Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Hungary

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
World Team Cup 2011 - 3rd - 6th November, Magdeburg, Germany

Well if we couldn't get enough of last months table tennis action which included the European Championships, Chinese National Championships and the awesome ITTF Pro Tours, we have new competition in store! Tomorrow begins the World Team Cup!

The best meet yet again in Germany for the World Team Cup! Below is the list of the top 8 seeds playing. This is going to be a big tournament so lets get started and start discussing the seeds. We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular event!

Boll.jpg

Timo Boll has just announced his withdrawal from the World Team Cup due to an irritation in the lumbar part of the spine. Ruwen Filus has replaced Boll. Therefore China go into the tournament as the clear favourite despite the missing of World Champion Zhang Jike who has also been forced to withdraw from the tournament for health reasons of his back. Alternatively China's former World Champion in 2007 Wang Liqin replaces Zhang Jike.

Michael Maze has had to pull out of the World Cup too!

Top Team Seeds (MEN):
  1. China - Ma Long, Wang Hao, Ma Lin, Xu Xin, Wang Liqin (Coach: Liu Guoliang)
  2. Korea Republic - Joo Se Hyuk, Oh Sang Eun, Ryu Seung Min, Kim Min Seok (Coach: Kyu Yoo Nam)
  3. Germany - Dimitrij Ovtcharov, Bastian Steger, Patrick Baum, Ruwen Filus (Coach: Joerg Rosskopf)
  4. Japan - Kai Yoshida, Koki Niwa, Kenta Matsudaira (Coach: Yoshihito Miyazaki)
  5. Hong Kong - China - Tang Peng, Jiang Tianyu, Ko Lai Chak, Li Ching, Chu Yang Leung (Coach: Chan Kong)
  6. Russia - Alexey Smirnov, Alexander Shibaev, Kirill Skachkov, Igor Rubtsov, Russ Kuzmin (Coach: Vlasov Rusmc)
  7. Belarus - Vladimir Samsonov, Evgueni Chtchetinine, Pavel Platonov, Vitaly Nekhvedovich (Coach: Alexandre Petkevitch)
  8. Hungary - Jakab Janos, Daniel Kosiba, Adam Pattantyus -
sport1.jpg

Top Team Seeds (Women):
  1. China
  2. Japan
  3. Singapore
  4. Hong Kong - China
  5. Korea Republic
  6. The Netherlands
  7. Germany
  8. Hungary
Ding Ning, the new #1 female player, leads the Chinese Team!
ding_ning2_01_11_11_Large.jpg

Photo by: Remy Gros

So what are your predictions for this event? Will it be a clean sweep for China? I'm once again looking forward to see the performance of in form Ma Long! Who will get:

1st?
2nd?
3rd spots?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
No it's Wang Liqin! Not Yan An .... very bad that Timo withdraw ...I would love to see him against a chinese top player
Bei tischtennis.de steht, dass WLQ und Chen Qi wahrscheinlich keine große Rolle spielen werden und es wahrscheinlicher ist, dass Yan An spielen wird, woher hast du die Info mit WLQ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Well, Timo will most likely recover before the Single's World Cup so you'll get your matches against the Chinese top players!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
hmmm its unfortunate that Boll withdrew, but lets be honest, if a country can muster the ability to bring one player that can challenge China in table tennis, the chances of bring enough to actually beat a team of the top Chinese is an even small possibility.

Hopefully this doesn't affect Boll for the Singles world cup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Why doesn't Chen qi play? He is so good, he simply destroys european players...

He is good, and for the most part beats all the non-Chinese players the majority of the time. But what the Chinese team cares about most is how well their players do against the key obstacles to them winning, and in this regard, Chen Qi does significantly worse against Boll and Samsonov then the other Chinese players. I think its the main reason why Chen Qi never was able to rise up to the true elites within the main Chinese national team.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
He is good, and for the most part beats all the non-Chinese players the majority of the time. But what the Chinese team cares about most is how well their players do against the key obstacles to them winning, and in this regard, Chen Qi does significantly worse against Boll and Samsonov then the other Chinese players. I think its the main reason why Chen Qi never was able to rise up to the true elites within the main Chinese national team.

Yep, the same can be said for Hao Shuai. Even though he is relatively strong when the Chinese team plays trials, he just has more difficulty dealing with the best non-Chinese players. Because of that he doesn't get to play as much as the others I guess and his ranking stays where it is. He's been part of the selection for a really long time (Maze's comeback against him was in 2005 I believe) but never really had a prominent role.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Ma Long and Wang Hao shouldn't lose a match I think, so it would be a clean sweep for China. I hope WLQ gets to play alot :)

Yup, it is a mouth watering prospect. Like you, I hope gets to play the doubles too. I just think that he's a great doubles player. If he does, I think he'll partner Xu Xin. Da Li is back! hehehe

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Japanese team is very lacking...I appreciate Korea's team, they seem quite an even matchup for Germany without Boll, it's a shame Suss is no longer on the scene as backup. Have to back China at the end of the day though, that's a monster team. Have to see if anyone can pick Ma Lin off again :p