Shocking Interview with a Table Tennis Fan on World Ranking Reform

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
He has wins over the likes of Xu Xin, Jun Mizutani, Chang Chi Yuan, Timo Boll and Vladimir Samsonov. He does have many bad losses and plays a lot, so there is a case to be made that he is often not as strong as his ranking would suggest. There is a internet forummer who particularly dislikes Hong Kong players and bashes Wong Chun Ting especially at will and says he is "overrated" at every opportunity. This is who zeio was referencing when making the joke. But to be fair, WCT's inconsistency is frustrating for a fan.
That's an aspect that has been bothering WCT and Liu Guodong acknowledged in an interview in 2016, when WCT cracked the top 10 for the 1st time.

LGD stressed that WCT needed to improve his consistency if he was to stay in the top 10. The next goal was to surpass the likes of Ovtcharov, Boll, Mizutani. Consistency is still an issue, but he has improved somewhat when up against Boll and Ovtcharov in 2017. He used to have trouble taking a game off of them before, but in the last encounter with those two he could manage 2 games. That's some progress, seeing Boll and Ovtcharov had such a fantastic year.

After beating Samsonov for the 1st time in what was only their only 2nd encounter, he posted on his facebook, writing "As long as one puts in the work, he will be rewarded. Heaven is fair to all." You could see it meant a lot to him.

Jan 2018
As for the ITTF making a last-minute change without any advance notice, in the minutes of EC meeting(which I copied before they were taken down) when the new WR system was approved, it is stated potential adjustments were to be expected, and that the Executive Committee reserves the right for adjustments.

Among the members of the Executive Committee at the time were Shi Zhihao of China and Masahiro Maehara of Japan, so theoretically they should have been the first ones to know in advance.

Also, I could be wrong, but it appears there is an official channel that's off limits to the public between the ITTF and continental federations as well as the regional associations by which they are kept in the loop.

In the end, it's us the fans that are left out in the cold. They could have done a better job keeping us posted. I mean, did they really expect people to delve deep into the Museum site to look up those minutes?

Last edited:
Reactions: JST and thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
As for the ITTF making a last-minute change without any advance notice, in the minutes of EC meeting(which I copied before they were taken down) when the new WR system was approved, it is stated potential adjustments were to be expected, and that the Executive Committee reserves the right for adjustments.

Among the members of the Executive Committee at the time were Shi Zhihao of China and Masahiro Maehara of Japan, so theoretically they should have been the first ones to know in advance.

Also, I could be wrong, but it appears there is an official channel that's off limits to the public between the ITTF and continental federations as well as the regional associations by which they are kept in the loop.

In the end, it's us the fans that are left out in the cold. They could have done a better job keeping us posted. I mean, did they really expect people to delve deep into the Museum site to look up those minutes?

Good to see you posting here. Hope you stay regular.

Jan 2018
Hmm, my time at the table will be further deprived.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl