise some questions in empire / opponent's mind ...

ITTF rule 2.9.1.2:
The rally shall be a let (...) - if the service is delivered when the receiving player or pair is not ready,provided that neither the receiver nor his or her partner attempts to strikethe ball;

2/
Look at how JM Saive is waiting for Waldner serves in this old video (from 00:10). He's far from the table then coming closer during the ball toss. (Waldner's serves are fine, and I don't know the reason for Saive to do that)
If your opponent do a no toss serve, you won't have time to move to receive it, so that the no toss serve problem will become very apparent to anyone watching. You opponent may fear to be seen as a cheater...