How can I copy Ma Long's playing style?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm using S7 as my phone and I will buy tripod tomorrow. It is really important to record myself and see my errors. BTW I am losing my training matches to players worse than me but I win matches who play better than me. And I can't attack. I chop/lob and lose. I am really good at spins and flicks but I can't do them in match. What should I do to improve my attack? I can't attack to easy balls too.

I rather see you train
post a 30 mins multi ball training session with 3 different drills
each drills of 10 mins with 300 balls continue not stop and a quick "top up the bucket" and continue

This to me will show if you stand a chance or not

300 balls is being nice to you
500 balls is my benchmark

This user has no status.
He is a PRO
he needs to face criticism in the public
it is part of training for being PRO

most Pro's learn then from PR companies
I did it too

I am not international pro. We call the players pro who play in turkish leagues. Of course I am not like Ma Long or Fan Zhendong. You know I am not international pro. :D I am not in top 10 u15 turkey.

This user has no status.
I rather see you train
post a 30 mins multi ball training session with 3 different drills
each drills of 10 mins with 300 balls continue not stop and a quick "top up the bucket" and continue

This to me will show if you stand a chance or not

300 balls is being nice to you
500 balls is my benchmark

We are not doing multiball these days. There are so many players in the training and our coach can not do every player multiball. If I do, I will post a vid.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
For a moment I thought you were Alpay.
I am Alpay. He started at 14 and wants to be wr 200 by age 20, I started at 43 and want to be usatt 220 at 52. Whose dream is more ridiculous, his or mine? Not much difference really,

Reactions: matzreenzi

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
but like Dizzee Rascal says -- you got to have a dream, cause if you ain't got a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I am Alpay. He started at 14 and wants to be wr 200 by age 20, I started at 43 and want to be usatt 220 at 52. Whose dream is more ridiculous, his or mine? Not much difference really,

Your being USATT 220 is fine by me - you have a lot of self-hurting to do to make yourself play that bad. But on a more serious note, I have seen you play. Even if you troll, I know where you live. I can't say the same for Alpay. So I can ignore stupid questions from you more easily. When I see him play, I will likely be able to do the same.

This user has no status.

I started at 10. I started training seriously at 14. I think it is not late too much. But it is late again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
I started at 10. I started training seriously at 14. I think it is not late too much. But it is late again.

Hi Alpay - I'm joining this discussion late. I have to say I feel a bit sorry for you. You have big dreams, but the general vibe of this discussion has been to dismiss your dreams and tell you it's not possible to reach WR200.

Whilst your dream is very, very difficult to reach (and is probably unlikely, as you have so much stacked against you), it is not impossible. And it's great to have big dreams. If everybody gave up because something was very hard and highly unlikely, nothing great would have ever happened in the history of humankind. So absolutely nothing wrong with having big dreams.

What I would say, is that you should refine your goals. Sure, keep your overall goal of WR200 in your mind, but don't fixate on it. Create some more reachable goals which can lead to your overall goal. So instead of focusing on being WR200, your first goal may be to compete with and beat the best players in your club. Next goal may be to compete with and beat the best players in your town/city. Next goal may be to compete with and beat the best juniors in the country. Next goal may be to compete with and beat the best adult players in the country. If you get to this stage (and it is a big IF), then maybe, just maybe you could realise your ultimate dream of being WR200.

Having these smaller goals will give you a bigger sense of achievement. If your only goal is to be WR200, you'll probably always feel like you're failing. And at the end of your journey, even if you don't reach your ultimate dream of being WR200, you probably will have become a pretty great table tennis player (by most people's standards) and you will have spent thousands and thousands of hours playing the greatest sport in the world. That to me sounds like a good life!

So keep playing. Push yourself. See how great you can become. But most of all just enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Alpay I only STARTED training properly when I was 18 and a half and I went to 2 world championships. So if I can do that then for sure you can achieve your goals. Also with this new world ranking system you need to participate in a great number of tournaments if you want to be ranked in world top 200. I think really you need a lot of international exposure and to be active on the international stage to achieve a high world ranking. This means really committing to being a true professional athlete (competing in full times league matches and training and participating in world class tournaments), this is the big step up from being a professional in your country to being one of the big shots. That's my small opinion anyway, hopefully I'm qualified to give it haha

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi Alpay - I'm joining this discussion late. I have to say I feel a bit sorry for you. You have big dreams, but the general vibe of this discussion has been to dismiss your dreams and tell you it's not possible to reach WR200.

Whilst your dream is very, very difficult to reach (and is probably unlikely, as you have so much stacked against you), it is not impossible. And it's great to have big dreams. If everybody gave up because something was very hard and highly unlikely, nothing great would have ever happened in the history of humankind. So absolutely nothing wrong with having big dreams.

What I would say, is that you should refine your goals. Sure, keep your overall goal of WR200 in your mind, but don't fixate on it. Create some more reachable goals which can lead to your overall goal. So instead of focusing on being WR200, your first goal may be to compete with and beat the best players in your club. Next goal may be to compete with and beat the best players in your town/city. Next goal may be to compete with and beat the best juniors in the country. Next goal may be to compete with and beat the best adult players in the country. If you get to this stage (and it is a big IF), then maybe, just maybe you could realise your ultimate dream of being WR200.

Having these smaller goals will give you a bigger sense of achievement. If your only goal is to be WR200, you'll probably always feel like you're failing. And at the end of your journey, even if you don't reach your ultimate dream of being WR200, you probably will have become a pretty great table tennis player (by most people's standards) and you will have spent thousands and thousands of hours playing the greatest sport in the world. That to me sounds like a good life!

So keep playing. Push yourself. See how great you can become. But most of all just enjoy the journey.

That's the best advise anyone can give you right there.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm using S7 as my phone and I will buy tripod tomorrow. It is really important to record myself and see my errors. BTW I am losing my training matches to players worse than me but I win matches who play better than me. And I can't attack. I chop/lob and lose. I am really good at spins and flicks but I can't do them in match. What should I do to improve my attack? I can't attack to easy balls too.

I think there is a lot of information in this post. Good information.

I wish you well and I look forward to seeing footage of how you play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Alpay I only STARTED training properly when I was 18 and a half and I went to 2 world championships. So if I can do that then for sure you can achieve your goals. Also with this new world ranking system you need to participate in a great number of tournaments if you want to be ranked in world top 200. I think really you need a lot of international exposure and to be active on the international stage to achieve a high world ranking. This means really committing to being a true professional athlete (competing in full times league matches and training and participating in world class tournaments), this is the big step up from being a professional in your country to being one of the big shots. That's my small opinion anyway, hopefully I'm qualified to give it haha

And we all know you went full time into tt
yes, maybe your stats is no where near WR200 (that is because you understand TT as you have years of experience)
We all know you played more than 9 hours a week when you are serious and with no multiball?
To me how you train = the potential of how good one can become

I guess from where I engage with kids, they seem to think the world is an easy place (inherit from home) but for them to make it to the top in a domestic structure, they would need to perform and sacrifice more than they peers and this isn't fair and sure isn't easy.
The odds will always be against you, but if one does not have a clue of what needs to be done, then it is all just a nice dream to have and sooner or later one would wake up.

There is no different to football
If you want to be the next Messi, guess want you need to do from a young age and the sacrafices
Heck, if you want to be a brain surgeon - same sacrafices at age 15 already

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think the OP was about whether he could copy ML style, correct? Then the WR200 comes next which was his intention by copying ML style, which many people considered as too ambitious because of too much money, time, devotion, etc.

I think OP claims he is a PRO, but which is not
OP claims he wants to have ideas on how to make it, but even providing it we see no plans of following with its target (9 hours a week was the sign)
I don't think it is ambitous, but if OP has no intentions of working hard, then we all wasting our time here trying to keep a kid happy

If it would help OP
South African top player Shane Overmeyer started holding a bat at age 13
then from there, 4 to 5 hours a day (after school and whole afternoon and evening) he would train
at age 20 (or so) government sent him to Sweden for 2 years
after that he was WR 300 to 400

so yes, it is possible, but Shane himself knew what needs to be done, he had a coach that guided him correctly.
No style to copy and only focus on the table.
Heck, he never had good equipment or shoes, he would reverse the rubber (cut it and glue it front to back) to continue using the rubber (so double the lifespan)

Even now Shane doesn't think of him as a PRO, and 2 weeks ago at age 35 or 36, he came back to train for international.
I'm busy arranging for him to train at one of the top facilities in the world for him to be ready for WTTTC

This user has no status.
Yes you are right. It is a big dream. But my first goal is not wr200. It is too ridicilious for a first goal. My first goal is top 16 u18 and second is national team. After that europe rankings then the world rankings. If I enter the national team it will be more easier than now. Because national team works really hard to compete in the olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Practice.

Yes you are right. It is a big dream. But my first goal is not wr200. It is too ridicilious for a first goal. My first goal is top 16 u18 and second is national team. After that europe rankings then the world rankings. If I enter the national team it will be more easier than now. Because national team works really hard to compete in the olympics.