@ttdad. In Va Beach? I'm in the Richmond 'burbs and play at 2 clubs here.

At Newport News TT club is an Asian lady. She may coach your son (she prefers to coach children rather than adults). She played in China and her father was a coach.

In Richmond is a nice young man that provides lessons.

I'll PM you my contact info.
Chuck

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Yea, the DHS D40+ 3 Star Poly ball is definitively one of the best and most durable balls out there and still the best bang for your buck:

http://ttnpp.com/store/3-stars/869-dhs-new-material-cell-free-dual-40-d40-3-stars-ball-x72-39.html

PS: Managed to get my club to switch to them for training, competitions and tournaments as they are far better and cheaper than what we were using previously: Butterfly G40+ 3* (for competitions) and G40+ Master Quality (for training). Everyone including our best players couldn't be happier!

That ball is presently used on the pro tour.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
I PM my email address to Chuck. Not sure if you got it or not. Maybe you can give the info here on open forum so others can benefit too. What ever you are comfortable with. Thanks for help.

Jan 2018
Thanks to chuckjordan2, I was able to find a coach for my son. Initially he did not want to train with the coach because he wanted to play with me. After explaining to him that I am not a professional and that we will continue to practice he agreed to the training. He had 3 sessions so far, the coach says his basics are very good but he needs to increase his speed and power. She is also working on accuracy and fine tuning some of his strokes. The coach is making him work hard and he gets very tired at the end of the hour long session. I will try to get some videos of his session. Thanks a lot for all the help from all members here.

Reactions: thomas.pong and JST
Jan 2018
TTD members I need your input again. My son has been practicing regularly and enjoying the lessons he has been getting. I noticed the rubbers on his racket are losing grippiness. He is playing with Yasaka sweeden extra and Xiom intro on both sides for 1 year. I asked his coach if I should change the rubbers, she examined it and said yes change it with the same kind and that they are good quality. I will buy new set of Xiom Intro rubbers. We are practicing regularly and also training harder and I feel like the rubbers are losing the grip etc. a little sooner than with less frequent play. I would also like to look into the next step-up from this setup. Please advice if I should get 2 pairs of Xiom Intro rubbers or 1 pair of Intro and another one a little advance? Thanks for help

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi, I would just get the one set of xiom intro rubbers as you do nit know how quickly your son will improve over the duration of his next set of rubbers, and therefore he may need an upgrade to vega pro or something similar in half a years time

I was going to suggest the same thing, just get the same set for now.

Reactions: ttdad
Jan 2018
What would be an upgrade after YSE, something with similar play characteristics. I really like how YSE plays and quality. I looked at other Yasaka blades but they seem kind of heavy. I am very impressed with the Xiom rubbers also, how are Xiom blades as an upgrade to YSE. I am not looking for superfast blades like BTY timoboll ALC, ZLS etc. (I believe those are for Advanced players). Just looking for a step up from the first step.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
What would be an upgrade after YSE, something with similar play characteristics. I really like how YSE plays and quality. I looked at other Yasaka blades but they seem kind of heavy. I am very impressed with the Xiom rubbers also, how are Xiom blades as an upgrade to YSE. I am not looking for superfast blades like BTY timoboll ALC, ZLS etc. (I believe those are for Advanced players). Just looking for a step up from the first step.

I suspect this question is best answered by your son's coach (and whether he needs a blade upgrade at this point).

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I heard that in China children start with Palio CAT as a beginner blade. Not sure how credible this is, but I can say that I played with it and it's really light and good for its purpose. It has a lot of feedback and it's as fast as most 5-ply wood blades ;)

That is a good blade for children. I have one.

Jan 2018
I suspect this question is best answered by your son's coach (and whether he needs a blade upgrade at this point).

I was expecting this answer, I was trying to keep the post short and to the point, but I will provide some more details to explain my question. Long post- sorry.

My sons coach is a very accomplished player and coach. She is one of the top rated players. Apparently she was a provincial player in China several yrs back, she attended a TT school etc. Even now she spends a lot of time in China (atleast 6m in a yr) coaching/training/playing. There is however a communication barrier as she speaks limited English so we don't really talk a lot.

At this time my son is very comfortable with his setup and probably play with it for another 6-12 months. He is only 9 yrs old and can't give much input about the equipment. The reason I am asking this question is I play TT as well and I consider myself an intermediate player. I have not played and rated matches, for that matter I have not played in 17 yrs other than a game here or there. Now I play with my son - mainly practice, not much games. When I started training and playing with him I bought myself a Gambler entrylevel setup ( silver dragon with Zero rubbers). When the rubbers got old in 3-5months I was looking to change them. Then one day I was playing a match with one of my friends who is a decent player I was doing very badly so I borrowed my sons racket and noticed the difference. It was day and night difference, even the Xiom rubbers were still playing very well after 10 months, so I decided I should switch to his setup and whenever I got chance I would play with it. I realized it is very good but maybe a little slow. I was advised last yr on this thread that maybe I should buy the exact setup as my son which could be a back up for him if he needs it. I should have listened to that advise, I am not too concerned about myself.

I want to start playing with the next step up for him so that I can help him decide and figure out the characteristics of the upgrade, and then he will have his backup too. At this level I don't want to spend a lot of money and I dont believe in "EJing" specially when I have all the experts here whom I trust a lot. Thats it for now. Thanks for all the great advise.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I was expecting this answer, I was trying to keep the post short and to the point, but I will provide some more details to explain my question. Long post- sorry.

My sons coach is a very accomplished player and coach. She is one of the top rated players. Apparently she was a provincial player in China several yrs back, she attended a TT school etc. Even now she spends a lot of time in China (atleast 6m in a yr) coaching/training/playing. There is however a communication barrier as she speaks limited English so we don't really talk a lot.

At this level I don't want to spend a lot of money and I dont believe in "EJing" specially when I have all the experts here whom I trust a lot. Thats it for now. Thanks for all the great advise.

I understand your POV, but in your situation I'd probably still ask a coach first (using help from a bilingual club mate if necessary). None of the experts here saw your son play (and you did not see most of them/us play either :rolleyes:).

Reactions: JST and ttdad
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Hi ttdad. I think you're doing wondeful job for your son! I wish my dad was as keen and thoughtful as you when I was kid.

My daughter started playing TT from age 5 to 11, training around 25 hours a week. So I really understand when you say that your son needing an "upgrade" or "step up" in equpments because I felt exactly the same way.

I can safely say that your son would be just fine with same set up for at least another few years.

As your son receives formal coaching and practice regularly, his progress in techniques would far outpace the gain in speed/spin by changing the equipment. I've seen many kids in my club who gain absolutely nothing by changing from Vega Europe and Mark V to the latest ESN rubber or Tenergy. Kids who finish in Top 8 in the national tournaments were just fine with beginner's rubber. And we're talking about U12 national tournament in Japan where thousands of kids who are better than 95% of adults participate.

If your coach thinks he needs faster rubber or your son would be extra motivated by doing so, please go ahead but just giving you an assurance that it won't hurt one bit if you don't.

Reactions: ttdad and NextLevel