Shocking Interview with a Table Tennis Fan on World Ranking Reform

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
The spanish speaking Guy is absolutely right, Ding Ning dropped to 21st place ... laughable ... : )
Ok there were like 5 different threads about it - it should adjust I know.

Now when I think about it, what Ittf could do is to have at the moment of switching to the new system, have only 6 best tournaments to be taken into account. Then in the middle of the year or so, move to 8 best tournaments. This would give more time i.e. for ML or Ding to play more tours, and a funny situation would have been avoided ...

[EDIT] But on the other hand ML and DN knew there's going to be a change this year and still played only so few tours .....

Ech ... funny, funny ... ; )

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The spanish speaking Guy is absolutely right, Ding Ning dropped to 21st place ... laughable ... : )

Now when I think about it, what Ittf could do is to have at the moment of switching to the new system, have only 6 best tournaments to be taken into account. Then in the middle of the year or so, move to 8 best tournaments. This would give more time i.e. for ML or Ding to play more tours, and a funny situation would have been avoided ...

[EDIT] But on the other hand ML and DN knew there's going to be a change this year and still played only so few tours .....

Some of the reason those guys played so few tournaments is that the government banned them from playing for protesting Liu Gouliang's dismissal. So, some of this was out of the hands of the players. It is kind of unfair to blame the players or the ranking system for what the government did.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
When ITTF first announced the new ranking system, OG singles champion and team champion gave ML and DN some 2900 points in the 2nd year after OG (75%) but ITTF changed the rule suddenly in late Oct that OG points are valid for only 1 year.

ML and DN are the most senior players in CNT now and they need some time to recover after winning two big events (WTTC and National Games) in 2017. If ITTF did not change the rule again in Oct, with those OG points and WITHOUT attending more tour events, ML would be #2 and DN #7 this month, which sounds better than 7th and 21st, isn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
It is kind of unfair to blame the players or the ranking system for what the government did.

You sure it was the case?

If ITTF did not change the rule again in Oct, with those OG points and WITHOUT attending more tour events, ML would be #2 and DN #7 this month, which sounds better than 7th and 21th, isn't it?

Yes it does. Really, they changed the rule like 2 months before the new system came into force? Would be another good sentence for the Spanish speaking guy ... ; )

says hi! my friend. I'm James, very passionate Sports and...
says hi! my friend. I'm James, very passionate Sports and...
Jan 2018
hi, I was impressed with that laugh....

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Thanks for the likes, folks! Keep'em coming!

Since the outside temperature has been below freezing the past week, I thought why not make a parody video to lighten the mood?

It took me roughly 2 days to come up with a draft of the script, then I spent a day or so editing it to match the gesture of Risitas, which to my amazement ended up really well. It took another day to time the sub, encode it, and upload on youtube.

Extra care has been taken to ensure the parody is true to fact.

The reference to "merit-based" ranking came from the World Ranking Description(1. Definitions, 1.1).

The reference to takkyuu geinin(table tennis entertainer) came from his parodies.

"Starting from the qualification round" refers to the fact that only the top 16 seeded players advance to main draw by default.

"No more separation" came from 2018 ITTF World Tour Sport Specific Information(2.4 Draws),

a. Main Draw
• Seeding is done with the latest World Ranking of the date of the entry deadline, and the draw for seeded players with NO separation by association.
• Conducted according to the ITTF rules for that purpose but WITHOUT ANY separation per association.

b. Qualifications Draw
• Is conducted according to the ITTF rules for that purpose but WITHOUT ANY separation per association.

Whereas in the 2017 version(2.3 Draws),

a. Main Draw
• Seeding is done with the latest World Ranking of the date of the entry deadline, and the draw for seeded players with NO separation by association.
• Conducted according to the ITTF rules for that purpose but WITHOUT separation per association, except the first round of the main draw when qualifiers are drawn into the main draw, players/pairs from the same association CANNOT meet in the first round. In that case, they will be re-drawn.

b. Qualifications Draw
• players from the same association CANNOT be drawn into the same group; they should be placed into the next available group.
• Players from the same association CANNOT meet in the first round of the qualification with knock-out system; they should be placed in the next available position.

Last but not least, all credits go to the ITTF for all the great ideas that made this possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
At one point he said the "overrated wong chun ting", well I rarely (if ever) seen this guy winning against any known world-class player and I asked my self why this guy is on the top 10 list ..

He has wins over the likes of Xu Xin, Jun Mizutani, Chang Chi Yuan, Timo Boll and Vladimir Samsonov. He does have many bad losses and plays a lot, so there is a case to be made that he is often not as strong as his ranking would suggest. There is a internet forummer who particularly dislikes Hong Kong players and bashes Wong Chun Ting especially at will and says he is "overrated" at every opportunity. This is who zeio was referencing when making the joke. But to be fair, WCT's inconsistency is frustrating for a fan.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You sure it was the case?

Can someone post what the penalty was for players who protested and particularly the players who no showed their matches in the China Open ?

BTW: stats. ML attended 5 ITTF before China Open. China Open = event # 6. And the only ITTF event he attended after China Open was World Cup.

You can draw whatever conclusions you want. But since the dismissal of LGL, the CNT players have not attended too many events.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Can someone post what the penalty was for players who protested and particularly the players who no showed their matches in the China Open ?

BTW: stats. ML attended 5 ITTF before China Open. China Open = event # 6. And the only ITTF event he attended after China Open was World Cup.

You can draw whatever conclusions you want. But since the dismissal of LGL, the CNT players have not attended too many events.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Don't think the penalty had a major impact as Xu Xin and FZD met the tour numbers comfortably. It was more a combination of internal China events (The national games) and a desire to rest from a successful year given the WTTC and national games successful title defenses and nagging injuries.

In any case, we all know that if he had even one more result on his rating record, he would be higher. Not even a good result, just on result. He is probably the only person in the top 10 or 20 with 7 events. Maybe Mizutani as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Nice thing to say about the Ittf's ranking page is that it's very clickable. Shows players 8 last results, some more details - good.

The difference between Dima and FZD is basically the China Open. Dima won it, while FZD just participated. Actually ML had points for China Open too ...

Interesting thing is that "2017 - ITTF Asian Championships, Wuxi (CHN)" was taken into account, just like "2017 - ITTF Europe Cup, Antibes (FRA)" ... hm I wonder which event is harder to win ... ? ; )

For now ML will have to be very present, since he was not participating in the second half of the year too much - right? It will be interesting to watch.

Anyway - at the moment - funny stuff. Thanks Zeio, great entertainment! ; )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I wonder why some people couldn't realize the fact that ITTF changed the rule of OG points suddenly on Oct 20, 2017. At that time, the deadline for German Open (10/8/2017) and Swedish Open (10/14/2017) entries had passed.
I once posted a photo of GAS-TT/Badminton center's original notice showing that CNT planned to send ML but not DN for German Open and/or Swedish Open. At that time DN was still on World Cup list and ML was under ITTF disciplinary investigation. Then CTTA withdrew DN from World Cup due to injury (10/4/2017) and put her on Swedish Open list (10/12/2017). ML was on World Cup list but not on CTTA's German Open list (10/4/2017) and Swedish Open list. Later we learnt that he went to Germany for therapy after World Cup. But again without knowing that OG points would be invalid in early Oct, ML and DN's attendance of 1 international tournament in the second half of 2017 would keep them high enough ranking under new system Version 1.0.

I agree that LGL's dismissal and China Open boycott had very bad influence on CNT men's team. Besides all kinds of possible punishments on players, in terms of coaching experience, if LGL or Qin Zhijian coached ML in World Cup, the result might be different. But LGL's dismissal and boycott really had little impact on CNT women's team and DN's performance. DN's low attendance in the second half of 2017 cannot be a consequence of LGL and boycott.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Jun Mizutani is #13 this month. He has 8 results, the lowest being 240 points, SF of Swiss Open. If OG points were valid, he would have some 2000 points to replace Swiss Open and be ranked higher than WCT.

I understand that ITTF wants to promote their own events like World Tour and give more weights on those events in terms of ranking points. But still it is stupid to change the rule so late in the year after the deadline of two last tour events.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Jun Mizutani is #13 this month. He has 8 results, the lowest being 240 points, SF of Swiss Open. If OG points were valid, he would have some 2000 points to replace Swiss Open and be ranked higher than WCT.

I understand that ITTF wants to promote their own events like World Tour and give more weights on those events in terms of ranking points. But still it is stupid to change the rule so late in the year after the deadline of two last tour events.

Thats another reason why it is unfair for the players
ITTF doesn't really have a proper plan of changing rules
Its seems like they are a 1 man show and don't action like any "big entity"

They should of announce all changes way in advance.
I have no idea how 2 month notice is anyway close to legit.
Imagine there is OG seeding based on Jan 2018 world ranking list - I'm sure people will investigate corruption for such sudden update.

Also, did you get an response on how world top 100/200 junior is now world rank 1000?
These are professional juniors who play TT now for a living and with junior ranking points removed from participation in 2017, they are ranked world 1000 or so in senior level (where they true level are 100 or 200)