Blade suggestion for in table play- long pips ox

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
The answer to this question is highly dependant upon the pips you decide to use on your backhand and whether you mix chops in with loops/hits on your forehand.

Tensor pips such as D.TecS, Piranha, Kamikaze etc are very sensitive to blade speed and should only be used up to All+, possibly Off- if you have good hands (meaning you are good as softening your grip at the point of impact).

Hellfire, Dornenglanz I and Giant Dragon Talon are best with All to Off- blades for a pushblocking game, however they can be used with OFF blades as long as you chop block anything closer to the table and chop further from the table. If you chop on the forehand then you have to step back to Def to All+.

I play the chop block, chop, forehand loop/counterloop/hit game with Dornenglanz OX and found I could play with a Viscaria if I stuck to my tactics and loosened my grip when using the pips. Dornenglanz is the least sensitive pip I have used to blade speed. Hellfire was tough for me on anything with a harder outer ply above OFF- speed. I think this boils down to the stiffness of the pips, Dornenglanz has fairly stiff pips which forgive a faster blade up to a certain impact force, which I don't allow to be breached if I can help it by using soft hands. Hellfire and all the tensor pips are softer and bend easier so the hard and heavy plastic ball needs less force to bend them and get into the wood making them more sensitive to the speed of the blade.

I have had success with tensor pips and the S&T Zeus blade, Dr N. Titan and Joo, but for my game which relies on forehand attacks to win the point (good players tend to use the pips against you rather than give you free points by sticking it in the net or sending no spin pushes long) I prefer to use Dornenglanz on OFF blades. I am about to try the Clipper Oversize WRB to replace my Viscaria/Double Day Terminator as I think the Koto outer and carbon in those lessens my ability to dampen the speed on chop blocks closer to the table just that bit too much, and the Clipper won't be that different in terms of forehand speed.

Another tip, the new Sauer & Troger Super Stop rubber in 1.9mm can be used in combination with OFF and OFF+ blades and you can play LP strokes with it. If you don't chop a lot (although it chops pretty well) and rely more on push/chop blocking then this is a better option with the plastic ball than OX LP, much easier to hit with and distribute the balls to awkward angles, as well as dropping the ball short over the net to avoid getting killed. I think this Toni Hold kind of classic anti will be the new go to in the plastic era for pushblockers, OX LP still have their place for those that chop further back as much or more than they block at the table. Review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GmqW36ijZQ

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You will need to identify the most frequent and important shots or kind of ball you are trying for, then select equipment in the middle of that "Zone".

That "Zone" can be many different zones depending on what you are attempting.

Some pips players want the slowest thing out there, some go ALL, some go more. Korean OX punchblockers go OFF+++ (think Schlager Carbon) with OX BH and control rubber FH. They punch with BH, so they need as short a dwell as possible, so those fast, solid blades are the sweet spot for them, plus they don't spin, but step around power hit...

I know am OX player who tries to take it all off the bounce with his BH and use his grip pressure change to drop ball short or punch it deep... The OFF- kind of wood blades are great for him, but he has the touch to use faster or slower with pretty much the same result or level.

Think a bit about what you want to do and go middle of zone for whatever that is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Do the Korean punchblockers play shakehand grip?

Impressive use of the wrist if so, because punching with OX pips is not easy, the angle of the blade and contact point above the net has to be perfect because it travels in a straight line. I have seen penhold players play with this style very effectively because the grip lends itself to that shot on the backhand, for power and consistency of finding the right angle.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Do the Korean punchblockers play shakehand grip?

Impressive use of the wrist if so, because punching with OX pips is not easy, the angle of the blade and contact point above the net has to be perfect because it travels in a straight line. I have seen penhold players play with this style very effectively because the grip lends itself to that shot on the backhand, for power and consistency of finding the right angle.

Most Korean OX players are O40 ladies using a very fast SH blade, control rubber on FH, and OX LP on BH. This lady in this vid is different as she has SP on FH. Korea OX Punch blockers pretty much poke or jab at the ball to get an error or wait for the high ball to step around and FH kill. They do not use a lot of wrist. However, the coach, Coach Yoo from YDJTTC teaches every possible shot of OX and he uses his wrist and arm very fluidly. (Second vid I post here.) They sometimes just stick the bat out there, loosen grip some, and just get the ball back... but they are pretty much trained to play aggressively with the OX.

This is from the weekly Thursday handicap club tourney. The guy spots her 2 points as he is one level higher classified. He is REAL different from most guys as he uses C-Pen with OX on FH.

Coach Yoo putting an OX rubber through some paces.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
From what I have seen of the Korean long pips attackers, they look good at times, but still not that consistent, probably less than 40% winning the point.

Not bad on you, but you have likely only seen vids of Div 4 and Div 5 players. 80-90 percent of players are in this class. Div 5 city runs from 1000 to 1300. Div 4 runs from 1300 to 1700 USATT level.

Even 1700 players have huge holes and will not be super consistent being aggressive. I think it is more of a level thing than an equipment thing. Even a 1700 2x inverted player trying to play like Ma Long is gunna look real inconsistent silly. OX players just LOVE opponents like that who will gift them free points and errors left and right.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I know this is an old thread but i'd like to share my experience playing with a clipper like blade with ox pip which is tibhar force pro black. I was surprised when i first slapped an ox coming from a def blade. My ox rubber is jengking from pimpleholics. I really like the control of this blade with ox from slow to medium to medium fast and maybe upto fast drive/spin to my ox. Another advantage is that it gives me the speed needed to attack with the inverted side and blocking is superb since the blade is a bit stiff. The reversal is very decent too.
The downside is when i face a very fast loop drive or a flat drive. It tends to bounce very hard that my balls are going long but not so much.
This is so far the best setup I've tried for my play style but I'm still in search of a blade that is almost the same speed with clipper or a notch slower that has a capability to flex/absorb some speed when chopping or blocking with the ox side. So suggestions are welcome.
You can see some of my games on this link:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwjY6FodUatqIEyQjtRusZw