How can I copy Ma Long's playing style?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Hi,

I want to copy the playing style of Ma Long. And I am playing professionally with my style but I want to try out Ma Long's style. Which methods do you advice?

There are many instructional videos on youtube featuring Ma Long where he demonstrates his footwork and techniques for looping, serving, etc. You can try to emulate his technique. Record yourself doing the same shots, drills. Play your videos and the ones with Ma Long side by side to see the difference and work on eliminating them.

Watch ma long in real competitive matches. Observe how he sets up the point. Practice drills that play out the same way.

Good luck.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How old are you now?

I believe anything is possible if you put your mind into it.

Thanks @vvk1, and can you ask my other question?
Dude, I started training professionally when I was 14 and in a year I started to play professional in my country not international. I am training everyday so hard. Is there a chance to be top 200 wr at 20 years old?​

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Ask a good coach to break down Ma Long's play, i.e. how, when and why he does what he does. And I'm afraid a very, very solid technique, perhaps unattainable unless you train since 5yo as people here mentioned, is absolutely required to emulate a player of that caliber, no getting around that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Thanks @vvk1, and can you ask my other question?
Dude, I started training professionally when I was 14 and in a year I started to play professional in my country not international. I am training everyday so hard. Is there a chance to be top 200 wr at 20 years old?​

Unless you're already 20, there is probably a chance. I am not very familiar with the state of TT in your country. You just need to look at this in a realistic fashion and ask yourself some questions like

* What is my current national ranking? Is it junior national ranking or senior national ranking? How much did it improve in the last couple of years? Is the rate of improvement steady or still increasing? Am I near or inside my country's top 100 players?

* Are there any players in your country who are inside top 200 wr? Or top 300/400/500/close to that level? Do I have opportunities to regularly practice with them? Do I have regular access to coaches who themselves played at your target level?

* Last but not least, will my family be able to support me dedicating my life to the sport full time for the observable future?

If the answers to these questions are mostly yes, then there is definitely a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I guess it takes a Pro (me) to answer another Pro (Alpay)

You are 15 now, and you started at age 14, and you want to play like Ma Long (style) and become world top 200 in 5 years....

I can tell you there are few thousand kids that are hoping to become world top 200 in China, few hundreds of them in Taiwan, Japan and Korea
In China they train since 5 or 6, and train 40 hours a week, for 10 years until they are 15 years old (your age)
That is 20000 hours of high level table tennis training.
In the other three, they do about 30 - 35 hours a week (17500 hours by 15)

how many hours have you put in?

Solution for you
1) I guess you main criteria is you need a lot of money!
2) give up studying and train full time now and spent maybe 5000 USD a month to hire a full time training partner and a coach
3) prepare funding to take part in world junior circuit - go to min 4 a year, that you need another 50 000 USD a year maybe
So you need between 500k to 1 million USD for the next 5 years to have a chance to reach world top 200

I know a player that are 15 now (ranking top 10 in u18) and spend very close to that and he started playing since 5 and he is talented (future top 10 material)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
There are some players inside top 400 wr in my country but they are the top players in turkey and I don't have a chance to play with them unless I enter the national team. I think I am inside top 200 in turkey in seniors. I want to improve my table tennis fastly.

money + many hours of catching up
i think cheapest for you now is to fly to China and train at a centre at 70usd a day - budget 3000 usd a month expense
go there for 2 years