Joola Rhyzer 48 and 42 degrees

This user has no status.
I've ordered Rhyzer 48 on a Tibhar Samsonov Stratus Carbon... What do you guys think?

I will let you guys know what its like once I've worn it in a bit :)

I've played with this combination now a couple times, and I have to say so far, I really like it.

Rhyzer 48 has tremendous power when you put your arm through it, but the Stratus Carbon is just about slow enough compared to other carbon blades to keep the whole setup feeling exceptionally controlled. I've managed to generate more spin with Rhyzer 48 than I felt I could with Rhyzm-P, but perhaps that is mostly down to my Rhyzers being brand new ;)

The sweet spot on the Stratus carbon is definitely smaller than other carbon blades, but still perfectly fine for most players and it feels/sounds great when you find it!

:)

This user has no status.
I’m looking to replace my worn out sheets of Rhyzm-P and I’m wondering how Rhyzer 43 compares.

It definitely sounds like Rhyzer 43 is faster and more catapulty. Does it produce more spin too?

I would be gluing it onto a Stiga Infinity VPS. Too fast? Decent control for looping?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I decided to add my review of Rhyzer 48.

I spent 6-7 months using Rhyzer 48 as my forehand rubber. (3 months on a Stiga Infinity VPS and then 4 months on a JOOLA Nobilis PBO-c). My rating is usually around 1500 - 1600 USATT, I train once a week with a coach and compete in a league once a week also.

Initial Impressions

The first thing that stands out about Rhyzer 48 is the speed. It's really quite fast, Tenergy 64 and Evolution MX-P feel slow in comparison. The good news is that its relatively easy to create enough topspin to consistently keep the ball on the table. As long as you have proper body rotation and weight transfer all you need to do is hit deep into the sponge and the ball will come out with a lot of spin. When I let friends hit with my paddle, I've noticed that the people with mediocre body rotation tend to hit the ball long. (Those people usually flip my paddle around to the side with Rhyzer 43, and have much more success with the softer sponge). The throw angle trajectory of Rhyzer 48 is medium to medium high.

The topsheet for Rhyzer 48 (and 43) is thin, soft, and features narrow pimples. The result is that the ball easily penetrates through the rubber and into the sponge. The result is that rubber and sponge engage easily and fling the ball out with lots of spin. The soft topsheet seems to easily surround and grip the ball. It doesn't take much effort to create spin. All one needs to do is hit directly into the sponge when driving/looping. Brush loopers who are used to tacky Chinese rubber (Hurricane 3) will hate using Rhyzer. Brush loopers would be better suited to trying out "Rhyzer Pro (50 or 45)" which features a harder topsheet with thicker pimples and tiny bit more tack. [Or jut get Golden Tango]

Driving / Looping
Rhyzer 48 is hands down my favorite rubber for looping backspin balls. It's almost effortless to loop backspin balls with spin, power, and consistency. One of my friends decided to switch to Rhyzer after seeing how effective my backspin loops had become. Something about the soft topsheet and thick sponge just helps to lift the ball with consistent spin and power. I don't use 48 on backhand, so i can't comment on back hand looping. Personally i have more trouble controlling 48 on backhand compared to 43.

During topspin rallies the rubber does a lot of the work for you. It works really well when hitting at 70-80% power. On the hardest/fastest shots it's less stable then a hard rubber like Rhyzer Pro 50. Also Rhyzer 48 is not that linear compared to harder rubbers.

From mid to long distance this rubber is amazing. You can power loop from distance easily. It's really a lot of fun.

Touch Play

The tradeoff with the soft topsheet is that it's very bouncy even during soft touches. I didn't have any problems with serves, but short pushes were a major problem for me. I can't tell you how many times someone would serve short backspin to my forehand and then I'd try to push it back short, only to instead pop the ball too high or too far and watch my opponent get the first opening attack. Some of this was due to the fact that I don't train touch play enough. I began practicing touch play with my coach more often and my forehand pushes became more manageable. Also, when i switched from the Stiga Infinity blade to the JOOLA Nobilis, the soft hinoki outerplies of the of the Nobilis seem to help a lot with keeping my pushes short and low. Even though the Nobilis is a much faster blade than the Infinity, the soft outerplies help to mitigate the bounciness of the rubber during touch play. (The infinity has a harder touch than most Limba outer blades because of special wood treatment ["Diamond Touch" and "VPS"]. The bottom line is that if you are going to use Rhyzer 48 then you need either good touch play skills or a soft outer ply blade. (Rhyzer Pro 50 is less bouncy during touch play. But of course there is a whole different set of tradeoffs with R50)

Blocking

Blocking seemed decent to me. It blocks fast which can be good or bad depending on your style and the type of ball you are dealing with. Blocking trajectory is medium.

Flicking

I don't really forehand flick that much. Unfortunately I'm not qualified to give a review on that. I haven't tried backhand flicking with 48 either.

Chopping

Don't even bother

Durability

Average. A little better than MX-P and Rhyzm-P.

Conclusion

For a player of my skill level it pairs well with an OFF rated or slower blade. At my skill level I would not use an OFF+ rated blade (and it really doesn't need the extra speed). I haven't tried it with a blade that has the carbon fiber positioned towards the outer plies (Viscaria, TB ALC, JOOLA Energon, etc...), but I assume that it might be more difficult to control during touch play and maybe even looping. I can at least tell you that I was happy with Rhyzer 48 on inner carbon blades and all wood blades.

Overall I liked this rubber and even bought it again. However my coach thinks that I should now use a harder rubber on forehand and recommended Rhyzer Pro 50 which I have been using for two weeks. 50 is more linear, less bouncy during touch play, and really rewards me when I hit the ball perfectly. The tradeoff with 50 is that it really punishes me with crappy spin when I don't hit the ball perfectly. So, consider that when you choose your rubber. (I haven't tried the new Rhyzer Pro 45 yet)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I seriously don't like this generation of "RhyXXX" rubbers from Joola ehich demands sponge engagement. Maybe I'm too used to easy spin offered by tenergy and tacky Chinese rubbers, but the Rhyzer really falls short of those when it comes to short games and slow opening loops. Under my techniques I got even less spin than original Rhyzm when doing these types of shots.

It seems to be blade dependent as well. Take Rhyzer 48 for example, when paired to my stiff yet very fast Yasaka Reinforce HC blade, the rubber has a strong tendency of offering very low/long throw of shots that are really hard to have the sponge to get engaged before the ball already shoots out to opponents stomach. This also makes spin generation really difficult. Pairing it on my friend's Viscaria and it's instantly way better, but still fall short of spin levels of Hurricane/Sanwei Target/Haifu etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sedis
This user has no status.
I seriously don't like this generation of "RhyXXX" rubbers from Joola ehich demands sponge engagement. Maybe I'm too used to easy spin offered by tenergy and tacky Chinese rubbers, but the Rhyzer really falls short of those when it comes to short games and slow opening loops. Under my techniques I got even less spin than original Rhyzm when doing these types of shots.

It seems to be blade dependent as well. Take Rhyzer 48 for example, when compared to my stiff yet very fast Yasaka Reinforce HC blade, the rubber has a strong tendency of offering very low/long throw of shots that are really hard to have the sponge to get engaged before the ball already shoots out to opponents stomach. This also makes spin generation really difficult. Pairing it on my friend's Viscaria and it's instantly way better, but still fall short of spin levels of Hurricane/Sanwei Target/Haifu etc.

For me, Rhyzer is very easy to create spin and slow loop with. Just a little bit of forward motion engages the rubber/sponge and creates spin. It's just not designed for brush loopers. Rhyzer Pro is a little better for that, and obviously Golden Tango is even better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I like rhyzer 48 on my BH. soft topsheet makes it easy to accelerate the ball and open up the rally, despite not being a soft rubber. the high throw is also nice. Overall it's almost as good as mercury 2 medium boosted.

This user has no status.
It seems to be blade dependent as well. Take Rhyzer 48 for example, when paired to my stiff yet very fast Yasaka Reinforce HC blade, the rubber has a strong tendency of offering very low/long throw of shots that are really hard to have the sponge to get engaged before the ball already shoots out to opponents stomach. This also makes spin generation really difficult. Pairing it on my friend's Viscaria and it's instantly way better, but still fall short of spin levels of Hurricane/Sanwei Target/Haifu etc.

Gotten myself a new piece Rhyzer 50 Pro as the 48 is too worn out at this point. The 50 is just so much better. I finally have the option to execute spinny brush loops sometimes thanks to stiffer sponge and larger pimples, instead of keep having to hit through sponge/topsheet just to obtain any kinds of proper control/spin. Still goes super fast but now being able to topspin much harder with same forward movement makes dipping ball back to table easier.

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Gotten myself a new piece Rhyzer 50 Pro as the 48 is too worn out at this point. The 50 is just so much better. I finally have the option to execute spinny brush loops sometimes thanks to stiffer sponge and larger pimples, instead of keep having to hit through sponge/topsheet just to obtain any kinds of proper control/spin. Still goes super fast but now being able to topspin much harder with same forward movement makes dipping ball back to table easier.

This confirms my review that people who like to brush loop will hate Rhyzer 48 and would be better off with Pro 50.

That said... I’m a hit through the sponge guy and had a lot of success with 48. But I’m trying Pro 50 now because my coach recommended it for me. Also I’m very curious about the new Pro 45 version. Maybe the same behavior as Pro 50, but more forgiving?

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says Thank you for the great info! I really appreciate it!!!
says Thank you for the great info! I really appreciate it!!!
Jul 2019
New set up

I decided to add my review of Rhyzer 48.

I spent 6-7 months using Rhyzer 48 as my forehand rubber. (3 months on a Stiga Infinity VPS and then 4 months on a JOOLA Nobilis PBO-c). My rating is usually around 1500 - 1600 USATT, I train once a week with a coach and compete in a league once a week also.

Initial Impressions

The first thing that stands out about Rhyzer 48 is the speed. It's really quite fast, Tenergy 64 and Evolution MX-P feel slow in comparison. The good news is that its relatively easy to create enough topspin to consistently keep the ball on the table. As long as you have proper body rotation and weight transfer all you need to do is hit deep into the sponge and the ball will come out with a lot of spin. When I let friends hit with my paddle, I've noticed that the people with mediocre body rotation tend to hit the ball long. (Those people usually flip my paddle around to the side with Rhyzer 43, and have much more success with the softer sponge). The throw angle trajectory of Rhyzer 48 is medium to medium high.

The topsheet for Rhyzer 48 (and 43) is thin, soft, and features narrow pimples. The result is that the ball easily penetrates through the rubber and into the sponge. The result is that rubber and sponge engage easily and fling the ball out with lots of spin. The soft topsheet seems to easily surround and grip the ball. It doesn't take much effort to create spin. All one needs to do is hit directly into the sponge when driving/looping. Brush loopers who are used to tacky Chinese rubber (Hurricane 3) will hate using Rhyzer. Brush loopers would be better suited to trying out "Rhyzer Pro (50 or 45)" which features a harder topsheet with thicker pimples and tiny bit more tack. [Or jut get Golden Tango]

Driving / Looping
Rhyzer 48 is hands down my favorite rubber for looping backspin balls. It's almost effortless to loop backspin balls with spin, power, and consistency. One of my friends decided to switch to Rhyzer after seeing how effective my backspin loops had become. Something about the soft topsheet and thick sponge just helps to lift the ball with consistent spin and power. I don't use 48 on backhand, so i can't comment on back hand looping. Personally i have more trouble controlling 48 on backhand compared to 43.

During topspin rallies the rubber does a lot of the work for you. It works really well when hitting at 70-80% power. On the hardest/fastest shots it's less stable then a hard rubber like Rhyzer Pro 50. Also Rhyzer 48 is not that linear compared to harder rubbers.

From mid to long distance this rubber is amazing. You can power loop from distance easily. It's really a lot of fun.

Touch Play

The tradeoff with the soft topsheet is that it's very bouncy even during soft touches. I didn't have any problems with serves, but short pushes were a major problem for me. I can't tell you how many times someone would serve short backspin to my forehand and then I'd try to push it back short, only to instead pop the ball too high or too far and watch my opponent get the first opening attack. Some of this was due to the fact that I don't train touch play enough. I began practicing touch play with my coach more often and my forehand pushes became more manageable. Also, when i switched from the Stiga Infinity blade to the JOOLA Nobilis, the soft hinoki outerplies of the of the Nobilis seem to help a lot with keeping my pushes short and low. Even though the Nobilis is a much faster blade than the Infinity, the soft outerplies help to mitigate the bounciness of the rubber during touch play. (The infinity has a harder touch than most Limba outer blades because of special wood treatment ["Diamond Touch" and "VPS"]. The bottom line is that if you are going to use Rhyzer 48 then you need either good touch play skills or a soft outer ply blade. (Rhyzer Pro 50 is less bouncy during touch play. But of course there is a whole different set of tradeoffs with R50)

Blocking

Blocking seemed decent to me. It blocks fast which can be good or bad depending on your style and the type of ball you are dealing with. Blocking trajectory is medium.

Flicking

I don't really forehand flick that much. Unfortunately I'm not qualified to give a review on that. I haven't tried backhand flicking with 48 either.

Chopping

Don't even bother

Durability

Average. A little better than MX-P and Rhyzm-P.

Conclusion

For a player of my skill level it pairs well with an OFF rated or slower blade. At my skill level I would not use an OFF+ rated blade (and it really doesn't need the extra speed). I haven't tried it with a blade that has the carbon fiber positioned towards the outer plies (Viscaria, TB ALC, JOOLA Energon, etc...), but I assume that it might be more difficult to control during touch play and maybe even looping. I can at least tell you that I was happy with Rhyzer 48 on inner carbon blades and all wood blades.

Overall I liked this rubber and even bought it again. However my coach thinks that I should now use a harder rubber on forehand and recommended Rhyzer Pro 50 which I have been using for two weeks. 50 is more linear, less bouncy during touch play, and really rewards me when I hit the ball perfectly. The tradeoff with 50 is that it really punishes me with crappy spin when I don't hit the ball perfectly. So, consider that when you choose your rubber. (I haven't tried the new Rhyzer Pro 45 yet)

Thank you for your review! Could you answer severl questions please?
Did you try Pro 45 yet? If yes how is it?
Do you like Pro series better now? With what rubber is it easier to generate spin, 48(43) or Pro? Which easier to control?
What is your set up now for forehand and backhand?

This user has no status.
Thank you for your review! Could you answer severl questions please?
Did you try Pro 45 yet? If yes how is it?
Do you like Pro series better now? With what rubber is it easier to generate spin, 48(43) or Pro? Which easier to control?
What is your set up now for forehand and backhand?

I still haven't tried Rhyzer Pro 45 yet. It hasnt been on sale yet. Looking forward to eventually trying it.

Rhyzer 43 is the easiest to use out of the 4 rubbers. Easiest to create spin and easiest to control, but still quite fast. It also has a very high throw angle, which might be good or bad (But probably good for less advanced players).

I'm currently using Pro 50 on forehand and 43 on backhand with the Nobilis blade. Pro 50 is not as easy to use and took some time to get used to, but I like it a lot right now (as a forehand rubber). It's less bouncy on soft touch shots so I can keep my pushes short and low. I had to add a little more brushing motion to my looping technique compared to 43/48 where I would just hit hard through the sponge to spin the ball. Pro 50 has a low throw angle which is more risky but also makes my shots harder to block.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Read 1 reviews
I'm currently using Pro 50 on forehand and 43 on backhand with the Nobilis blade. Pro 50 is not as easy to use and took some time to get used to, but I like it a lot right now (as a forehand rubber). It's less bouncy on soft touch shots so I can keep my pushes short and low. I had to add a little more brushing motion to my looping technique compared to 43/48 where I would just hit hard through the sponge to spin the ball. Pro 50 has a low throw angle which is more risky but also makes my shots harder to block.

BryanY: IMHO, ignore coaches. Let me guess: the club they are in has a Joola sponsorship, right?

Rhyzer 48 is too bouncy (and soft) for the chinese coaches to recommend. Rhyzer 50 is hard enough (scalable to when one becomes 2500). However, IMHO, it is only right rubber for someone > 1900 IF you have proper technique (or, if you're a kid and training almost daily, > 1800). You need something not too soft (perhaps 46-47 deg), not too bouncy, not low throw and easy to generate spin with. Using 50 deg rubber shall adversely affect your recovery time. For you, even Nittaku Fastarc G1 would be great (especially as you mentioned you like to spin more with sponge than with topsheet).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
I cant agree with Cornerer. IMO opinion is rhyzer 48 very good form brushing, one the best and easiest rubber for spining to backspin. Its also very good for counters. Its quite slow on first spinny topspin and very fast on countering, dream rubber:). I think, it depends of blade. It plays very well with all wood blade, f.e. donic persson powerplay and zylon blade.

This confirms my review that people who like to brush loop will hate Rhyzer 48 and would be better off with Pro 50.

That said... I’m a hit through the sponge guy and had a lot of success with 48. But I’m trying Pro 50 now because my coach recommended it for me. Also I’m very curious about the new Pro 45 version. Maybe the same behavior as Pro 50, but more forgiving?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
I really like 2.0 Rhyzer 48 on my freitas alc. Propably the best bh rubber from esn.
On fh i play fastarc c1 because low throw And softness give me a lot of time