How can I copy Ma Long's playing style?

This user has no status.
It seems that there's a slight misinterpretation of the word pro league between OP and I but I can tell you starting at 14 isn't too bad.

U12 players in Japan who play competitively practice 20 hours a week on average. Although 90% of TT population in Japan starts at the age of 13 (after primary school), there have been no instance that those 90% winning any national titles. That gap tends to widen as performing well in U12 is crucial for obtaining schalarship and sponsors.

Having said that, some of them do carry on to become pro player in Japan so it's not impossible to have reasonably successful career. Calderano started late too right? And Harimoto doesn't practice long hours either so it's not all hours I guess. I hope you'd become a player you want and become a top player in Turkey.

When did Calderano start?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
you cant copy his style. if its that easy to copy someone, then everbody would do it. your physique, your mental, your reflexes, in toher words, your everything is different from everybody. you can watch his videos, try to imitate his shots and his positioning. even though you did it perfectly, you still cant copy him. its his unique style developed from his childhood.

try not to copy a player. try to be better, develop your own style.

Reactions: RidTheKid
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
One thing I have noticed in traveling to China and playing and visiting a provincial training facility is that there are a lot of players who play the same general style as Ma Long, with strokes that even look similar. It is just that Ma Long is better at it than everyone else. He is more talented and he worked harder and he had ideal opportunities to make the most of his talent.

Chinese professional players start young and they are trained intensively through a set of techniques that are easily enough found on the web. In contrast to what you might see or read here, there is not all that much about it that is secret. But, to do it you need coaches, high level partners, and a lot of time. Many hours per day. In China, the players who are selected (good enough) are effectively professional by age 12-13, as they go to special schools where they live on site and train intensively against other equally talented youngersters, and at every stage there is survival of the fittest. I think that style can emerge fairly naturally from the right equipment and training.

Can you do that in Turkey? I have no idea. I know it can't happen in the US. But if not, what you can do is watch as much video of him as you can and simply try to emulate as much of it as possible.

Just remember that in order to win you need to keep the ball on the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Alpay
Good to have so much confidence in yourself, but life isn't fair

you think you grew alot in the first year, that is normal
from level 0 to 2 is 200% growth
but by the time you go from 2 to 3, 3 to 4 etc will take longer and longer and longer
most players can't exceed a certain level and that's where ma long is better than the thousands of other ma long styles
that's also where some top players in China can't become top 7 in the team and just end up being practice partners.

As I said success comes with a lot of factors other than just your passion or natural built talent
It requires a lot of money - which you don't have
It requires you to start very young - which you don't have
It requires you to be coached correctly - which i'm not sure if you have - heck for you to even ask such question in the forum means to me you have the wrong coaching support structure to groom you to proper PRO level.
It requires you to be in a full time training centre - which I think you don't have - you have too much time on this forum already.....
It requires TT EQ, IQ and all the QQ, which with 1 year, you are still young and i'm sure you still have a lot to learn of how spin really works.
It requires mastering all of the latest technique - of 1 year, I'm sure you hardly have any of these techniques mastered - heck even Ma Long has flaws that he is still trying to work on.

Any ways, your top player in Turkey is in the top 200.
Ahmet Li was wr113 in Dec, 192 now.
When he was 15, was he playing better than you?

Ibrahim Gunduz was wr289 in dec, 160 now
same, when he was 15, was he playing better than you?

If they were playing better than you now - you have a lot of catching up to do

Right now, U15 in Turkey - what rank are you?
I'm sure the above 2 players where top 3 in U15, U18, U21 and seniors for them to be top players in Turkey
If you are outside top 5 U15, you have a lot of catching up to do
Again top 5 and top 10 is only 5 numbers, but from skill set it is maybe "double the level" different.

Btw, just to justify how pro i am versus you,
Current WR15 number 1 - Feng Yi-Hsin of TPE
I did a mutliball session for him before and know how he plays
http://results.ittf.link/index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=list&listid=78&Itemid=218

here is a pic, i'm the one in a shirt
Feng is on my right
His father is a doctor and hired one of my friends - coach Ma Zigang of Heilongjiang Provincial Team to coach Feng, at a cost of USD3000 a month + accommodation/meal/travel allowance
Feng also trains at one of my other friends - Coach Chiang's team, with few other Chinese Taipei stars.
1.jpg
he isn't the best player, the little one standing on the right back, he is only WR18 now in U18, but that is because he plays more senior than junior.
He is better than U18 WR1, this young man is called Lin Yun Ju.
He plays in China Jia A league and has a good average
he was injured in the teams of WJTTC, so he didn't play in singles, else he was a medal contender
He is only16 years old now and already have wins versus Chuang Chih Yuan
He stop schooling at age 13 and plays full time (his father is a professors, so he does home school in the evening)

maybe you should send us a video on how you play, and we can start from there.
Maybe a short term goal is to try and reach U15 WR300 first

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Allplay, did you outline what your current daily training routine is? I think that would be worth doing.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

I am doing matches with players better than me and try to win them. We don't do multiball everyday. I do combinations. My daily traning is 9 hours in these two weeks.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Alpay
Good to have so much confidence in yourself, but life isn't fair

you think you grew alot in the first year, that is normal
from level 0 to 2 is 200% growth
but by the time you go from 2 to 3, 3 to 4 etc will take longer and longer and longer
most players can't exceed a certain level and that's where ma long is better than the thousands of other ma long styles
that's also where some top players in China can't become top 7 in the team and just end up being practice partners.

As I said success comes with a lot of factors other than just your passion or natural built talent
It requires a lot of money - which you don't have
It requires you to start very young - which you don't have
It requires you to be coached correctly - which i'm not sure if you have - heck for you to even ask such question in the forum means to me you have the wrong coaching support structure to groom you to proper PRO level.
It requires you to be in a full time training centre - which I think you don't have - you have too much time on this forum already.....
It requires TT EQ, IQ and all the QQ, which with 1 year, you are still young and i'm sure you still have a lot to learn of how spin really works.
It requires mastering all of the latest technique - of 1 year, I'm sure you hardly have any of these techniques mastered - heck even Ma Long has flaws that he is still trying to work on.

Any ways, your top player in Turkey is in the top 200.
Ahmet Li was wr113 in Dec, 192 now.
When he was 15, was he playing better than you?

Ibrahim Gunduz was wr289 in dec, 160 now
same, when he was 15, was he playing better than you?

If they were playing better than you now - you have a lot of catching up to do

Right now, U15 in Turkey - what rank are you?
I'm sure the above 2 players where top 3 in U15, U18, U21 and seniors for them to be top players in Turkey
If you are outside top 5 U15, you have a lot of catching up to do
Again top 5 and top 10 is only 5 numbers, but from skill set it is maybe "double the level" different.

Btw, just to justify how pro i am versus you,
Current WR15 number 1 - Feng Yi-Hsin of TPE
I did a mutliball session for him before and know how he plays
http://results.ittf.link/index.php?option=com_fabrik&view=list&listid=78&Itemid=218

here is a pic, i'm the one in a shirt
Feng is on my right
His father is a doctor and hired one of my friends - coach Ma Zigang of Heilongjiang Provincial Team to coach Feng, at a cost of USD3000 a month + accommodation/meal/travel allowance
Feng also trains at one of my other friends - Coach Chiang's team, with few other Chinese Taipei stars.
View attachment 15242
he isn't the best player, the little one standing on the right back, he is only WR18 now in U18, but that is because he plays more senior than junior.
He is better than U18 WR1, this young man is called Lin Yun Ju.
He plays in China Jia A league and has a good average
he was injured in the teams of WJTTC, so he didn't play in singles, else he was a medal contender
He is only16 years old now and already have wins versus Chuang Chih Yuan
He stop schooling at age 13 and plays full time (his father is a professors, so he does home school in the evening)

maybe you should send us a video on how you play, and we can start from there.
Maybe a short term goal is to try and reach U15 WR300 first

There are some players in Turkey, they are playing at Turkish Super League or First Division like Ahmet Li and Ibrahim Gunduz. I try to improve my table tennis and catch up them. They are better than them when they was 15. If I catch them will I be in first 200wr?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am doing matches with players better than me and try to win them. We don't do multiball everyday. I do combinations. My daily traning is 9 hours in these two weeks.

Hey, 9 hours of match play a day. Okay. How many days a week?

I hope you achieve your dreams. It is possible. But not an easy go to attain.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
And how did Harimoto do wr11 at 14years old? I think its possible to be in wr200 at age 20 with 6 years of playing and working hard. I am not only playing table tennis,I am living with table tennis.

Of course it is possible, because obviously harimoto did it. But ask yourself your own question - what exactly did harimoto do to get where he is? That is a much better question than how you can play like ma long. Forget about ma long and do what harimoto did, or the closest you can get where you live.

This user has no status.
Of course it is possible, because obviously harimoto did it. But ask yourself your own question - what exactly did harimoto do to get where he is? That is a much better question than how you can play like ma long. Forget about ma long and do what harimoto did, or the closest you can get where you live.
Yes dude. I think if I do my best I can get a good ranking. And dear friends, do you think making the training full of matches good? Because I learn while I losing the matches and I don't lose again like before.