How much Tabletennis pro players make a year?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
but what interests the government has for them to play? Why would they ensure them a future work in return of playing? It's an interesting strategic for securing players future so they can focus on there training without worries

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

India copied Taiwan with that regards
So thats why I say there is only like 5 countries that would really look after its player (but its not a lot of money - its fair compared to normal employees, but I don't think it breaks even the return on investment in table tennis.
the rest - you are on your own.

This is another reason why players need to play in club table tennis and it is pointless from a financial aspect to play in world tours.
so with the new change of ranking - it will hurt a lot of players financially - to try and keep up the world ranking.
every time they take part (if they don't have sponsors), then it will cost them.
I know some players who will get sponsors for 4 international trips, so they would to fund the others.....

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
You really need to be mens WR 50 or 75 or better to make a decent deal outta it. 1. Bundesliga TT team Oschenhausen brought in Ryu Seung Min, and I would wager a huge sum he didn't use his personal funds to fly there, get an apartment and furniture/appliances, just to play some table tennis. His wife, kids, and mother in law moved in there too for a year or two.

The team also had at the time Pitchford, who was just cracking into the WR 100. They brought him in too, and I would bet he didn't pay his way either.

Maybe even some 2nd division teams would make it at least somewhat a living wage if there was a common apt provided to live in.

Coach O (the one I made a thread about) has been in German a bit, I outta interview him to get that story from him along with some other aspects of foreigners in Germany living a TT life.

I think we can say there is not more than 200 or 300 players that is making a good living out of table tennis.
the definition of good has a wide range, but I think for now, lets just say it breaks even.
I guess after playing years are gone/retire, one would need to continue to work as a coach etc,

of the 200-300 players who earns money to play, it is in the following places:
1) China super league players
2) Euro leagues (Germany, France, Russia) - I group them together as it is the same players playing every where.
3) Taiwan private funded clubs
4) India bank funded (maybe that is the reason why India is growing so fast - there is funding)
5) Japan
6) Korea

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tony's Table Tennis Rocks said:
I think we can say there is not more than 200 or 300 players that is making a good living out of table tennis.
the definition of good has a wide range, but I think for now, lets just say it breaks even.
I guess after playing years are gone/retire, one would need to continue to work as a coach etc,

of the 200-300 players who earns money to play, it is in the following places:
1) China super league players
2) Euro leagues (Germany, France, Russia) - I group them together as it is the same players playing every where.
3) Taiwan private funded clubs
4) India bank funded (maybe that is the reason why India is growing so fast - there is funding)
5) Japan
6) Korea

I do not know how it is for international pros, K-League pros, or the city teams semi-pros in Korea, so I comment on the amature TT world there.

In general, if there is a very high participation rate, then there is a demand and market for TT clubs, which in turn gives a path to a former player to be a coach or club owner if the costs to entry are relatively low. The cost to entry in Korea ARE relatively low. The typical club is a 3rd floor or basement place somewhere with reasonable or bargain rent/lease having 4-6 tables for play and 2 tables for training, often a separate table for a robot. $25,000-$40,000 USD can get things basically started. Koreans, even if they do not have cash, will pull that figure easily from their tail somehow, often from relatives. They do that to get a place to live, which ranges from 1/2 million USD to several million. Not so many rent there, they mostly buy or drop down a huge lump sum to use the place and get it back when they leave.

The average place has an owner, and they usually hire one coach, sometimes two, but mostly one.

So, there is a strong potential for ex-players, regardless of their level to have a possibility to make a living in TT.

If TT is a school sport, then mom would be incline to give the child extra training and buy them the best equipment and uniforms money can buy. This would bode well for clubs and coaches. However, in Korea, the grade school, middle school, and high schools hire an ex-pro player to setup a pro-style training camp right inside the school. The kids real job in school isn't to learn English, Math, Science, but to level up in TT and bring glory to the school. The coach makes maybe $3000 USD a month, which is OK money to live on if you already have your own apartment paid off. If you rent, you are just getting by barely with that income.

So, in Korea, the ex-K-League pros and lower international players who were 50/50 to be on national team get these relatively low paying school training positions. These players require only time to time employment, or only want to work when they want to, they enjoy this flexibility, they know they are in demand, so they know they will get work somewhere soon when they decide to work.

The top ex-pros either made enough to live well enough if they have paid off apartment, or they open HUGE clubs with a large initial investment for a new facility. Recently RSM and KJH have done this. You pay an extra $100 USD a month to get lessons from that level of pro. If they can get 100 members and 1/2 of them to take lessons, then their investment pays off... if not, then it is down the drain... reboot... pull some money outta the tail feathers and try it again.

What if you were higher than elite amature player, but not a national player or 50/50 candidate? Then you open an amature club with a little better sized facility requiring less investment. Generally, their kind of clubs will have 6-8 tables for open play and a few tables for training. Some of these places hire two coaches. Generally, these places succeed, some don't, but most do. Often, the spouse of the owner has a day job and they are saving up for their kids' future school/training. These small clubs make the owner anywhere from $1000 USD to $6000 a month after expenses depending on membership, how many coaches they hire, and location.

Some ex-pros open a smaller 4-6 table club, but usually they go big.

What if you were an elite amature player, but never made it to semi-pro, pro, or international pro level?

Then you choices are to have your momma carry you through life, pursue a career other than TT (buy they cannot, they were athletes who were not in school for education) (even then it is a dog fight where only 25% succeed), work in family business delivering chicken and beerz, or hire on as a coach in an amature club. These coaches, if they have 30 players to give lessons to, can expect to make about $2000 USD a month. They get a little more if they train 50 players a month twice or three times a week.

So, in Korea, there really isn't big time money after TT playing career is over, but there is still enough demand for TT so that an ex-player can still make a not-so-elegant living wage if they have their apartment all paid off. (or still live with mom, which is common up to age 45)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Der_Echte

Yep, China, Korea, Japan and Taiwan or all similar in that regards

If one is good enough to be in a school team or university team, and has a sports degree, one can end up being a proper coach.
in these countries, a coach can afford to feed its family

I think it is no doubts, 99% of places, table tennis only has income from coach, not from player.
But the reputation of the coach comes from his/her playing days - ie making national team etc etc.

I know many former national team players that can charge USD60/70 per hour (that is a lot of money in the east) for coaching.
As a player it would be a dream come true if you can make that to play per hour :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I do not know how it is for international pros, K-League pros, or the city teams semi-pros in Korea, so I comment on the amature TT world there.

In general, if there is a very high participation rate, then there is a demand and market for TT clubs, which in turn gives a path to a former player to be a coach or club owner if the costs to entry are relatively low. The cost to entry in Korea ARE relatively low. The typical club is a 3rd floor or basement place somewhere with reasonable or bargain rent/lease having 4-6 tables for play and 2 tables for training, often a separate table for a robot. $25,000-$40,000 USD can get things basically started. Koreans, even if they do not have cash, will pull that figure easily from their tail somehow, often from relatives. They do that to get a place to live, which ranges from 1/2 million USD to several million. Not so many rent there, they mostly buy or drop down a huge lump sum to use the place and get it back when they leave.

The average place has an owner, and they usually hire one coach, sometimes two, but mostly one.

So, there is a strong potential for ex-players, regardless of their level to have a possibility to make a living in TT.

If TT is a school sport, then mom would be incline to give the child extra training and buy them the best equipment and uniforms money can buy. This would bode well for clubs and coaches. However, in Korea, the grade school, middle school, and high schools hire an ex-pro player to setup a pro-style training camp right inside the school. The kids real job in school isn't to learn English, Math, Science, but to level up in TT and bring glory to the school. The coach makes maybe $3000 USD a month, which is OK money to live on if you already have your own apartment paid off. If you rent, you are just getting by barely with that income.

So, in Korea, the ex-K-League pros and lower international players who were 50/50 to be on national team get these relatively low paying school training positions. These players require only time to time employment, or only want to work when they want to, they enjoy this flexibility, they know they are in demand, so they know they will get work somewhere soon when they decide to work.

The top ex-pros either made enough to live well enough if they have paid off apartment, or they open HUGE clubs with a large initial investment for a new facility. Recently RSM and KJH have done this. You pay an extra $100 USD a month to get lessons from that level of pro. If they can get 100 members and 1/2 of them to take lessons, then their investment pays off... if not, then it is down the drain... reboot... pull some money outta the tail feathers and try it again.

What if you were higher than elite amature player, but not a national player or 50/50 candidate? Then you open an amature club with a little better sized facility requiring less investment. Generally, their kind of clubs will have 6-8 tables for open play and a few tables for training. Some of these places hire two coaches. Generally, these places succeed, some don't, but most do. Often, the spouse of the owner has a day job and they are saving up for their kids' future school/training. These small clubs make the owner anywhere from $1000 USD to $6000 a month after expenses depending on membership, how many coaches they hire, and location.

Some ex-pros open a smaller 4-6 table club, but usually they go big.

What if you were an elite amature player, but never made it to semi-pro, pro, or international pro level?

Then you choices are to have your momma carry you through life, pursue a career other than TT (buy they cannot, they were athletes who were not in school for education) (even then it is a dog fight where only 25% succeed), work in family business delivering chicken and beerz, or hire on as a coach in an amature club. These coaches, if they have 30 players to give lessons to, can expect to make about $2000 USD a month. They get a little more if they train 50 players a month twice or three times a week.

So, in Korea, there really isn't big time money after TT playing career is over, but there is still enough demand for TT so that an ex-player can still make a not-so-elegant living wage if they have their apartment all paid off. (or still live with mom, which is common up to age 45)

very nice post. Enjoyed reading it!

So there should be quite a lot TT clubs in Korea then. How much does it cost per month to buy a membership in some average club?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I had a chance to meet some Indian pros sometime back . They told each one of them had a secure job with Govt public sector like banks etc. While they are still playing their promotion would depend on their performances and they dont need to really attend work. Just concentrate on play. After retirement, they are like any other regular employee. Not bad. !!!

That's some very weird way of supporting athletes IMHO. And it makes this sentence "A great way to get a railway job in India" from https://www.sportsflu.com/table-tennis/earning-table-tennis-player/ much more understandable for me. When I read the article I thought it was some sentence long typo or smth, cause it didn't make any sense for me.

If country wishes to support player, just grant him a stipend, not create a fake job somewhere:) and promote if he wins a tournament...

Reactions: drunix80
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
very nice post. Enjoyed reading it!

So there should be quite a lot TT clubs in Korea then. How much does it cost per month to buy a membership in some average club?

Depends on the area. For around 80 USD, you should get unlimited play every day in the club for the whole month. If you identify yourself as a TT athlete, it would be $10 or less for the day if you pay per visit.

For club membership with lessons, it depends on the number of 20 minute lessons you want in a month. For around $150 USD, you could get club membership with two 20 minute lessons per week for the entire month, (8 total) still a great deal.

What is better, is the great friends and good times you cold enjoy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Found some interesting calculations how much players had to win in World Tour https://zoomtt.com/2017/01/08/2017-ittf-world-tour-how-much-money-will-ma-long-company-make/ :)

based on this, I'm sure there is many people earn more than Ma Long in this forum......
I guess if he wasn't a chinese (gov support), he would hardly be able to make enough for after retirement.
note, there is still TAX that needs to come off
In Ma Long's case - its CNT covers airfare, accommodation, coaches etc
He also gets salary for being in CNT