Who's right? Fan Zhendong or Kristian Karlsson?

Who's right?

• Fan Zhendong

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Kristian Karlsson

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Today Fan Zhendong met Kristian Karlsson in the Hungarian Open and this point took place below...

Who's right here, Fan Zhendong or Kristian Karlsson? Fan Zhendong is claiming the ball bounced twice....?

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FITTFWorld%2Fvideos%2F2061131197250206%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
twice on the table after the serve? or twice in karlsson's paddle? if its the latter then with the new rule the play is continuing normally if I remember correctly
there's a rule that allows you to hit the ball twice? There was a replay later on from FZD's perspective more or less, Karlsson's racket was very close to the ball, but the ball's rotation didn't change at all. Its path however appeared to bend very very slightly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I know of no such rule. I'd be interested to know more about this rule in that case. Anyone?

there's a rule that allows you to hit the ball twice? There was a replay later on from FZD's perspective more or less, Karlsson's racket was very close to the ball, but the ball's rotation didn't change at all. Its path however appeared to bend very very slightly.

This user has no status.
I know this rule since i am a club umpire. If the ball has a double bounce on your racket. As long as the ball is hit below the wrist and you are doing one continuous motion. The hit is still considered as legal and in play. I first thought this was a weird rule, but thats how it goes. :confused: So Karlson probably knew the rule and FZD didn't.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I know this rule since i am a club umpire. If the ball has a double bounce on your racket. As long as the ball is hit below the wrist and you are doing one continuous motion. The hit is still considered as legal and in play. I first thought this was a weird rule, but thats how it goes. :confused: So Karlson probably knew the rule and FZD didn't.
the alleged double hit wasn't made in a single motion, the first contact was during the backhand flick over the table, the second one is what you see on the OP's replay. Here's a better replay:
https://youtu.be/q5NO5XUDLAg?t=1363

This user has no status.
the alleged double hit wasn't made in a single motion, the first contact was during the backhand flick over the table, the second one is what you see on the OP's replay. Here's a better replay:
https://youtu.be/q5NO5XUDLAg?t=1363

Now that i see this new angle, Yes then the point definitely goes to FZD. Thanks for clearing it up.:D

Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A player strikes the ball if he or she touches it in play with his or her racket, held
in the hand, or with his or her racket hand below the wrist.

if an opponent deliberately strikes the ball twice in succession;

The quotes include the ITTF rules verbage regarding a double hit.

Reactions: guybr50
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Other angle via Ma Short TT

Whoa! Fan Zhendong a cheater? Just look at that smirk at 0:14 min after he turns away from Karlsson. :(
Didn´t expect him to find the necessity to do that...
[Emoji6]
Damn, these Jedi Mind tricks, again...
However, fantastic reaction by both.

Last edited: