How Can We Protect Female Players From Larry Nasser Types In Table Tennis?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Anyone see the latest developments in the Catholic cover-up operation...

Francis set off a national uproar upon leaving Chile on Thursday by accusing victims of the country's most notorious pedophile priest of having slandered another bishop, Juan Barros. The victims say Barros knew of the abuse but did nothing to stop it — a charge Barros denies.
"The day they bring me proof against Bishop Barros, I'll speak," Francis told Chilean journalists in the northern city of Iquique. "There is not one shred of proof against him. It's all calumny. Is that clear?"

Let's look at the meaning of "Calumny" ...

cal·um·ny
ˈkaləmnē/
noun
noun: calumny; plural noun: calumnies
the making of false and defamatory statements in order to damage someone's reputation; slander.
synonyms:
slander, defamation (of character), character assassination, libel; More
vilification, traducement, obloquy, verbal abuse;
informalmudslinging, trash-talk;
rarecontumely
"voters were tired of the candidates' endless barrage of calumny"
a false and slanderous statement.

Wow, using another same old page from the playbook to minimize and shame accusers...

Here is a leader that has nearly blind following of countless millions using such words to address the situation and flat-out saying the accusers are doing it to damage the accused.

NO, the guy (EDIT) would never (EDIT) say something like "Well, decades and centuries long sexual abuse is a horrific crime that has been perpetrated by trusted leaders in our organization and fully supported by more senior leaders... and it has to stop... and we are responsible for ensuring it doesn't stop. These latest accusations against Juan Berros are very serious and we will take immediate action to protect the public by removing him from his position, ask the police to fully investigate and fully support prosecution if it leads to that, conduct our own investigation and take administrative action as proper based on the results. We fully support victims reporting abuse and encourage them to promptly report abuse to the police and anonymously to us."

NO, the top leader of the Catholic organization will never say something like that, although a less senior leader did say "...fully recognizes the egregious failures of the church and its clergy who abused children and the devastating impact those crimes have had on survivors and their loved ones." Stuff like that leads to successful lawsuits... but the balance statement of their organization has income and assets (and huge continued income) to easily handle the financial outcomes of such lawsuits.

This is still happening in the modern world and people are still putting up with it.

Until children and adults learn and recognize the methods used to setup and perform the abuse, know many of the behavioral warning signs, know how to prompty report and preserve physical evidence, know who all to tell, have support to me physically and mentally strong, and collectively have a will to hold abusers accountable... until then - until these first important steps are done, it is gunna be tough.

When an abuser knows someone is gunna be watching them (after the first one tells - or after one sees warning signs and reports) (assuming no physical evidence that could lead to a much higher chance of conviction in court) they are less likely to abuse. That is in our modern day, the most effective starting point.

One could make an argument about an much older way to address abusers. The court was the court of public opinion. If public opinion was won and swung against an abuser... good night, it was over. Promptly, a crowd would snatch up the accuser and hang 'em high. Right or wrong, the abuser would abuse no more. No one in that day would tolerate an abuser in their society. This method made well sure that people would act in a way (namely not abusing) to avoid such an outcome. Argue all one will, there are good and bad points about that approach, much like there are good and bad points about modern law and courts.

There is a whole lot of other important things that need to be in place, like the responders, support systems, laws, investigations, prosecution, infrastructure to facilitate reporting and investigation, social and peer factors,

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Fresh off the press of WTF... A guy pleads GUILY to Rape, forcible sodomy, and insertion... of a female THIRTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL...and gets ZERO jail time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-man-gets-probation-raping-13-old-girl-195430716.html

Damn, and I lived in that state for 5 years.

How the F did a DISTRICT ATTORNEY (Asst) allow a plea deal with such terms... because primary mitigating factor was the rapist is legally blind !!! (But could see enough to isolate the girl and do the crime)

Wow. Raping a 13yr old girl and threatening to kill her gets you zero jail time nowadays if one plays it right... 150 yrs ago that would be addressed with a gathering, a rope, and little to zero expenditure of public funds.

Even if someone reports an assault to an institutional bureaucrat, SafeSport Admin, or even the proper authorities... crap like this happens.

Wow, this is NOT something that is "Proud to be American" situation.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Either way, the new article is an example of the degree of what wrong attitudes we have even among the "Good Guys/Gals" level.

We have a serious cultural problem that cannot be solved with hooking up a USB cable to the affected ones and uploading values.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A news article from today, one of the lawyers involved in the case is a victim herself, and reported abuse to her church... and surprisingly didn't get justice. I am purposely avoiding the religious aspects, maybe another thread, it will lead away from the main point going there.

Main Point - Victims report a crime to the wrong place often. We as a society often shake our heads at that, but we were not in their shoes.

On one front, a person not involved with the situation would think that reporting to church first is not gunna get it done. Such a person would believe reporting to police immediately is the way to go.

We would prolly think pretty similar. Yet, we were not the one traumatized. A lot of us will do things not exactly like we should given situations even a fraction of the severity of a sexual assault victim. We should be a little more understanding.

Just the effects of a trauma are bad enough, but often, the one victimized had very little training on what to do, where to go, how the legal process works... These kind of things are difficult to get into the head of a young one well enough, let alone into that of an adult, yet frequent training of how to handle, where to report, on a simple level makes a huge difference.

Nearly all of these crimes are already not even reported, then the ones that get reported are not done in a timely manner while there is physical evidence (although some of these crimes don't have physical evidence) or reported to the wrong place.

If all victims promptly report to police (and hope police or District Attorney do not mess up) then abusers would know that the chances of getting away with the crime undetected or unreported or next to zero. This will go a long way to stop the abuse from happening.

Criminals usually have several "Ingredients" before they commit a crime.

- A criminal mind and desire to commit crime.
- An opportunity to commit the crime
- A very good chance they can do it without getting identified or caught (or they just don't care)

We are unlikely to hook up a USB cable to everyones' heads and pump in standard values.

We can work on reducing the opportunity with vigilance, training, and intervention if we see signs.

We can "Starve Out" the criminal on the front of worry over identification. That will go a long way.

This user has no status.
I like watching Law & Order tv series. One of the several branches is the Special Victim Unit tv series which depicts the real happenings of sexually based offenses.

Now on season 19 is one of the four longest running series in the US.

I've seen they cover coach-students situation, priest-kids situation, etc. It's heart breaking. The stories told not only the wins (caught/punished bad guys, but also some the getaways where the bad guys walked free).

I've been watching it for years, and recently about the end of season 17 or was it start of season 18 I quit. I felt enough of the darkness and stop watching it.

Scary what humans can do to their fellows...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Wow, an interesting development... a prominent figure in the "#Me Too" movement (a movement encouraging female victims of sexual abuse to come forward and report... even decades later)... this figure is now accused by a man of doing some in "Mee-Too" kinda things... it is enough for her to go on unpaid leave.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/male-staffer-accuses-california-assemblywoman-misconduct-003752466.html
Trying to equate the Garcia case with the Nassar case is e very sick attempt to remove the serious work to prevent the rapes of young girls and boys that has begun by the Safesport program and is charging ahead in the courts. Is that what you want?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well, if we proceed with the guilty before proven innocent thing you appear to advocate, we can see where it would all go. All it would take is one person saying this or that to make one compelled to hire a very expensive attorney to defend against the untrue accusation. In a world where guilty before innocent happens, then it can become a difficult thing. EDIT: Such a thing would bankrupt an honest person quick and would turn into a tool of ruin at someone's whim... do we want that kind of world?

Are you upset at me that the shoe is on the other foot in this news article?

I already made very clear what the crime of sexual assault is, how is happens, how it has been perpetuated, and how to fight against it.

I would like to see you publically show us how you would fix this difficult problem of sexual assault in our country.... without hysteria please.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
rokphishy said:
I like watching Law & Order tv series. One of the several branches is the Special Victim Unit tv series which depicts the real happenings of sexually based offenses.

Now on season 19 is one of the four longest running series in the US.

I've seen they cover coach-students situation, priest-kids situation, etc. It's heart breaking. The stories told not only the wins (caught/punished bad guys, but also some the getaways where the bad guys walked free).

I've been watching it for years, and recently about the end of season 17 or was it start of season 18 I quit. I felt enough of the darkness and stop watching it.

Scary what humans can do to their fellows...

It is also notable that one of the stars in this series, a male detective on the SVU, is a former popular rapper who openly advocated the killing of police.

There may have been some very real and serious things going that led him to believe this was justified and needed to address things he saw or felt about police.

Now it is interesting the same person plays a fighter against sexual crimes, and does a very good job of portraying the concerned and dedicated detective committed to fight against sexual crime and support victims.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hmmm.... back to NYC, home of Worker Bee and the good Detective from SVU in the police show.

Now two male NYC plainclothes detectives are up on charges of sexually assaulting a female. It appears they used an opportunity to force their desires upon a female using the power of their badges. The story tells that two NYC plainclothes police pulled over a vehicle for an unknown reason, found cannabis by an unknown means, released the 2 males in the vehicle, detained the female, handcuffed her, informed her she was under arrest... then (according to a police investigation) at an unknown place, unknown time proximity to the detention, the same two police repeatedly sexually assaulted her. The victim DID go to a hospital (assumedly for treatment and a FORENSIC EXAM timeline unknown, but likely soon after the assault - there was still physical evidence) that produced (according to the District Attorney) DNA matching the two police.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nyc-rape-case-prompts-calls-close-police-sex-152534423.html

Wow. This kind of thing is one of the big reasons a victim is reluctant to report sexual assaults in a timely manner. Can police be trusted? Will the one(s) receiving the criminal complaint and investigating act with compassion, professionalism, respect and dignity towards the victim? There are well founded doubts about this, which I believe cause a victim to not want to report the crime in a timely manner nor at all.

The key question in this case is whether the intercourse was consensual. Hmm... the military (and hopefully many civilian jurisdictions) clearly state that intercourse cannot be consensual if the victim is under a certain age, intoxicated or coerced by threat. A reasonable person would conclude that detention by handcuffs and intent to arrest, then shortly afterwards having intercourse with the same would constitute coercion - regardless of whether the victim was unwillingly and violently assaulted or begged the police to do it. There was clearly coercion happening in any reasonable person's judgment.

NY law states for first degree rape law must address victim's "Capacity to Consent" which may be a different standard.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/new-york-law/new-york-rape-laws.html

It appears this case will go to trial (if a plea deal is not struck) (why strike one, unless the accused agree to max penalty or a death sentence?) The central defense will be whether it was consensual or not. Likely the police will bring up past sexual details of the victim's past and smear the character. If the accused police escape conviction, this will be another example of police on the wild with no accountability.

Another aspect is there is no law making it illegal for police to have intercourse with those they encounter, detain or assist.

REALLY ??? NY needs a law to "Stop" police from doing this? (Like a law is gunna stop a criminal) OK, in absence of such a law, CLEARLY what these police did was at a minimum (assuming it was consensual) unprofessional, has a clear appearance of wrongdoing, and brings discredit and mistrust of police to the public. That would make accomplishing the mission police have even more difficult and dangerous. There are already administrative processes existing that would justify firing these police. How many such cases we see like this happen and the police keep their employment and even get promoted?

Police are in a position of public trust that requires MUCH HIGHER standards of conduct. Police have a dark rep of backing each other right or wrong. How will this turn out? How will this change the minds of the public to demand and enact "right" change.

Let's believe the victim, hope the prosecution wins the court fight, and the police accused get maximum punishment.

What is max punishment for rape in NY? 25 yrs jail.

This is going to get drawn out unless there is a plea deal. If the mayor rightfully expresses his indignation and horror that his police forces do stuff like this and insert his personal opinion, then that could be used as defense that the trial is unfair and that a conviction is mandatory and unjustly achieved. Stuff like this happens too. Public officials biting their tongues has got to bite, but it is a byproduct of our justice system.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I remember reading about this case last year. The former detectives have meanwhile pleaded not guilty to rape and other charges in an apparent attempt to use a loophole in the laws of New York and some other states (actually 35 states including New York). Nevertheless they already quit their jobs last November, and by doing so they retain at least a part of their pensions. Yet another loophole it seems (considering the circumstances)...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So much to say. But I am trying to say nothing. :)

I am tempted to lock this thread. But, I guess I will just remain tempted....for now.

Curious what caused WorkerBee to think Der_ was equating the Garcia case to the Nasser case. But I think I know that anything that doesn't seem to fit in WorkerBee's world view seems to get attacked even if WorkerBee isn't quite sure what she is attacking.

I think Der_ made an interesting observation that someone who figures prominently in the MeToo movement is being called out for the kind of behavior that the MeToo movement says it is fighting against. But this time it is a woman doing it to a few men. Which, is usually quite rare. And, of course, there is the question of whether the accusations are true.

But now WorkerBee is going to come up with some new kind of conspiracy rather than understanding what is being said. Well, I hope not. Because I don't think what Der said had anything to do with Nasser and I don't think anyone would argue that awkward flirting that does not work, but crosses professional boundaries, is different than molesting 100s of underage girls.

But, awkward flirting did seem to cause Franken to give up his senate seat. And awkward and unasked for flirting seems to have caused Garcia to take a leave of absence. And it could be some kind of big deal when someone who is central to the MeToo movement is accused of the same things they say they are fighting against. Or, it could be cyber attacks from the Alt Right and foreign entities trying to create problems for people on the left. I saw at least one article that says this was the case for at least the Franken situation.

However, I really do feel like this whole subject does not really fit in with the subject of table tennis. And I really don't see any evidence of there being something going on like what Nasser did in table tennis. Is there any reason to think that children being trained to play table tennis are also being sexually abused?

Oh no....here comes.....run for cover.

Say, is that Jan Ove Waldner over there? Gotta Go.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Actually the simplest answer to Worker Bee's original post is to make sure your kids are never alone when they are being coached. And if they are hurt take them to the family doctor. A woman doctor might be safest. Given the simplicity and obvious nature of the answer it seems likely that the Worker Bee had some other purpose in mind. What? Beats me.