Are you Right or Left eye dominate? Simple test right here.

Eye dominance & left or right handed?

• I'm RIGHT eye dominate and RIGHT handed.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • I'm LEFT eye dominate and RIGHT handed.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm RIGHT eye dominate and LEFT handed.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I'm LEFT eye dominatte and LEFT handed.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Other - Both eye dominate perhaps? explain.

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'm curious to get a feel of the members here if they're playing hand is also the same as their dominate eye.

Simple test you can do right now. Takes a second to figure out.

Make a triangle with your hand as shown in the picture here. Focus on some object. Could be anything.
cache.php

Now close your left eye and look with your right eye. Then close your right eye and look with your left eye. In one of them the object will stay in your triangle and you see it. In the other eye, the object will have moved and you can no longer see it.

The eye where the object remains visible is your dominate eye.

For example I am right eye dominate but left handed. When I close my left eye, the object doesn't move. It stays in the triangle. When I close my right eye and look with the left, the object is no longer visible and I see to the side of it.

There are some cases I guess out there of some people being both eye dominate or equal to which I'm not sure what you see. If you think you fall into this camp, post your findings here.

Now that we know that? Which are you and are you left or right handed? Do you think it matters to be playing opposite handed from your dominate eye?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I was pretty sure I was right eye dominant. The test confirms that. I am also right handed.

I heard somewhere that, often players who are right handed and right eye dominant, they often end up being BH dominant players: easier to see the ball coming to the BH. And righties who are left eye dominant often end up FH dominant players: Left eye sees the ball coming to the righty FH more easily.

But I don’t really know if that has much merit. So this data would also be interesting.

1) Which eye is dominant.
2) Are you left or right handed.
3) As a player, are you FH or BH dominant.

Nice idea for a thread. Thanks suds.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
I was pretty sure I was right eye dominant. The test confirms that. I am also right handed.

I heard somewhere that, often players who are right handed and right eye dominant, they often end up being BH dominant players: easier to see the ball coming to the BH. And righties who are left eye dominant often end up FH dominant players: Left eye sees the ball coming to the righty FH more easily.

But I don’t really know if that has much merit. So this data would also be interesting.

Nice idea for a thread. Thanks suds.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Me,

1. Pure Left Eyed Dominant
2. I play table tennis right handed, but mostly left handed in anything else other than writing.
3. Backhand Chop Dominant

I am sorry for disagreeing with You, Carl,

In my case, the problem is, my vision span also tilted right, from 1100 to 0300 rather than 1000 to 0200 o clock, so most ball to my forehand kinda like suddenly appear from my left blind spot.

when I played from backhand side, because every ball came from my right to my backhand, I can see the whole ball flight path. :)

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
1) Left eye
2) Right handed
3) Forehand. If it's worth anything, my backhand was a lot better than FH as a kid playing Shakehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
So this data would also be interesting.

So this thought came up in my head because my 1st grader daughter is a little behind in reading. Just like i was as a kid. We had her eyes checked and as it turns out, she has a eye convergence issue going on. Looks like i do also. Simple test is have someone take a pencil. Hold it out say 1 foot from between your eyes, slowly bring it in to touch right between the eyes. Tell the person to follow it as it comes in. This forces their eyes to cross. Well for me, my left eye starts to turn outward which I guess is odd. There's therapy you can work on for this. My daughter is going to so hopefully it will help me also.

Ever since this info came about, I'm starting to notice that my % of balls coming fast to my FH I can occasionally completely whiff on. It happened to me 3 times Sunday at club when I was there only 2 1/2 hours. As I think about it, I rarely see someone completely whiff a ball once in a whole night. For me it was 3 times. It makes me wonder if I'm seeing the ball all that clearly. So there's that. A separate thing.

But, I am right eye dominate. Is this because my left eye is weak? IDK. Maybe. Anyways, I play penhold and have a lot more practice on the FH but I used to play shakehand way back in the day and overall consider my BH to be better so I would say BH oriented as a lefty. Now here's where it gets interesting. I've played right handed before several times. By far my FH when I play right handed is actually not bad at all. Feels very easy. So in both cases, I think i'm dominate when the ball is coming to my right side.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually right handed and was just made to be left handed as my brother groomed me as a kid... He wanted me to be some sort of Tennis pro and felt it was an advantage being left handed. So i ended up left handed but I'm right eye dominate and my right arm is ever so slightly stronger than my left. Go figure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Left eye dominant Lettie. Used to be fh Dom but becoming more BH with time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Left eye dominant rightie. Find backhand easier than forehand, but reverse was true with tennis. A few papers suggest there isn't any advantage to being cross-dominant, even in sports with side-on stances like baseball or cricket. But it's important in shooting sports, where some experts even think it's easier for cross-dominant people to learn to shoot with their non-dominant hand (so their dominant eye is in line with the gun sight).

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
I'm curious to get a feel of the members here if they're playing hand is also the same as their dominate eye.

Simple test you can do right now. Takes a second to figure out.

Make a triangle with your hand as shown in the picture here. Focus on some object. Could be anything.
cache.php

Now close your left eye and look with your right eye. Then close your right eye and look with your left eye. In one of them the object will stay in your triangle and you see it. In the other eye, the object will have moved and you can no longer see it.

The eye where the object remains visible is your dominate eye.

For example I am right eye dominate but left handed. When I close my left eye, the object doesn't move. It stays in the triangle. When I close my right eye and look with the left, the object is no longer visible and I see to the side of it.

There are some cases I guess out there of some people being both eye dominate or equal to which I'm not sure what you see. If you think you fall into this camp, post your findings here.

Now that we know that? Which are you and are you left or right handed? Do you think it matters to be playing opposite handed from your dominate eye?

I am a right eye dominant and right handed and forehand dominant . I didnt know about my eye dominant which is interesting for me . but now that I know what do

think about ITS USE IN TABLE TENNIS ??

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I am a right eye dominant and right handed and forehand dominant . I didnt know about my eye dominant which is interesting for me . but now that I know what do

think about ITS USE IN TABLE TENNIS ??

Also right eye, never knew that. I’m lefthanded by inclination, but was taught to write righthanded and I play righthanded, not sure if I qualify as a true rightie.

I used to be BH dominant, but am probably lightly FH dominant now. I regress to BH dominance when worn out playing, certainly. Ooh, questionnaires are hard, there are no simple questions or answers. :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Me,

1. Pure Left Eyed Dominant
2. I play table tennis right handed, but mostly left handed in anything else other than writing.
3. Backhand Chop Dominant

I am sorry for disagreeing with You, Carl,

In my case, the problem is, my vision span also tilted right, from 1100 to 0300 rather than 1000 to 0200 o clock, so most ball to my forehand kinda like suddenly appear from my left blind spot.

when I played from backhand side, because every ball came from my right to my backhand, I can see the whole ball flight path. :)

Personally, I would be fine if you disagreed with me. I am not sure you even do. :)

I am not the one who came up with the hypothesis. I just thought it was interesting.

And you are saying you are left eye dominant and you still see the ball better when you are playing BH and when you are playing FH it is harder to see the ball. I think that is pretty interesting. I also don't think the hypothesis can predict those things for everyone. But I am not sure if eye dominance is even a factor in whether a player is FH or BH dominant. I am just interested in whether there is any evidence that would support the hypothesis.

For instance, I am right handed, I am right eye dominant. I used to be better at BH and fell back on BH and would get stuck on the BH wing a lot. At some point I did a lot of training on footwork and my FH improved a lot and I don't have that any more and I would say my FH is better than my BH even though I would rather receive serve with BH than FH most of the time. But the receive of serve with BH, for me, is because it is much easier for me to play over the table with BH than FH.

So, I actually think, for most people, training and technique are more important to which wing is dominant. But I still think it will be interesting to see how many players are left eye dominant, right handed, and FH dominant.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ever since this info came about, I'm starting to notice that my % of balls coming fast to my FH I can occasionally completely whiff on. It happened to me 3 times Sunday at club when I was there only 2 1/2 hours. As I think about it, I rarely see someone completely whiff a ball once in a whole night. For me it was 3 times. It makes me wonder if I'm seeing the ball all that clearly. So there's that. A separate thing.

It is worth knowing that missing the ball could be caused by many, many things. But since this is table tennis, you should know, you are not alone.

I have seen Ma Long and Jun Mizutani and every other top pro whiff at some point. Us mere mortals do it a lot more.

When swinging at a ball while you think you know where the ball is, only to find out that you swing and the ball is somewhere else, is most usually a problem of brain processing and reading spin. Your brain actually creates an internal picture based on the idea of a specific spin like a slow, heavy backspin ball. And if the actual spin on the ball was something else, (light backspin, dead, sidespin, topspin....). it becomes much more likely that your racket will swing where your brain images the projected trajectory of the ball instead of the actual trajectory of the ball.

The most interesting part of this idea is that you will swear you saw the ball where you were swinging, only to find it wasn't there. At mid and intermediate levels that is still usually caused by a mistake in brain processing.

Even when you see footage where a top player gets fooled by an under the table wiggly lob and they swing 3 feet to the left of where the ball actually is, that is also the associated with brain processing function at gone a little wrong.

I must admit I do find it entertaining to hit with someone who has really never played with a club level player and spin the hell out of the ball to him and watch him have no idea where the ball is going and no ability to put the racket on the ball. That is someone who is more likely to misread the spin and someone who does not have enough experience playing adequate levels of spin to have a reasonable internal picture of the actual trajectory of the ball.

If you ever have one of those moments where you have misread the spin so badly that it looks like the ball is floating and wobbling, and you are sort of seeing the ball but you can't figure out what you are seeing, that is your brain being tricked by the dissonance between what you thought the ball would do and what the ball actually did. It is an example of you, in the middle of being tricked, realizing that what you thought you would see and what you actually are seeing are not quite in accord with each other.

If you have never had that happen, play with a couple of players 300-400 rating points higher than you and tell them to mess you up with spin deception. A LP player that much higher level than you might do it without you asking. [emoji4]

But, over the internet it is pretty much impossible to accurately diagnose whether something like this is brain processing or an eye convergence issue.

My guess though is, if you make contact with more than 90% of the balls that come to you with decent loop topspin, if you can put your racket on those hook loops most of the time, if you are only fooled into whiffing 3 times in 2.5 hours, it is much more likely to be brain processing than something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Wow what a cool test! I am strongly left eye dominated.... didn't think so! I don't even see the thing anymore if I close my left eye! However, if I really focus on something the thing i focus on moves about the same distance when i close either eye, just the opposite way.

Ps: Someday i am FH dominant, the other BH... However, the BH has always been a shot that came easy to me and I am a lot better at than other people at my level. Plus i play in a backhand stance with a backhand grip if im very tired... and started out with a backhand grip hmmm-......

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I had that ball wobbling floating thing against a long pips player recently. I had no clue what was on the ball so just hit it high to his backhand corner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf

please dont lie about it or u will burn in hell. I manage to get rocketing rabbit after much practice, the sound of sheep is really messing with my focus. I think its a nice test to help you focus and react, it may help with the receive aspect of tt probably?

Hmm. I did this and got called sluggish. I found that weird and realized I had reactions like 0.450. This is definitely wrong. I participated in a reaction time measurement in the university's institue of psychology and I was most likely under 0.200. I can't remember the exact average time, because it was recorded over 45 mins with breaks, but I am pretty sure that 0.450 is wrong.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I am rightie with left eye dominance. My right eye is weak, it can't be helped with glasses. So my brain shuts down most of the informations coming from my right eye and I only use it when my left eye is covered. People say that I don't even have a depth perception. I can't imagine what does it feel when you have depth perception and it bothered me that it probably mess with my table tennis skills. But now I just don't care and try to give my best. I feel I could reach a pretty high level with more training, so depth perception can be learned pretty well.

Reactions: BeGo