Adapting To New Ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
If with the plastic ball there was "no spin at all" possible how can defenders or defensive players even still exist and win games? There is slightly less spin involved, I'd agree with that. But with decent technique you are still able to generate massive amounts of spin. Can't hear that "argument" anymore, it is nonsense. If your opponent was able to smash all your pushes then because the quality of your pushes was awful. Improve that and don't blame the plastic ball for your mistakes.

Every match I have to play with different balls here in Germany, celluloid, ABS, seamless or even CA. There is no continuity. It’s not only the missing spin, the ball also bounces a lot higher.
It is just a mess.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
<br><br>I'm not getting much coaching. Sure, of course, I do have weaknesses in my technique, e.g. my BH is weak and my FH is not as good as I'd like it to be. I'd also still consider myself a developing player and trying to improve my technique every session. But yeah, of course, I do have to improve my technique.<br><br><br><br>Hey, I may try looking into some new material. Thanks for your suggestions!<br><br><br><br>That's funny. Our club plays with these Hanno balls and imo&nbsp;those are the worst ones concerning spin. I remember when we started playing with that ball... I played against a blocking player to whom I'd win 60-70% but well with the introduction of that ball I lost like 10 times in a row. And I wasn't even close to a victory that time. The ball does make a difference.<br><br><br><br>Of course, you can still generate spin, yeah. And yes, you could always blame the material when instead you could work on yourself. But I think it's not in question that the new ball has changed our game. Certain styles just profit while others don't.<br><br><br>Quite a nice discussion in this thread, thanks guys!<br><br><br>
<br><br><br>

One more thing.
Try using bit more heavier blade. It will really stabilize your overall play.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Fabian said:
Every match I have to play with different balls here in Germany, celluloid, ABS, seamless or even CA. There is no continuity. It’s not only the missing spin, the ball also bounces a lot higher.
It is just a mess.

In the USA, there are players I call "NBS"... that stands for Nittaku Ball Snob ™

These are players who absolutely refuse to play with nothing but Nittaku 3* Premium. When they come to the table, on the first bounce of the first hit, they will check the ball. If it isn't NP40+, they toss it back to you and trudge grumpily back to their gym ball and dig out a NP40+. They would like to prefer to use yours, but will fight a hoard of California Druggies to get one if needed.

I can see where they come from in the sense of demanding a high standard, and a consistent one... but the NP40+ isn't the ball used in even 1/2 the tourneys in USA. Some pretty crappy Seamed 40+ balls are tourney balls. These NBS will TRY to use the tourney ball a week out from tourney.. but why? If it is a crappy ball, it will bounce all over the place anyway.

I am more like Baal in my 40+ playing preferences, as long as the ball is of reasonable quality and consistent bounce, I can quickly adjust. I am not gunna cry about the lack of spin or plastic ball slip on fine contact... You get over that with your impact. You can't get over that if the ball does crazy random crap every bounce.

Of course the NP40+ is the ball among the lowest chance of that crap, but there are other decent 40+ balls that bounce acceptable well too.

The higher bounce, if it is like that on slower passive shots, it is a bonus for the one not doing that shot - a prime offensive attacking chance, so it is not such a big deal. If the ball doing the higher bounce also bounces like it has a Mexican Jumping Bean inside it to make it bounce every which way but loose, then yeah, that could suck... the Joola 40+ seamed balls used in many USA tourneys from 2014 onwards were like that... heck, even the Flash 40 balls from Joola had real poor QC... you had to dig through 12 of them to find a halfway round one... and the ball wouldn't last the match. The 2016 Joola Teams in USA, you spent more time waking to the control desk to exchange a broken one than you did retrieving balls by the barrier.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Then... there is a crowd so frugal... haven't come up with a name for this crowd yet... they so frugal that Scrooge would scurry to run for cover... these dudes refuse to spend more than $5 USD on their balls for the entire YEAR... yet play in the club every day.

I think some of them do it on purpose... are at the table using a ONE STAR training ball... of course the new dude coming to the table will gladly agree to use his own match ball...

Maybe they are playing the player... :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
I love it, Der Echte. In the '60s and '70s I was an HBS (Hanno Ball Snob) and when Nitakku came out with their peerless 3-star Japan brand in the 1990s, why hell, we guys and gals at the Columbus, Ohio club wouldn't play with any other ball. We were all NBSs.

And we were frugal. At 5-time U.S. Open champ Dal Joon Lee's tt club in Columbus back in the '70s, which became a martial arts dojo and then a beauty parlor, their was one guy who didn't even bother to take the bus back to his pad once the club closed at midnight. Instead he crashed on a beat up old sofa in a back room conveniently located next to a unisex john.

Reactions: thomas.pong