Serving tactics following let serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I am curious what folks' thoughts are about serving after you have served a let serve. For your next serve, do you try the same serve that was a let, or do you opt for a different serve? I often use a sequence of serves to try to set up my opponent, and serving a let presents a dilemma, as the opponent has "seen" the serve I was attempting. So do I try it again, or try something different?

Probably too many mind games, but I am curious what others think.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is something you use judgment to decide and act. Don't over think it, let it happen in flow soon.

If you know that serve was gunna trouble opponent or give you predictable/controllable return, do it again. If there is a chance that won't happen, quickly move on to another serve that will do that. Whatever, don't over think it. Trust your judgment and be loose/ready.

Reactions: gmiller2233
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think 1 same serve can have many outcome
1) amount of spin
2) placement of ball on your side
3) placement of ball on your opponents side
4) weight on the ball (power)

not to mention you can trick it by no spin, or opposite (top spin when it is an underspin action)
so with the above variety, you shouldn't be in any dilemma

some times doing the same serve works great

at the end, it is a guessing game non stop - TT IQ, you need to act and react based on what happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I won't use exactly the same serve unless the opponent is having trouble with it. Can be the same serve with different placement or different amount of spin or both.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I sometimes see if my opponent checked the ball out to inspect the serve spin after the let. If he did, I tend to do the same serve but with no spin if the let serve was spinny or with spin if the let serve wasn't. But like others have said, don't change a winning formula, if the serve is going to mess them up, just do it.

Reactions: gmiller2233