Which rubbers for my Timo Boll ALC?

This user has no status.
I decided it's probably time to switch back to my Timo Boll ALC blade.

In the last months I used only my donic-all-wood-super-old blade, which has awesome control. And it helped me a lot to improve my technique.
But I start to feel it like it's a bit too slow. I have to push really hard to get extra power. And I get tired soon.

I tried these rubbers on the TB:

T05 (max) -> too fast / reactive
Donic Coppa X2 (max) -> too soft
Xiom Omega V Asia (max)-> too hard

I'm an offensive-allround player. I like the control/spin over the speed. I don't like too soft sponge.
So, which rubbers should I put on?

Rasanter?
Stiga?
Thibar MX / aurus?
Tenergy not max?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

In the last months I used only my donic-all-wood-super-old blade, which has awesome control. And it helped me a lot to improve my technique.
But I start to feel it like it's a bit too slow. I have to push really hard to get extra power. And I get tired soon.

I'm an offensive-allround player. I like the control/spin over the speed. I don't like too soft sponge.

Rasanter?
Stiga?
Thibar MX / aurus?
Tenergy not max?

Nanoflex FT40. Just the ticket for an ultracontrolled spin game.

Rozena is also very well balanced, for when it’s not just the high end of spin and speed that matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
If you ask those questions then ALC blades are probably too fast for you :)
Do you got a video of yourself playing?

Reactions: Suga D
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Xiom Vega Pro most definitely.
Incredible rubber for both forehand and backhand, and is light and very spinny and controlled but not slow. Especially good on backhand.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
My Timo Boll ALC had MX-S 1.9mm both sides and now it has Rakza 7 2.0.
I could give an opinion but I am not a calibrated machine.
MX-S seems a little harder but there isn't that much difference in my performance either way.
I would buy either again if a sale comes up on TableTennis11.

Someone mentioned Vega Pro. I like Vega Pro, it reminds me a lot of Rakza 7.
I just haven't ever had Vega Pro on my TB ALC.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Thanks a lot guys! All your suggestions are really appreciated.

I thought about take a faster wood blade before go to the carbon, but then I would need to collect info make questions, spend estra money bla bla..I already have a great blade so why dont use it?

So far I would probably go with Xiom Vega Pro and Nanoflex FT40. Both should cost the same of one Tenergy :)

BTW, I will try to make a video while I'm playing so you guys could suggest me even better.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
You'll really enjoy the Vega Pro I believe.
It's one of those rubbers pretty much everyone loves at first touch and nobody has a negative opinion on. Extremely forgiving too.

This user has no status.

Rasanter?
Stiga?
Thibar MX / aurus?
Tenergy not max?

Tibhar Evolution EL-S definitely fits you're criteria.

This user has no status.
In the end I went for the Rasanter R42 for my FH.
I tried it some days ago, and it was really nice. Good grip and control. I felt safety and power.
I decided to still go with a medium-soft sponge. I'm not fully ready yet for medium-hard rubbers..

Indeed I also tried Thibar Ausurs Select on a Timo Boll ALC of my teammate.
Very powerful and spinny medium-hard sponge rubber. But I'm not used yet to that kind of feeling, so I preferred to wait a bit my strokes get better.

This user has no status.
Tried it yesterday.

20180210_010754.jpg
I felt it a bit harder than it should be, probably because of the stiffness of the blade.
Now I need to push a bit harder to get real power out of the rubber, but it's there. I can feel it.

Spin is ok, not super spinny, but I need to retest it again better.

The sponge seems to be slightly thicker than usual, hard to tell if it makes any real difference.
The topsheet doesn't seem to me to be thinner than other rubbers..
20180211_112206.jpg

So far I would say good power and speed. Average spin. But I need to test it deeply for sure.

This user has no status.
I tried it again yesterday. I'm still a bit disappointed..

It's great for counter topspin and quite good for opening on backspin, but that's all.
Hard to control, very flat trajectory.
It's definitely not for beginner, maybe even for intermediate. It doesn't forgive much. I also think it doesn't suit well on stiff blade.
I should try it on my wood blade..

Here's a video of me playing with the equipment:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
You got decent technique but could work a bit on explosiveness :)
Regarding the setup: I actually tried the R42 in 1.9 mm on an Ovtcharov True Carbon on Sunday (my brother's racket, nearly identical to Bol ALC) and was surprised how slow it was. I also expected a faster setup. In general I found it a bit mushy for the Forehand, harder blades should be paired with harder sponges, especially when using a harder Koto outer ply. I guess you would be more happy with something like R47, Rozena, Vega Pro etc..

Edit: I have to take back that the Boll ALC might be too fast for you. I just see many people on the internet overestimating their skills, I like your technique tho :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
You got decent technique but could work a bit on explosiveness :)
Regarding the setup: I actually tried the R42 in 1.9 mm on an Ovtcharov True Carbon on Sunday (my brother's racket, nearly identical to Bol ALC) and was surprised how slow it was. I also expected a faster setup. In general I found it a bit mushy for the Forehand, harder blades should be paired with harder sponges, especially when using a harder Koto outer ply. I guess you would be more happy with something like R47, Rozena, Vega Pro etc..

Edit: I have to take back that the Boll ALC might be too fast for you. I just see many people on the internet overestimating their skills, I like your technique tho :)

I agree, it feels a bit mushy, sometimes almost dead. Hard to explain.
I expected the power would come up somehow, and I tried to trigger it as much as I can, with no luck.
I posted the video to show that : my technique is far to be perfect, but I tried my best to hit with some power (maybe I lack in explosiveness) and I didn't feel I was producing huge spin or power.

I'm quite sure I will change it again soon. Maybe the Vega Pro or the Aurus Select. Let's see.

BTW, my poor footwork is a bit embarrassing. I use videos to try to correct bad habits..:p