Tutorial: How To Best Clean Tacky Rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I've been losing tackiness in my 2 week old tg3 neo, and I almost panicked thinking I lost the very purpose of why I bought it... for its tackiness!!

I followed the instructions to clean with water after playing, and cover with plastic. Unfortunately, this did not fully solve the issue. I did a lot of searching, and ran into suggestions on using cleaning solutions, lemon juice, etc.... but I was a bit averse to that, so I tried the thin layer of water approach.

After rubbing dirt off with water, I leave the water on the rubber, and cover the sheet slowly over the rubber, going from bottom to top, as if you are gluing rubber. This prevents air gaps in the sheet and a contiguous layer of water.

When you are ready to play, just wipe the water off, and wave to dry. The tackiness comes back as if it were new! I was pretty happy, because without the tack, you need deeper contact with the rubber/sponge to get the type of grip to make spinny loops, or to loop backspin. With the tack, it's so much easier and spinnier too

Just wanted to share it here. Bye now!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I've been losing tackiness in my 2 week old tg3 neo, and I almost panicked thinking I lost the very purpose of why I bought it... for its tackiness!!

I followed the instructions to clean with water after playing, and cover with plastic. Unfortunately, this did not fully solve the issue. I did a lot of searching, and ran into suggestions on using cleaning solutions, lemon juice, etc.... but I was a bit averse to that, so I tried the thin layer of water approach.

After rubbing dirt off with water, I leave the water on the rubber, and cover the sheet slowly over the rubber, going from bottom to top, as if you are gluing rubber. This prevents air gaps in the sheet and a contiguous layer of water.

When you are ready to play, just wipe the water off, and wave to dry. The tackiness comes back as if it were new! I was pretty happy, because without the tack, you need deeper contact with the rubber/sponge to get the type of grip to make spinny loops, or to loop backspin. With the tack, it's so much easier and spinnier too

Just wanted to share it here. Bye now!!

That's interesting. First time I am hearing about putting the protective sheet on the wet rubber, then before the match removing it and waving the racket till the rubbers are dry. Out of curiosity, I'll give it a try :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
That's interesting. First time I am hearing about putting the protective sheet on the wet rubber, then before the match removing it and waving the racket till the rubbers are dry. Out of curiosity, I'll give it a try :)

I've been using this method every day since. It's tackier now than when I first removed the plastic sheet when new. I'm afraid perhaps I am shortening the lifespan of the rubber (I have no proof it does though...), but if I had to choose between this and having only half the tackiness for a longer duration, I'd much rather have this and get another sheet sooner.

I'm wondering if YMMV depending on the water. I live in California, and use water from the faucet. If it makes any difference :p

Reactions: dominus7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I've been using this method every day since. It's tackier now than when I first removed the plastic sheet when new. I'm afraid perhaps I am shortening the lifespan of the rubber (I have no proof it does though...), but if I had to choose between this and having only half the tackiness for a longer duration, I'd much rather have this and get another sheet sooner.

I'm wondering if YMMV depending on the water. I live in California, and use water from the faucet. If it makes any difference :p
I've a H3N and didn't know how to prolong the lifetime tackiness I'll try it too!!!

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk