How can I copy Ma Long's playing style?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes dude. I think if I do my best I can get a good ranking. And dear friends, do you think making the training full of matches good? Because I learn while I losing the matches and I don't lose again like before.

No one builds technique by playing matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
No one builds technique by playing matches.

NextLevel is quite correct. In order to achieve your table tennis goals, Alpay, you are going to have to practice, practice, and practice, as though table tennis is to become your full time job, and right now you have more tools at your disposal in terms of video cameras, coaching, YouTube and even peers to practice with than when there were few coaches and if you were fortunate someone might film your practices and matches with an 8 mm. or 16 mm. movie camera.

I would also suggest that you forget about becoming a Ma Long clone and instead concentrate on becoming an Alpay with your own distinctive and effective style. I would suggest too that you focus as well on your studies, as there is much more in terms of learning than will gratify you once your table tennis career, should it begin and let's hope it does, is over.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
And how did Harimoto do wr11 at 14years old? I think its possible to be in wr200 at age 20 with 6 years of playing and working hard. I am not only playing table tennis,I am living with table tennis.

I'm not sure if Harimoto's case is any use as he's definitely an outlier.

Harimoto's parents were full time coach at Japanese club in Sendai so he picked up a racket at age 2. What's really scary about Harimoto is, up until Hopes (U12) his practice hours were lot less than other players in his age. Around 2 to 3 hours per day. And that's with his club so he picks up balls just like everyone else and doesn't receive any personal lessons. That's a stark contrast between him and player like Mima Ito who has been practicing 7 hours a day every day with her mum all her life.

Even now that he's with Elite Academy, he still goes to school from 9 to 16 and spends about only 4 hours per day which is also a lot less than players his age who only go to school in the morning. God knows how good he'll get once he becomes full time player. Granted he's recieved top level coaching and he was born to play TT but there are many many others who were in similar circumstance and half as good as him.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Alplay, you sound like a smart kid and I hope you achieve your goals and dreams. I would really love to see some footage of your match play. Is it possible to make a video of a match you feel you play well in and show it to us? I am ready to be inspired. :)

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
In other words, just because something is possible doesn't mean it can actually happen. Otherwise I would have won the Powerball at least 15 times already. Which is about as likely as any one table tennis player getting as good as harimoto.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
@NL i assume you mean no one learns technique *only* playing matches? Obviously playing matches is important too, a skill to learn in itself.

This user has no status.
Alplay, you sound like a smart kid and I hope you achieve your goals and dreams. I would really love to see some footage of your match play. Is it possible to make a video of a match you feel you play well in and show it to us? I am ready to be inspired. :)
I dont have a tripod now. When I buy it I will record myself in training and championship matches. I will upload to YouTube them and I will share it with TTD forums. :)

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I dont have a tripod now. When I buy it I will record myself in training and championship matches. I will upload to YouTube them and I will share it with TTD forums. :)

A tripod is a nice thing. But you don't need a tripod to record matches. You just need to point the camera and film.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I remember at a certain teen age thinking I was probably going to get really good. Then I played a tournament match against someone just a couple of years older who WAS ALREADY really good. (Danny Seemiller). That was a good reality check. I had no idea what I didn't know until then.

By the way, at this time I was without question tbe best junior player in my state, and very probably the best player in the state period. So my cockiness had some basis. But the beatdown Danny gave me was epic and mind boggling for me. For him it was an early round match against a nobody, at best a brief wsrmup along the way to later rounds where someone might be credible threat. I wasn't a threat. I was happy he seemed to be paying attention. But he really didn't need to.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
... why not just use a cell phone and ask somebody to hold it for you, you can also use a shoe and chair and use it as tripod.

since you are serious about improving, I think its a very important step to start recording yourself and analyzing .. and you can throw us a bone in the process ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Forget about emulating other player's styles and if u want to improve spend more time training than asking others on the internet. Asking others who dont know you aand havent seen you play is a waste of time. Even if you cant go to training, start shadow training at home or practice your serves

This user has no status.
I'm using S7 as my phone and I will buy tripod tomorrow. It is really important to record myself and see my errors. BTW I am losing my training matches to players worse than me but I win matches who play better than me. And I can't attack. I chop/lob and lose. I am really good at spins and flicks but I can't do them in match. What should I do to improve my attack? I can't attack to easy balls too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
There are some players in Turkey, they are playing at Turkish Super League or First Division like Ahmet Li and Ibrahim Gunduz. I try to improve my table tennis and catch up them. They are better than them when they was 15. If I catch them will I be in first 200wr?

There is maybe a more chance of you winning the lottery than for you to catch up
What is your U15 national ranking, we can start from there
are you top 10 in your country yet?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There is maybe a more chance of you winning the lottery than for you to catch up
What is your U15 national ranking, we can start from there
are you top 10 in your country yet?

Let him be, Tony. If he is serious, he will post video. At this point, we are feeding him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
And how did Harimoto do wr11 at 14years old? I think its possible to be in wr200 at age 20 with 6 years of playing and working hard. I am not only playing table tennis,I am living with table tennis.

how he did it, I guess you are not reading my posts
1) money!!!! you think he got there without spending any money?
2) time - you think he is studying still?
3) coach

If you do not have a good coach, you can be the next harimoto and you won't get far
Because simply with you asking all these questions in the forum is a sign you don't have a proper coach next to you
Also, training 9 hours a week and you call yourself a Pro?
When I was training I was doing 35-40 hours a week and I was not a PRO