This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
A 13 should be considered an en event.

TD does have discretional powers. But why?

Kid gunna do a lot of tourneys anyway... II would say enter U13 if it is there, what ever rating level near kids level, and maybe Open. That is plenty for first tourney.

Not sure how I feel about someone entering Open at their very first tournament, especially a kid. He's going to be destroyed at any decent size tournament. Heck, I'm still hesitant to enter Open at Westchester, unless you enjoy being obliterated by 2400+ players.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Made by a local gun in DC/MD/VA... the DMV.

PongMobile

USATT is supposed to list all the sanctioned ones.

Howard County runs one every month, MDTTC runs one almost every month DC club runs one every 4 months, Potomac runs one every few months.... then further north is the Baltimore area.. the Circuit.... south is Triangle NC, often.

Reactions: ttdad
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Not sure how I feel about someone entering Open at their very first tournament, especially a kid. He's going to be destroyed at any decent size tournament. Heck, I'm still hesitant to enter Open at Westchester, unless you enjoy being obliterated by 2400+ players.

Depends on the tourney how high level player you run into. Often it is just a 2200 or lower. Doesn't matter. Winning right away shouldn't be the goal. At some point, kid is gunna discover he isn't better than everyone. He will see first hand what better players do to lesser players and it will be valuable.

That is kinda like the parents decision in teaching kid to swim.. spend months with floats... or toss kid into a 12x12 deep pool.

says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
Need help again from our experts. My son's game is developing nicely.
Quick refresher - He was playing with YSE and Xiom vega Intro. He has done very well with this setup and advanced to Vega Pro(FH) and Euro (BH). He can play all the strokes (drive, push, topspin, loop, flick, smash, lob etc.) very well with consistency/accuracy close to table and he is pretty good at topspin from faraway from table. The only thing we don't practice much is chops/defensive style, I would say he knows basics of defensive play. We are working on combining all these elements like in a game situation. He did not play any rated tournaments yet, he won a couple of local charity tournaments for U13 group. Also his coach (who worked with him last winter 1 hr/week for 3 months) went to China in March so it's just me practicing with him till now. The coach just got back now and we will probably start coaching again soon. He will be practicing more come cooler weather.

Need suggestions for next blade with similar characteristics as YSE. I want to keep Xiom Pro and Euro but adv the blade in the next few months.
I want to keep weight relatively low. I like YSE a lot but other Yasaka blades are kind of heavy.
I want good quality/durability/comfort.
Based on the ongoing discussions I have 3 in mind.

1. Stiga Azalea Offensive (Yogi is a fan of this blade)
2. TSP Swat/Swat power
3. Xiom blades (I like their quality- specially rubbers, I am reading that the blade quality is very good too - not sure which one, maybe Offensive S but seems like too close to YSE, maybe Solo or Fuga but most are kind of heavy- maybe head size is bigger, is there an advantage of bigger head size?)

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Need suggestions for next blade with similar characteristics as YSE. I want to keep Xiom Pro and Euro but adv the blade in the next few months.
I want to keep weight relatively low. I like YSE a lot but other Yasaka blades are kind of heavy.
I want good quality/durability/comfort.
Based on the ongoing discussions I have 3 in mind.

1. Stiga Azalea Offensive (Yogi is a fan of this blade)
2. TSP Swat/Swat power
3. Xiom blades (I like their quality- specially rubbers, I am reading that the blade quality is very good too - not sure which one, maybe Offensive S but seems like too close to YSE, maybe Solo or Fuga but most are kind of heavy- maybe head size is bigger, is there an advantage of bigger head size?)

Hi again ttdad, congratulations on your son's progress!
I think you're on the right track in choosing his next blade and sticking to his current rubbers.

I back up and highly recommend all the blades you've mentioned, Stiga Azalea OFF and TSP Swat (regular) and will also add OSP Virtuoso and Nittaku Acoustic to your list, though more expensive. All would be excellent step-ups regardless of price. I'd also suggest you call the retailers to request your desired weight for the blade you choose.

I'd also recommend Xiom Offensive S and Butterfly Petr Korbel but both are usually pretty heavy, unless you manage to find one that's doesn't weigh too much by calling retailers around.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
I was only looking at all wood options. Any good composite options I need to consider? Thanks for the replies

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I was only looking at all wood options. Any good composite options I need to consider? Thanks for the replies

I'd probably stick to all-wood blades that are a bit faster than the YSE at this point like the ones you, Carl and I listed.

One composite blade that's not carbon which gave me a great wood feeling with good control and feel and is a step up in speed is the Butterfly Timo Boll CAF. Another is the Butterfly Ai Fukuhara ZLF Pro used by Tomokazu Harimoto when he was very young.

The next step up in speed from these fiber blades are inner carbon blades with limba outers like the Butterfly Innerforce ALC, Victas ZX-Gear In or the Andro Treiber CI OFF.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
I'd probably stick to all-wood blades that are a bit faster than the YSE at this point like the ones you, Carl and I listed.

One composite blade that's not carbon which gave me a great wood feeling with good control and feel and is a step up in speed is the Butterfly Timo Boll CAF. Another is the Butterfly Ai Fukuhara ZLF Pro used by Tomokazu Harimoto when he was very young.

The next step up in speed from these fiber blades are inner carbon blades with limba outers like the Butterfly Innerforce ALC, Victas ZX-Gear In or the Andro Treiber CI OFF.

Yes the Fukuhara blade looks great, although expensive. I know thomas likes Butterfly blades and was wondering about butterfly options. I wonder if it is worth the price compared to the other ones?

Jan 2018
TSP SWAT is 7 layer vs Stiga Azalea is 5. Any advantages or disadvantages between the two? Also in my research I came across Yasaka Balsa battle - very light wt, rated OFF which I think is too big of a jump for a developing player but any opinions or experience with this blade just for knowledge sake? Thanks for the help.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
ttdad,

I would very STROGLY recommend AGAINST a developing topspin offensive player to be using such a balsa blade... they are for combo players and hitters.

In the old days, there were distinct and general differences in 5 and 7 ply blades... and there still is, but many blade makers have figured out how to make great topspinning blades from both 5 and 7 plies.

You have dozens, if not hundreds of suitable possibilities here. Half a dozen great ones already mentioned.

One outstanding one not mentioned here yet is Tibhar Akkad. Those can be had are a lower than average weight.