Name of your racket?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Reposting from a different thread one of my posts from last year or 2 yrs ago:

1) "Excalibur" - what I named my Double Happiness '08' 7-ply blade :) ... this blade is from late 1970's or early 1980's - got it used from a friend

I had a DHS factory off-the-shelf model in which I had sanded the bottom of the handle to the way I liked it. This handle facilitated my punch (back in 1980's, this was called a 'push-block') technique. Family pet dog bit the handle one day, and I did my best to mend it. Also, the handle cracked from some smashes or loops and i lost my grip and the racket flew.

In the first pic you can see how much i sanded the wings and the 2nd pic you can see the groove on the bottom of the handle.

~2 yrs ago, after a 30+ yrs break from TT, I started using this again... late last year, I noticed some crack lines showing up and I decided to retire Excalibur.

osph-excalibur1.jpgosph-excalibur2.jpg

After I retired Excalibur, I used as my primary blade back then, an Avalox P700. I didn't name it, but I took it a step or 2 further ... am I the only TT player geeky/stupid/batty to do this? "batty" ... get it? I'm so "punny"!

Reposting from a different thread from 2 yrs ago:

SHHHH! this is a secret! don't let Carl know! Need to counter his magic wands when next we are able to hook up.

osph-avaloxp700.jpg

Simplified Chinese characters with Pinyin transliteration: literally translates to something like "100 tries, 100 hits" and taken to mean "Never miss."

Wrote it on with a sharpie marker...

Got the idea from Filipino Martial Arts - where the warriors defending their homeland against invaders, as well as death matches vs each other - they used 'anting anting' (a type of magic charm, like a rabbit's foot or horseshoe, sometimes it's a physical item, sometimes it's an inscription... one of the most famous Filipino martial arts masters, Antonio Ilustrisimo, never lost a death match... had his anting anting tattooed on his chest... he believed that was why he never lost a death match... also he was highly skilled.

Please tell me this is normal and that others have done this!

LOLOL at me!!

From Avalox, i went to Nexy Amazon as my primary. I didn't name it (yet), but if i did, it would be riffing off of "Amazon", so possible candidates:

Diana
Princess
Wonder Woman
Wonder
WW
Rain
Rainforest

Currently to facilitate my learning RPB, I'm using an American Hinoki WRC 9mm. Unnamed for now. May just call it "Woody" (because it's a wood blade) or "Guthrie" (from singer Woody Guthrie)

LOL

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Stupid PoS, is what I usually call mine, if I call it anything at all. For some reason when things go well the bat doesn't get a ton of credit, but when bad things happen it takes a share of the blame

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I gave up with naming them and just called them by numbers...

I think you have enough blades to play with a new one every day of the year and still not get to all of them. Hahahaha.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Murray. Or maybe Mortimer. Or maybe Vinny?

Yeah. That's the ticket.

Vinny the Viscaria.

The actual answer is, why would anyone name their blade? It's a piece of wood.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

Yeah. That's the ticket.

Vinny the Viscaria.

It’s also an object of affection, I guess. A thing one develops a personal, one might even say intimate relationship with. Anthropomorphization is simply the next train stop from there.

Besides, my Kay’s got both a temper and a dark soul. She can sing jubilantly too. A character, a name.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yeah. That's the ticket.

Vinny the Viscaria.

To me it is entertaining to think of names that I actually end up associating with the particular blade. Just something for fun.

Vin Diesel the Viscaria. Hahaha.

Nah, Vin Diesel is a strange character. Don’t name a blade after him. I’ve known him since he was in diapers. Trust me. Don’t do it. Hahahaha.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy