says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
I posted this question in another thread but I am thinking maybe I posted in the wrong one, I do not want to hijack another thread, so I am starting a new thread to keep answers relevant. Here we go again.

I recently discovered this forum and this is my first post here. I have a question
Chen Chen. Upsidedowncarl and other experts input is greatly appreciated too. Could you guys give recommendations about choosing a custom bat for my 8 yroldson. I have been teaching him TT for 1 yr now, and he plays with an entry level Stiga premade bat. To give you all an idea of his level - he is comfortable with all basic shots, can loop 70-80% balls on deep push and 50-60% balls with medium underspin. With my research so far I am leaning towards a soft flexible all wood blade with a hard chinese rubber ( thinking of stiga classic, not able to find right rubber, too many options). I dont want to spend a ton - not sure how long he will be interested in playing etc. Right now he is very interested and we practice 30-60 min 3-4 times a week mainly because of my schedule.

Stiga Offensive Classic or Allround Classic should be fine.
Although these 5plys are a bit slow for the current D40+ balls, but for children learning, they are fine and suitable.

Regarding rubber, some basic one should be OK at this level.
I don't recommend put Chinese hard rubber on stiga OC or AC blade. It will be too slow.

But if you really want to try, probably hurricane 3-50 is better choice.

Otherwise I would try something like TSP Ventus Basic, Xiom Musa 3. BH probably Donic Desto F1

Reactions: ttdad
Jan 2018
One of the members recommended this setup which I am sure this is a good setup but is it good for developing players/kids ( beginning- intermediate level)?

"If you want him to play like ma long, give him DHS PG7 with Hurricane 3 Neo on forehand, and for backhand it's up to you."

One of the members recommended this setup which I am sure this is a good setup but is it good for developing players/kids ( beginning- intermediate level)?

"If you want him to play like ma long, give him DHS PG7 with Hurricane 3 Neo on forehand, and for backhand it's up to you."

I would say this is a better setup for current 40+ balls.

Jan 2018
Colestt has a few Gambler options but a lot more options on Gambler site. It is getting good reviews too.

Jan 2018
His hands are not big, if anything a little on the smaller side but he plays comfortably with Stiga preassembled entry level blade. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jan 2018
I'd go with Yinhe Galaxy 896 blade and Dawei 2008XP rubbers on both sides. You can't go wrong with Carl's advice.

Thanks for all the answers, I appreciate you guys help. I don't think Carl posted in this thread yet, actually I am waiting to see what he says. He was giving the above suggestion on another thread - setup under $50.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Around how many grams?

I guess the good old Butterfly Sriver or Yasaka Mark V then. I hear Xiom Vega Intro are good too.

I'm not sure. That said Cole does have light options afaik. He can also build sponge + topsheet combos with weight in mind for around $12.

Not sure how good they are, but Gambler is supposed to have very light weight rubbers that are quite affordable (e.g. the Zero - $20 USD for a set of 2x sheets on amazon!) Review: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-T...30/USATT-Equipment-Review-Gambler-Zero-Rubber

Pretty sure there's no need to break the bank..

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Thanks for all the answers, I appreciate you guys help. I don't think Carl posted in this thread yet, actually I am waiting to see what he says. He was giving the above suggestion on another thread - setup under $50.

Yes, that's what I saw. His advice has been very valuable to me on multiple occasions, and other equipment experts' advice goes in the same direction.

Reactions: Suga D and OhWell
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I'm not sure. That said Cole does have light options afaik. He can also build sponge + topsheet combos with weight in mind for around $12.

Not sure how good they are, but Gambler is supposed to have very light weight rubbers that are quite affordable (e.g. the Zero - $20 USD for a set of 2x sheets on amazon!) Review: https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-T...30/USATT-Equipment-Review-Gambler-Zero-Rubber

Pretty sure there's no need to break the bank..

Definitely no need to break the bank! :)

Reactions: OhWell
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
How big are his hands? There are blades with thinner grip for junior players such as TSP Swat Kids and Award Kids.

I think Butterfly has a kids size handle as well, although it might only be for the European market. All the kids I've seen play in the US play with regular size handles, some of which even seem too big for me. And my hand's not small, but long and skinny. That's why I stick to ST, feels better.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So, does handle size matter to you for your kid? Or do you think he will be fine with whatever handle is already on the blade?

If regular blade:

I would actually get:

1) Donic Appelgren Allplay
2) Stiga Allround Evolution
3) Yasaka Sweden Extra

or you could get

Yinhe W6 if you want to buy from colestt.

I feel like, the kid sounds like he already plays at a decent level for his age. Why not give him decent a nice blade. All of those blades I mentioned have their advantages and would be good for him to learn on and he would be able to play with them for years to come.

As far as rubbers.

Sriver FX might be good.
Yasaka Mark V might be as well.
Vega Intro also sounds like a decent idea.

And those Gambler rubbers are all pretty decent as well.

Personally, I think, perhaps, Vega Intro. But whatever rubber you get, as long as it is moderate and a rubber that he can control, it should be good.

Jan 2018
Thanks all for your input. Appreciate your detailed answer Carl. Thomas.pong gave very similar recommendations. He is comfortable with regular flare handle. Hypothetically if I chose the yasaka blade from the above options, is there any advantage in putting the yasaka rubbers. ( i know it does not work like that but just wondering).
Also a question relating to rubbers - how does the rubber thickness influence the game?
I prefer to get all the ingredients from same place and preferably installed by the store. I was not able to locate the Vega Intro at the regular stores that I know of ie. Paddlepalace, Megaspin.
If these set up options are much superior to the other options that are less expensive like the Gambler or from colestt, I will get it the only problem is my 12 y/o son is getting interested and getting better and will need a better setup soon. Then one for myself later on.:p Thanks for all the help

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks all for your input. Appreciate your detailed answer Carl. Thomas.pong gave very similar recommendations. He is comfortable with regular flare handle. Hypothetically if I chose the yasaka blade from the above options, is there any advantage in putting the yasaka rubbers. ( i know it does not work like that but just wondering).
Also a question relating to rubbers - how does the rubber thickness influence the game?
I prefer to get all the ingredients from same place and preferably installed by the store. I was not able to locate the Vega Intro at the regular stores that I know of ie. Paddlepalace, Megaspin.
If these set up options are much superior to the other options that are less expensive like the Gambler or from colestt, I will get it the only problem is my 12 y/o son is getting interested and getting better and will need a better setup soon. Then one for myself later on.:p Thanks for all the help

The Mark V or the Sriver FX would be totally fine. The Gambler rubbers would be fine as well. Then the issue is, that you would be ordering from two different places.

But if you get the Yinhe Galaxy W-6 with the Gambler rubbers, it would be a great option that you could get from colestt. In theory, you could get one of those for each of you and it would end up taking care of you having a racket and it would mean, automatically, that, for tournament play, your son has a backup. :)

I would say the choice between W6 + Gambler or Sweden Extra + Mark V (or Sriver FX) is a tossup. The Sweden Extra is a little nicer. The Gamblers are a little nicer (for a while). But the Gambler rubbers wear out a lot faster. So even though they are inexpensive, it may not cost that much less in the long run.

But can I make a different suggestion:

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/catalogsearch/result/?q=vega+intro

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/catalogsearch/result/?q=sweden+extra

From TableTennis11 you can get Vega Intro and Sweden Extra. If you got the 3=4 deal on Vega Intro and 2 blades, you would have 2 blades for a great price. Yours would double as your son's backup again. But you would get a much better value/quality ratio.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
The Mark V or the Sriver FX would be totally fine. The Gambler rubbers would be fine as well. Then the issue is, that you would be ordering from two different places.

But if you get the Yinhe Galaxy W-6 with the Gambler rubbers, it would be a great option that you could get from colestt. In theory, you could get one of those for each of you and it would end up taking care of you having a racket and it would mean, automatically, that, for tournament play, your son has a backup. :)

I would say the choice between W6 + Gambler or Sweden Extra + Mark V (or Sriver FX) is a tossup. The Sweden Extra is a little nicer. The Gamblers are a little nicer (for a while). But the Gambler rubbers wear out a lot faster. So even though they are inexpensive, it may not cost that much less in the long run.

But can I make a different suggestion:

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/catalogsearch/result/?q=vega+intro

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/catalogsearch/result/?q=sweden+extra

From TableTennis11 you can get Vega Intro and Sweden Extra. If you got the 3=4 deal on Vega Intro and 2 blades, you would have 2 blades for a great price. Yours would double as your son's backup again. But you would get a much better value/quality ratio.

Also you'll get further discounts from TableTennis11 for these items once you add them to your cart, and fast free international shipping. Don't forget to check the free assembly box as well.

As to your question about rubber thickness, 1.9-2.0mm will give you more control and a tad less speed, 2.1 (Max) more speed and less control. 1.9-2.0 is always a safe bet.